× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR6150 - Cannot connect to 5G only bands

axalam9
Aspirant

MR6150 - Cannot connect to 5G only bands

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Netgear M6 MR6150 and for some reason I have lost the ability to connect to only "5G" bands under CELLULAR > BAND REGION. I used to have this option before. Under Cellular now I only have 2 options, "4G" and "ALL (4G + 5G)". 

I already had the MR1100 and I bought the MR6150 specifically because of the 5G capabilities. Without having the ability to connect to 5G, this is a loss for me. I am now getting similar speeds to the MR1100 on my MR6150; and this makes no sense at all. The router keeps connecting to the 4G bands and I have no way to select only 5G bands. I used to have this ability before and now with the latest firmware, the option disappeared. I paid over $600+ for this device. I am on the latest firmware NTGX65_12.01.47.00.

Can someone please help me or guide me on how do I get the "5G" only band selection under CELLULAR

Attaching image as well

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 3.17.24 AM.png

Message 1 of 9
TeeJay74
Virtuoso

Hi,

In my understanding "5G only" means using 5G SA(standalone).

Br,TeeJay74

Message 2 of 9
axalam9
Aspirant

Yes that is correct. I used to have that option before and now it has disappeared. I just want to use 5G bands.

Message 3 of 9
JT240Z
Luminary

Not sure that SA is supported yet in any M6 versions.  Maybe John can chime in to clarify.

Message 4 of 9
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

@JT240Z wrote:

Not sure that SA is supported yet in any M6 versions.  Maybe John can chime in to clarify.

Yes. We disabled 5G SA support in the latest release with the following considerations.

1. Both AT&T and Verizon don't support 5G SA. So the device was not certified by them with 5G SA

2. T-Mobile supports 5G SA, but based on our testing, the device performance in SA mode is poorer than in NSA mode since in NSA mode, the device can use the LTE connections for data transferring.

If you do need 5G SA support to test on provide network, please reach out to me directly. We can discuss how this can be supported.

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
rensahobo
Aspirant

I had the same problem, my device couldn't connect to 5G  

MR6110-111AUS
NTGX65_10.01.49.00 (2022/09/09)

Message 6 of 9
DA13
Aspirant

I need to restore 5G SA capability on my MR6150. 

Message 7 of 9
the_vulcan
Aspirant

I'm running on tmobile and when I had SA only option I got alot better performance than NSA I would prefer the option be restored even if obv. not as default.

Message 8 of 9
mike625
Aspirant

Same issue that is being reported - have sent an e-mail and model.json

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements