× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: IP Passthrough on MR5100

davewlex
Follower

IP Passthrough on MR5100

Can anyone describe what IP passthrough actually does?  I was looking to only use the modem part of my MR5100 to get internet to my home network.  But from what I read, IP passthrough is NOT the same as bridging.  It looks like it does the WAN on the netgear device and then lets you assign the internal IP side to your network.  If that is true then it would seem I don't want to hook the ethernet to my router WAN and I need to let the netgear also do all the NAT work to keep from getting double NAT'd.  Is that accurate?  I'm a little lost on this and it seems like my network is a little messed up.

Message 1 of 3
LTEJunkie
Tutor

I have same issue. Using MR5100 with a Google Nest router and point. It works for a couple of minutes, then my Google Nest router "loses" the connection (IP?) to the MR5100. I thought turning ON "IP Passthrough" would pass through my assigned IP to my Google Nest router, but it seems unstable and it ultimately fails.

I then don't understand what "IP Passthrough" does if it can't assign the IP address to my Google Router. If it only works if you ethernet to a laptop or something, why would you want to even do that...That would be a 1:1 passthrough.  

Put another way, does the Netgear MR5100 even work with Google products like the Nest Router and Point via the ethernet port? 

Message 2 of 3
LTEJunkie
Tutor

I would also note that the phrase "IP Passthrough" is nowhere to be found in the manual! This is the manual I am using: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MR5100/MR5100_MR5200_UM_EN.pdf

I guess this might be Netgear's fake feature that might only work with their own home mesh routers. How lame. This is going to go back to the seller as it's too proprietary if that is the case.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7