× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR1100 on ATT stops forwarding packets (ethernet connected) after < 1 day until rebooted?

kkma4054
Aspirant

MR1100 on ATT stops forwarding packets (ethernet connected) after < 1 day until rebooted?

Hey, 

I have a MR1110 on ATT, connected via ethernet, static ip -- it works great, but stops forwarding packets out to the internet after < 1 day of uptime. The device is still locally up & pingable -- but won't forward packets out to the internet.

Rebooting via the web gui fixes -- but super frustrating.

Any one experienced this?

HW Version 1.0

PRI Version 04.06

FW Version NTG9X50C_12.05.05.14

Bootloader NTG9X50C_12.05.05.14

GUI Verson MR1100-1A1NAS_04.01.70.06
FW Build 2020/01/24

Thx

Sam

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 11
mmoffitt
Initiate

Re: MR1100 on ATT stops forwarding packets (ethernet connected) after < 1 day until rebooted?

I have the exact same issue.  Wifi router connected to M1 via ethernet.  Router still shows an active connection to the internet and M1 still shows LTE and good signal but nothing can actually talk to the internet.  I've tried a bunch of different things based on other forum.  Finally I gave up and put the M1 on a smart switch and have it power cycle at 4am every morning.  Usually that gets us through the day but sometime I have to cycle power (or reboot in app) later in the day as well.  Frustrating but I can't figure out a fix and want the extra range of the wifi router.

Message 2 of 11
kkma4054
Aspirant

Doh -- nice hack 🙂 

I've tried almost every setting in vain -- great device aside from this, makes it pretty useless as a business device 😕

@mmoffitt wrote:

I have the exact same issue.  Wifi router connected to M1 via ethernet.  Router still shows an active connection to the internet and M1 still shows LTE and good signal but nothing can actually talk to the internet.  I've tried a bunch of different things based on other forum.  Finally I gave up and put the M1 on a smart switch and have it power cycle at 4am every morning.  Usually that gets us through the day but sometime I have to cycle power (or reboot in app) later in the day as well.  Frustrating but I can't figure out a fix and want the extra range of the wifi router.

Message 3 of 11
thewolw
Aspirant

I have a very similar problem and cannot seem to find a solution. The internet stays up for about 50 minutes, then some of the devices can't connect to web anymore. Eventhough, if someone is on a zoom session, the session continues to play. Eventually, the zoom session also stops. We've had the MR1100 since June 2019 and it ran solid. We started having issues about a month or two ago. Could this be a firmware issue? My firmware version is NTG9X50C_12.06.11.00. Does anyone know when this firmware was released?

My current fix is to reboot the MR1100, but that is very disruptive, because it has to be done every 45 mintues or so. Work and school gets disrupted a lot.

Any help is appreciated. 

Message 4 of 11
msteff357
Aspirant

I have been battling a very similar issue.
When I connect my MacBook Pro (MBP) which is running Catalia Version 10.15.6 or 10.15.5 the MBP connects to the Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 fine, but after 'some time' (usually just over 1 hour it seems) the MBP will not be able to connect to any url. 
My wife uses a ChromeBook (running Windows 10) and it can connect to the HotSpot and run fine all day long. 
I have been trying various things such as:
  - clearing the DNS cache on the MBP

- lowering the MTU setting in the Hardware System Setting of the MBP to 1280 (the lowest it can be set to.... it defaults to 1500)

- deleting the WiFi network entirely and have a new one built

I have also connected via USB-C cable, and again, it works for a while but then will lose the ability to reach any site. 
 It seems to totally lock up the Nighthawk HotSpot as well, as my wife's Chromebook loses its ability to connect to anything, and the only thing that resolves it is to 'reset' (power off and back on) the Nighthawk HotSpot. 

AT&T is my provider as well. 

I will add (not to confuse things) that if I connect the MBP to an 'iPhone Personal HotSpot' running on the Verizon Network, that the MBP will stay connected all day without issues. 

I am very interested in finding the solution to this, and would be willing to do some testing if anyine from NetGear has ideas what to do to troubleshoot this.

Thanks, 
Mike

Message 5 of 11
mbroughton02
Aspirant

Add me to the list. Typically requires reboot every 24 hours but sometimes more often. MR1100 on AT&T "Connected Car Unlimited" Plan, connected to a Nighthawk R6700 via ethernet. There must be a reason...

Message 6 of 11
kkma4054
Aspirant

It's strange -- I've had it happen a couple of hours after rebooting, and have had it be fine for 36+ hours straight.

I hacked together some python to detect when it's stuck and automatically reboot via the web interface - I have a second internet connection so it's not super invasive to ongoing calls, crazy to have to do this on a $300 per month service....

Perhaps it's some kind of ATT network condition which isn't handled, or it's some kind of resource state leak.

Please netgear fix this!

Message 7 of 11
thewolw
Aspirant

Mike,

I have both Macs and laptops running windows 10 and see the same problem on both. The problem happens to all the devices connected. I have to restart about every 45 mins. Which is very disruptive to both the kids in their zoon sessions and my work.

I don't know what else to do. I still believe it's a firmware issue. 

Message 8 of 11
gyruss
Aspirant

I think you guys are having the same problem as me. In this link the problem is discussed.

Message 9 of 11
JoeClark00
Aspirant

I am having the same issue, I am lucky to be up an hour now. 

i have been on the phone with ATT for HOURS over this issue. They have pinged, reset, formatted, new SIM card (that was tonight) and this all started about a month ago. I have had my MR1100 ATT since shortly after release. My parents just purchased the SAME model and they are also having the issue and they are less than a mile from my house. I run a buisness through my house and out in the county like I am this is My best source of HIGH speed internet, If any other carrier worked out here at my house I would switch, but here I am stuck. I am up to try just about anything to fix this issue. 

Message 10 of 11
icaruspony
Luminary

The problem is that AT&T is (either intentionally or unintentionally) dropping connections to their web proxy (which forcefully re-routes port 80 and 443 traffic through a server for purposes of monitoring, gathering data or compressing).  This server seems to drop when a certain amount of data has been used and a certain amount of time has passed.

When people call AT&T or file FCC complaints, AT&T either blames the customer's device or uses a technically-irrelevant matter, such as that their plan shouldn't even be used in a hotspot in the first place and cancels or changes the customer's plan.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7