× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR1100-100EUS problem with roaming

antbg
Aspirant

MR1100-100EUS problem with roaming

Hello everyone,

I bought a SIM here in Greece which can connect with all operators (not at the same time). Here in Greece there are 3 operators basically Cosmote,Vodafone and Wind. The problem is that the M1 chooses to connect only with Vodafone and when I am choosing to connect to another network it just doesn't let me access the internet. I can see from the MCC and the MCC that it connected to one of the other two operators and it shows signal reception, but it says not connected and it doesn't give internet access. To be clear even though the sim was bought here from a greek voip operator it needs roaming to work. I tested the SIM with a smartphone in case there was a problem with it, but as far as I can see the it works with all operators after choosing each one of them with manual network selection. The operator is called intertelecom (https://www.iotsim.gr/) and the sim works with the apn internet, but I haven't managed to make it work. I called them in case the could help but they told me since it is working with a smartphone then this is device issue. If someone knows why this is happening and wants to help I would be really grateful!

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

P.S.: if I use the dedicated sim cards from each one of the operators here in Greece they work with no problem. I tested also another foreign sim card (https://planetsim.gr/en/eurosim-planetsim/) which needs the roaming setting enabled and it behaves the exact same way as the intertelecom one (

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Under the APN setting up, you can find a checkbox for Roaming data. You need to check the box in order to enable roaming.

Please give it  a try.

Message 2 of 10
antbg
Aspirant

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

You mean above the apn settings. I have already done that:

NetgearNighthawkM1_WebUI_1.png

The image was taken from google search as I am not home right now. But this is exactly what I see. Except the fact that my apn settings are different and it doesn't have the ATT logo on top.

Message 3 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Yes. That is the one. By default, roaming data is disabled to prevent user from getting unexpected high roaming charges.

Message 4 of 10
antbg
Aspirant

Yes I have enabled that, otherwise it wouldn't even connect to vodafone. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

Message 5 of 10
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

If so, this may be related to SIM card plan. Please check with the service provider to confirm the SIM can be used on dat only devices for all 3 major carriers. Maybe the SIM card can work on the phone for all 3 carriers.

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
antbg
Aspirant

First of all thank you John for helping out. I started to lose faith when I tried to troubleshoot myself. 🙂

Second, I contacted intertelecom and they told me that if my apn is correclty setup, which it is, then there is no limitation and it should work with all three carriers here in Greece. So, after I contacted them I tested the SIM myself in a smartphone to reassure myself and the case and indeed it is working as it should.

The problem starts when I put the SIM in the M1. 

Let me add another thing: I bought also a SIM card which needs roaming as well (see the one that I am referring on the P.S. on my initial post --> planet SIM) and it behaves the exact same way. The M1 connects only on Vodafone and when I choose one of the remaining two carriers manually the device can't connect and doesn't let me access the internet.

I have reset the device three times, in case the was a parameter that has been set to the wrong value and caused problem, but the problem still shows up. I tried also the telnet trick with the AT commands and I added the B3,B7 and B20 LTE on the menu, which I think these are the three bands that work here in Greece, in case this was the problem but again nothing.

Message 7 of 10
Damianos
Initiate

Betreff: MR1100-100EUS problem with roaming

Antbg,

Did you find the solution?
I’m experiencing exactly the same problem as you.
I’m on vacation in Greece and when I put my origin telecom operator SIM into M1 (roaming data enabled on M1 as well as on SIM itself) the internet connection doesn’t work while it worked when I’ve tested it in my country.
It seems that M1 has some problems with roaming.

Regards,
Damian
Message 8 of 10
antbg
Aspirant

No unfortunately I have not found a solution. Indeed it seems that it has some problems with roaming. It is such a pity considering how expensive the device is.
Message 9 of 10
Damianos
Initiate

To be honest, it is f*cking ridiculous that I pay so much for the device with so simple functionality and it doesn't work as expected.

Very basic models of mobile phones which are much less expensive than M1 are able to roam data.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7