× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: MR6500 Speed Slow When Connected via Ethernet

DBM1
Follower

MR6500 Speed Slow When Connected via Ethernet

I have a MR6500 in ethernet mode connected to my LAN router.  I have the battery taken out, which is required to deactivate WiFi and activate ethernet mode, which seems to be working fine.  Expect the download and upload speeds, are slower when I am in ethernet mode.  When I leave the battery in and the WiFi is on and the ethernet cable is still connected to my router.  The download and upload speeds are 10Xs faster.  I am connected to my LAN router in both cases, not the MAR6500.  We don't have great internet service where I am at and I need a router to connect my cameras & security system.

So you might be asking, so if I am getting 10Xs the download speed and upload with the ethernet still connected and WiFi on, why don't I just stick with that?  Well I did and my ethernet connection was either going to sleep or some sort of conflict that was dropping the ethernet connection on the router after a day or so.  The only way I could fix it was to unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back into the router and then it would start working again.  I was told by a support rep that I shouldn't have my WiFi on if I am using the ethernet port.  They stated that was why I my ethernet connection was dropping.  

Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi DBM1, 

Are you still experiencing this?
Please provide the device SKU (e.g. MR6500-1A1NAS). 
What is the model number of your WiFi router? 
Did you setup the MR6500 into IP Passthrough mode? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Please capture a model.json file and send PM to me.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Also provide the router brand and model. We will check whether we can reproduce.

Thanks

John

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7