× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR5100 throttles download speed on ethernet upon using IP passthrough

meloserj
Aspirant

MR5100 throttles download speed on ethernet upon using IP passthrough

Hello mates

When I am activating IP Passthrough on my MR5100 for static WAN IP, and use the ethernet port, the download speed throttles to max 200 Mbps although my backbone is 5G and I have 700-800 Mbps on it when using router's wifi without IP passthrough.

Anybody else has this issue? Any solution before contacting support?

Cheers

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
mcuadrado
Guide

Re: MR5100 throttles download speed on ethernet upon using IP passthrough

you are  right 😞 , this is due to different design M5 vs M6. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
Barry56
Aspirant

Hello,
I have information share this you can see this. I hope my information is good. 

If you are experiencing a significant drop in download speed when using IP Passthrough on your MR5100 for static WAN IP and using the Ethernet port, there could be several factors contributing to this issue.

There are some possible explanations and troubleshooting steps to try before contacting support:

Check Ethernet Cable: Ensure that you are using a high-quality Ethernet cable capable of handling the higher speeds. A subpar or damaged cable may not be able to support the full speed of your backbone connection.

Check Device Compatibility: Verify that the device you are connecting to the Ethernet port of the MR5100 is capable of handling speeds higher than 200 Mbps. Some older devices or network interface cards (NICs) may have speed limitations.

Check IP Passthrough Settings: Review the IP Passthrough settings on your MR5100 to ensure they are correctly configured. Double-check that the correct MAC address or device is set for passthrough.

Firmware Update: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your MR5100. Manufacturers often release updates to address bugs and improve performance. Updating to the latest firmware may resolve the issue.

Check for Throttling Settings: Some routers or devices have built-in traffic shaping or QoS (Quality of Service) settings that can inadvertently limit download speeds. Check your router settings to ensure there are no throttling rules in place.

Test Different Devices: Test the Ethernet port with multiple devices to see if the speed limitation is consistent across all devices. If it's not, the issue may be specific to the initial device you used.

Before contacting support, it's always a good idea to document the steps you have taken, any changes you made, and the results of your tests. This information will be helpful when seeking assistance from the manufacturer's support team.

Thanks for read this i hope my information is helpful for you

Message 2 of 14
meloserj
Aspirant

Dear Barry56

Thanks for your kind reply, however your mentioned steps might help newbie users or basic home users who are dealing for first time with professional equipment like MR5100.

FYI, I did all my tests and I am now somehow sure that the throttling is caused by the firmware (NTGX55_12.04.18.00 and earlier) or limitation in netgear internal iptables firewall.

Also in below thread people complained the same:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cell-Service-Mobile-Hotspot/Slow-internet-with-ip-passthrough-mode-...

I was going to do below on my router, but I am not sure if TTL is causing the throttling or not, as on router mode the hotspot is working without any issue even on ethernet, but immediately when moving to IP passthrough, limitation starts. And the back router is not edge router, I tested with several routers from Synology and Linksys.

echo "iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o rmnet_data+ -j TTL --ttl-set 64" > /etc/init.d/ttl.sh
echo "ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o rmnet_data+ -m hl ! --hl-eq 255 -j HL --hl-set 64" >> /etc/init.d/ttl.sh
chmod 755 /etc/init.d/ttl.sh

So please in case you know someone from support, kindly ping him to be in touch with me as my 90 days period expired and I can't open a case directly.

Thanks a lot

Message 3 of 14
meloserj
Aspirant

@JohnPeng 

I tried a lot to contact your support, nobody even bothered himself to call back or answer my query.

May you please just confirm the problem and if Netgear will release a new firmware to solve this issue?

Thanks a lot

Message 4 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Reads like the similar posts from the year 2020 reporting the limited performance of the IP Passthrough mode, while the normal NAT mode does perform in the 700...800 Mb/s, the IP passthrough does never exceed about 200 Mb/s. 

Let's see if we can bring @mcuadrado and @JohnPeng to this coffee round again.

Aside, the only other community member replying was very likely AI generated and contains profile signature Spam.

Message 5 of 14
meloserj
Aspirant

Yeah I already sent email to John and he replied that he will look to the issue although the device is not in high priority list.

Its sad to see the issue as the device costs me a lot upon purchasing a year ago and never tested the IP Passthrough because I didn't have public IP.

As the issue seems resolved in MR6xxx series, hope there would be some small modifications in firmware to make a customization on MR5100.

Cheers

Message 6 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@meloserj wrote:

As the issue seems resolved in MR6xxx series, hope there would be some small modifications in firmware to make a customization on MR5100.

I'm not convinced this is fully fixed. Several recent reports of slower performance in about the 500 Mb/s range there. 

Message 7 of 14
mcuadrado
Guide

Hello, yes, I can confirm issue with IPT and ethernet is resovled in M6 series.

Message 8 of 14
meloserj
Aspirant

Dear @mcuadrado

So this means there is no possibility to fix this issue in M5 series?

Cheers

Message 9 of 14
mcuadrado
Guide

you are  right 😞 , this is due to different design M5 vs M6. 

Message 10 of 14
meloserj
Aspirant

Thanks for confirmation, sadly I should sell my M5 and go for RM520-GL modems although so far I have had 3 Netgear Nighthawk routers 😞

Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@meloserj wrote:

... sadly I should sell my M5 and go for RM520-GL modems ...

...another device with a x62 Qualcomm Chip, just like the M6 or M6 Pro.

Message 12 of 14
mcuadrado
Guide

may I ask why you need IPT , as you can have NAT with DMZ with full tput ? 

Message 13 of 14
meloserj
Aspirant

Have web servers at home and have Public IP, tried to put my home router in DMZ of M5, some ports never opened. I had to do port forwarding on M5 for making it.

Also for XBOX, the same solution I applied.

In general, Netgear should think about this before releasing M5 and throttled the speed. When my tower delivers 700-800 Mbps, so why I couldn't use the IPTT? 

In M1, I was sure that having 200Mbps is somehow perfect in LTE, but when you pay for M5 and 5G, then this throttling is not acceptable.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7