× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: M1 Nighthawk (MR1100-100NAS) w/T-Mobile Broadband Connection

PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

M1 Nighthawk (MR1100-100NAS) w/T-Mobile Broadband Connection

I purchased the MR1100-100NAS (August 2019) and I use T-Mobile for its mobile broadband internet. Initial setup (OOBE) was quick and easy. My M1 is used soley as a modem and I have an Asus RT-AX88U AX6000 that serves as the router. So far, the setup has worked perfect, with only a few hickups.

My M1 seems to drop it's connection (e.g. Mobile Broadband Disconnected) from time to time. With the exception of this past week, it was simple to re-establish the connection. Either a reboot of the M1 or factory reset did the trick. However, this past week my M1 could not re-establish it's broadband connection via reboot or factory reset.

My initial reaction was the sim card had gone bad or T-Mobile had blocked my connection. I tested the sim on another device and ruled out this scenario. This left me wondering about the M1. I found a solution that worked for me, thanks to @Blanca_O and @JohnPeng for posting solutions.

To correct my issue,

1) I upgraded the M1 firmware to 12.06.11.00

2) Created a new APN (Name: Fix; APN: b2b.static, PDP Type: IPv4, PDP Roaming: IPv4)

3) Rebooted a couple times

I am once again connected to the T-Mobile's broadband internet. This worked for me, thought I'd share in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 22

Firmware 12.06.11 is kind of a nightmare for a few of us on here, me and another just downgraded our units to 12.05.05 to address this issue, but thanks for the APN info makes me thinks there update in firmware 12.06.11 for AutoAPN 1.30 (is listed as a feature of the update), points to the root of the connection issue if that was your fix.  thanks for the info, but I will likely stay on 12.05.05 till this is sorted out in the mean time. 

Message 2 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

Hi @BlightedTalon! I'm surprised by the firmware updates; but I can understand because the technology is "newer". Personally, firmware releases should be more stable, not dinging Netgear because I think they do offer good home products but potentially frustering a 1/3 of your customers (ATT, Verizon, Sprint/T-Mobile) because of a bug is not a good idea.

I'm 100% not recommending someone update to the latest fw, simply putting out information that has worked for me. If this helps other people, great! If not, roll-back the firmware.

Message 3 of 22

I am normally one to stay up to date for security reasons but the latest one has to many bugs that affect me and how I use the device I.E. staying on when charging the device over night potentially wasting my data alotment if a device decides to connect to it while at home over night and the like, also the the issue with band selection / not staying connected efectively making the device useless... So until these issues are sorted out I will stay on a stable firmware until such time as issues are addressed... I am a Software Engineer and was a Test Engineer, so I understand things slipping through QA checks but some of these issues are galring of a quick fix, with little testing. not an issue with there hardware as I have 2 of these, just wish they had spent just a few more hours on QA...

Message 4 of 22
TodoTX
Aspirant

I am having the similar issues everyone had.  My router said broadband disconnected.  I have a Tmobile sim.  I rebooted and reset several times, did not fix it.  I saw the post that the issue might be the firmware so I followed the instructions and successfully rolled back the firmware to v.05, changed the APN but it STILL DOES NOT WORK! Please help.  I am at a loss at this point.   I called Tmobile as I was thinking it was maybe the sim, but it is not it is an active sim.  The router looks good with strength, but just does not show are identify the carrier as Tmobile and show 0 of 0.

Message 5 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

I believe it is on T-Mobile's end. The firmware update and APN change worked great a few months ago.

However, I was knocked off the internet yesterday. I checked my account and the line associated with the Netgear modem was no longer associated with a data plan. T-Mobile stated that I had high usage and they would send a refresh signal that will take up to 24 hours. I'm approaching 24 hour mark and I am still waiting.

I'm looking at alternative mobile broadband providers. Nomad internet and OTR mobile look good. While T-Mobile is inexpensive, I can't afford to have the internet dropped mid cycle.
Message 6 of 22
Zach03
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. On otr. Lost signal yesterday 5/15 as well. Do think I am throttled and booted on Tmobile. Otr tried reset still not working.
Message 7 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

I'm thinking it's on T-Mobile's side. The modem no longer shows the carrier and it isn't getting assigned an IP address. I'm going to flash the modem firmware to an older version and hopefully that fixes it.
Message 8 of 22

T-Mobile has down another round of IMEI blocking for the mr1100, if you are on the tablet or phone plans they are blocking this devices IMEI and it will not go online, I Talked to TMO the other day about this, and unless you are on a hotspot plan which you have really ask about it is not advertised on the site at all you have to ask support about it. there is no unlimited for that and will bounce down to 3G as soon as the data is used up and largest offered plan is like 22GB and it isn't really worth the cost. Only real option would be to swap the IMEI of the modem out though I am not sure how to do this directly.

Message 9 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

I think you're right on about TMobile. The service was good while it lasted. Their hotspot plan is garbage. But they are testing (not in my market) home internet for $50/mo. The only thing I don't like about it is you're limited to service at your home address (not mobile).

I'm researching other mobile broadband providers, OTR supports this modem but they use TMobile infrastructure, not sure how that would work. Nomad internet offers TMobile, Verizon, and At&T at different rates, based on the carrier. 4G Antenna is supposed to make a big announcement this coming week.
Message 10 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

----Update----

I was able to the MR1100 online again. The IMEI needed changed. In order to do this, used the DC Unlocker app. It was fairly simple to use and worth the price to get the nighthawk back online. I recommend using a random IMEI generator for your new IMEI.

Message 11 of 22
modernuser
Aspirant

APN/other settings?

I changed the IMEI, but still get the Broadband Disconnected error message

Message 12 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

I've attached my APN settings.

I took a few additional steps when changing the IMEI settings. In order:

1) powered off and unplugged Netgear nighthawk
2) removed sim card
3) plugged in and powered on nighthawk
4) used a IMEI random generator for a Samsung tablet
5) used DC unlocker to change IMEI
6) powered off nighthawk, waited 30 seconds
7) inserted sim card and powered on

I did have to power cycle one more time and I was able to receive data.

You will want to make sure your sim is getting data, test it with a spare device just to rule out the sim is bad.

Best of luck!
Message 13 of 22
modernuser
Aspirant

Still no luck. Why a Samsung tablet?
Message 14 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

I told TMO that this line is for a Samsung tablet 😂

If my IMEI change didn't work, I was thinking I'd try the TMO international 15 gb plan because it states unlimited 4g mobile hotspot. Here's the link: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/global-plus-15gb

If you do this, please update! Would be interested in learning.
Message 15 of 22
modernuser
Aspirant

Would it work with a cell phone IMEI? And I forgot to ask what firmware are you running? I'm feeling SOL.
Message 16 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

Firmware is 12.06.11.00.

Try reaching out to TMO and hear what they can do. They may be able to provide you with more information about your line. Maybe it's as simple as activating a new line and using that sim card in your Netgear nighthawk.
Message 17 of 22
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @modernuser

This link may help you: 

Why am I not able to connect to the T-Mobile Network with MR1100?

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 18 of 22
modernuser
Aspirant

Few more questions:

1. Can you PM me an IMEI for a tablet just like "yours" lol?
  2. What type of plan is linked to the SIM in your hotspot (i.e. T-Mobile One, Magenta, etc.)
  3. Can you PM or post pictures of all relevant settings that may be relevant to if I can get it to work with T-Mobile?

Message 19 of 22
PBnJ4eva
Aspirant

1) Here's a random IMEI generator that I used. https://www.imeifix.com/imei/
2) I'm on TMO military magenta for business. I have this line specifically for tablet.
3) I'm not sure what specifics you're interested in. But I would caution that you remove the sim prior to changing the IMEI, give the modem a few reboots too.
Check the sim too, these can go bad.
Message 20 of 22
modernuser
Aspirant

Can you backup and send your settings to me? I know there's a way to do it in the modem.
Message 21 of 22
modernuser
Aspirant

Can you please backup and save your settings for me? That way I could just upload the backup and cross my fingers? I got a tablet line so I'm really hoping you can help.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series