× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR5100 won't connect to Windows 10 pc

CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

MR5100 won't connect to Windows 10 pc

My MR5100 will not connect to my Dell XPS desktop with Windows 10. When it shows up as available it is listed as "hidden ". I go thru set-up: ssid, password, etc and get message it won't connect. PC has Intel AC 7260 network board. Suggestions? Worked with Microsoft today, they couldn't solve.
Router connects to all other devices, including a windows 10 Dell laptop
Message 1 of 19

@CBCrosby8155 wrote:
Router connects to all other devices, including a windows 10 Dell laptop

First, the router does not connect to devices. It is the other way round. Devices connect to the router. I mention that because that tells you where to start looking.

You were on the right lines when you talked to Microsoft. That sounds like a local network setting in Windows on the Dell XPS desktop.

@CBCrosby8155 wrote:
When it shows up as available it is listed as "hidden ".

This hints that you are talking about wifi here. Maybe not. Have you tried wired?

@CBCrosby8155 wrote:
Worked with Microsoft today, they couldn't solve.

Did that include running the network troubleshooter in Windows?

@CBCrosby8155 wrote:
PC has Intel AC 7260 network board.

Tried looking at the Intel site for drivers?

Then there is this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Intel AC 7260

Message 2 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

I have tried connecting via usb cable and ethernet without success.  Drivers are updated.

Dell says my wifi card is too old to be compatible with the MR5100.  Desktop was new in 2014.

Message 3 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

Windows did a quite thorough look at the system, including changing the settings, all without success.

Message 4 of 19
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @CBCrosby8155 ,

Are you saying that USB, Ethernet or WiFi connectivity is not working with Windows 10 PC and MR5100?  If all connection types fail, are you able to provide some detail on the failure?  (i.e No internet or PC just doesnt recognise no matter what)

Message 5 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

Thanks. My Windows desktop won't connect to the MR5100, whether via wifi, when connected via USB cable or connected via ethernet cable. The ethernet on the pc is functioning properly as are the USB ports.
All my other devices connect to the MR5100 via wifi without issue which tells me it is something going on with the wifi card in my pc. I contacted Dell and they indicated that my Intel AC 7260 was not compatible with the MR5100. It is an older pc, about 7 yrs old, but, it connected to previous internet providers routers and connects to my Verizon Jetpack that I currently use for wifi until I can get this figured out.
Hope this answers your questions. Thanks
Message 6 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

Additionally, when I go into set up a new wifi, I go thru all the normal setuo- enter ssid, password, etc and get message that it can't connect.
Message 7 of 19
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @CBCrosby8155 ,

Have you configured the M5 to not broadcast SSID and this is the reason you manually have to input SSID and Password on Windows Desktop?  Or is the M5 broadcasting the SSID as normal but it just does not show on the Windows Desktop list of available WiFi networks?

Regards,

Arodi

Message 8 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

The only time I have had to enter the ssid, etc., is when I go thru the process of trying to set up a new network on the pc.
I am fairly novice on this stuff but have done a lot of research. But, I have not changed any settings on the MR5100, and not sure how I would make that change on it without guidance.

I have been told, rightly or not, that the MR5100 encryption and my wifi card are not compatible. Intel AC7260 and WPA2 Personal AES.
Message 9 of 19
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @CBCrosby8155 ,

You can try the below to confirm if the encryption is the issue:

Test 1 - Whilst connected to M5

- Open preferred web browser

- browse to http//:192.168.1.1

- Login as admin (Default admin password is written on the device label when battery is removed)

- Settings>Setup>Wireless

- Change Encryption type to WPA WPA2 for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

- Retry.  If it fails go to Test 2

Test 2 - Also whilst connected to M5.  After completing this test, make sure to put back to default setting.

- Open preferred web browser

- browse to http//:192.168.1.1

- Login as admin (Default admin password is written on the device label when battery is removed)

- Settings>Setup>Wireless

- Change Encryption type to None for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

- Retry.  If this works then it confirms that your WiFi card does not support the encryption types supported by M5.

If Option 1 works then the workaround maybe to leave it like that.  If Test1 fails but Test 2 works then your only option is to purchase a USB WiFi dongle for the Windows Desktop.

Regards,

Arodi

Message 10 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

Thank you. I will give that a try tomorrow.
Question, when you say connected, exactly what do you mean - wireless connection of mr5100 to pc or should I connect with USB or ethernet cable? Thank you
Message 11 of 19

@CBCrosby8155 wrote:
Thanks. My Windows desktop won't connect to the MR5100, whether via wifi, when connected via USB cable or connected via ethernet cable.

What prevents the connection? Windows?

What messages do you see?

Have you tried running the Windows network troubleshooter?

Windows likes to protect us from new networks that might be evil. In  reality, it often shuts us out of safe networks.

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

I'm told that this is rubbish advice. But it has worked for me and others in the same boat.

Message 12 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

Thanks for the note.

When I click the Network and Settings icon in the task bar, it shows up as 'hidden network'.  When I click on it and try to set it up, adding the ssid and password, the pc tries to connect to the MR5100 but will not, with message saying cannot connect to this network.

I have run the Windows network troubleshooter, in fact I spent almost 2 hours with a Windows tech trying to figure this out and they were not able to get it to work.

I haven't tried setting it up as a private network but will give it a try.

When I do a search/settings/wifi, and click on show available netowrks, it will show up as hidden network on the task bar pup menu.  When I do search/settings/wifi/manage known networks, the network shows up as the name that is assigned to the MR5100.  Clicking takes me to the popup menu from the task bar where the router shows up as hidden - I don't understand why it will show up as the 'named' network when I search/settings/wifi/manage known networks but shows up as hidden from the task bar.  In any event, when I try to connect, same message always shows up - cannot connect to this network.

I spoke with Intel yesterday and the rep said that due to the age of my pc and the Intel wifi card (about 7yrs) that I would have to go back to Windows 8 or install a new wifi card.  The current card (Intel AC 7260) will not support the MR5100.  Perhaps that is true and I will certainly install a new card if that is fact, just trying to go thru all options prior to doing that.  And most importantly, want to make sure that the new wifi card will support the MR5100.

Message 13 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

I just tried going the private setting route and still won't connect.  It still shows up at hidden on the task bar.

Message 14 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

I am not able to do the test you suggest because my pc will not connect to the MR5110, thus no internet access.  Perhaps you can suggest another way to do it.

Currently, my internet access is provided by my Verizon jetpack.

Message 15 of 19
ArodiD
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @CBCrosby8155 ,

Please try the steps via one of the devices which can successfully connect.  Apologies, I thought your connectivity issue was only via WiFi.  I didnt realise you meant USB and Ethernet does not work either.  This is very strange that all connection types do not work for you.  Can you please PM with your contact details so that I can work closely with you to find a solution without having to purchase any additional equipment.

Regards,

Arodi

Message 16 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

I just did a test on my ethernet and it shows it doesn't have a valid IP config

Message 17 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

dumb question, but how do I pm you?

Message 18 of 19
CBCrosby8155
Aspirant

just checked the settings on the Verizon jetpack that i am currently using to gain internet access.  It has the same encryption type as the MR5100.  WPA2 Personal AES.  

Wonder why the pc connects just fine to the Jetpack but not the MR5100

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7