× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

LB1120 Antenna

clydeml
Aspirant

LB1120 Antenna

Two quick questions about antennas. I have an LB1120 modem, first question; can I attach two antennas or just one? second question, if I can only attach one, do I need to use both TS9 connectors?

Thank you

Message 1 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: LB1120 Antenna

Hello clydeml

You can purchase an external multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) antenna for the modem to extend the mobile broadband signal range indoors or in fringe network areas. The external antenna plugs into the two antenna connectors on the modem to boost speeds and extend coverage in buildings or vehicles, or in remote sites where network coverage is sparse.You could, for example, attach the external antenna on a window with a suction cup.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 12
vronp
Guide

I'd love to see a sticky thread of some sort on this issue.

I've been doing a LOT of searching for a QUALITY MIMO antenna for the LB1120 and I have not come up with much so far.

The Netgear branded antenna for the LB1120 is not getting great review on Amazon I'm sorry to say.

Message 3 of 12
clydeml
Aspirant

I ordered two of these (Yagi Directional Roof Antenna 3G/4G/LTE Wide Band 9dBi 800MHz-960MHz and 1.7GHz-2.5GHz Dual Range - Cell Phone Signal Booster Log Periodic Cellular Antenna- TP514) on Amazon. Mount one at 45 degrees and one at 135 degrees. I am in an area where cell phone service is very spotty, but this configuration mounted about 20 feet above ground gives me a solid 4 bars. Cabling is the trick. Pay close attention to the center pins on both male and female ends. there does not seem to be a siongle standard for the center pin, sometimes they are male, sometimes female. I wound up using two of these (TRENDnet Low Loss Reverse SMA Female to N-Type Male Weatherproof Connector Cable (8M, 26.2ft.) TEW-L208) with this (2pcs SMA-TS9 Adapter SMA Female to TS9 Male with Stainless Steel Material). Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 12
vronp
Guide

Thanks very much for the very informative reply.

I like the approach you took and it seems very cost effective compared to what I have seen.

My only worry is that I need Band 12 (B12) support.  The LB1120 supports it and it's on the 700 MHz spectrum.

Did you use off the shelf mounting hardware to get the proper mounting angles?  If so, would you mind posting part numbers?

Thanks again for the great post.

Message 5 of 12
vronp
Guide

I need to find these brackets.

Message 6 of 12
vronp
Guide

This looks like a viable solution.  I think I'll order a couple of these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Proxicast-Universal-Directional-Antenna-700-2700/dp/B00RJQ8RGC/ref=sr_1_2?i...

Message 7 of 12
clydeml
Aspirant

The brackets that came with the antennas have the option to do multiple angles. I do want to note that in my research I found a couple of different articles that stated to mount the second antenna at 135 degrees and not at 315 degrees. From an electronic this doesn't make sense, both should provide the same signal pattern, but I stick with 135.

Message 8 of 12
vronp
Guide

You should find a drain hole in the antenna case.  I have one on the single enclosed Yagi I have.  I believe that is the only reason the antenna has an Up/Down sticker.  In any event, I agree with you....  135 and 315 should be the same I feel....

I would mount so that the drain hole is down.

Message 9 of 12
Garyzx
Aspirant

So your using to of the same antenna's, how are you connecting them to the modem. One to main and the other to div?

Message 10 of 12
nickfragale
Aspirant

@clydeml sounds like you ran into the SMA vs. RP-SMA. They are opposite genders from eachother so they are incompatible. This is to stop people frop plugging in the wrong type of accesory. So when you order cabling and antennas you should make sure everythin is either SMA or RP-SMA.

https://www.gearbest.com/blog/how-to/be-an-rc-god-understanding-fpv-connectors-sma-vs-rp-sma-811

Message 11 of 12

just got a LB1120 and currently using it with the netgear mimo antenna. looking at mounting an outdoor mimo antenna to help with the signal. would the LB1120 beable to drive  http://www.altelix.com/698-2700-MHz-Dual-Polarized-MIMO-Panel-Antenna-p/as0727g10b65m2-nf.htm

or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBSLNJ6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1VATEDV5YSMK&colid=2HLK84OXHSD3C the proxicast mimo antenna?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7