× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1 Slow

IceMichael
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk M1 Slow

Hi,

it is the Nighthawk M1 mobile router that I purchased 2020.

Hardware version: 1.0

PRI version: 11.01

Firmware version: NTG9X50C_12.06.12.00

Same bootloader version

Firmware build date: 2020/04/26

Internet is slow. Whether I connect via LAN or WiFi does not matter. I have to say, I use this router without battery and always on cable power because I actually use it as router for my local network.

The thing is that it is SOMETIMES fast enough with 200 MBit/s. But ever so often it goes down to 12 MBit/s. Sometimes, reboot helps, sometimes not. It seems to be a game of chance. If it is fast, it will without restart go down. Sometimes after an hour, sometimes after over two days, it is random.

The SIM card from my ISP (o2) is a dual SIM card which means that I can use a duplicate in my mobile phone -> there I do NOT see slow Internet at any time, so it is NOT because of my ISP that just provides slow Internet speeds. (I also exchanged these SIM cards with one another, no change)

The thing is: I know that there are two Internet/LTE "poles"/cells around in my area (sorry if this is the wrong English word). Maybe one is slow, one is fast? I don't know. Optimally, it should be able to combine them (I forgot the technology name for that).

Any way, some stats that I currently see in M1 Diagnostics admin screen:

EC/IO: 4 dBm

Quality: 55 dBm

RSSI: -66 dBm

RSCP: -66 dBm

Of course, I will now also check what the cell ID is when network is high but well... Tedious.

Any idea of what I could do? M1 does not have much to configure, unfortunately...

I appreciate any helpful input!

All the best,

Michael

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 2
IceMichael
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1 Slow

Okay, interesting finding right now...

It jumps into WCDMA when it is slow. When I fix it at LTE, it is fast... But RSRQ jumps around between -8 and -12, so from "good" to "fair" (yellow?). This still seems like the best option...

But this means that actually my mobile location is not really great, right?

But still: It does select a 3G cell instead of a LTE cell because it has slightly better connection values? Is this the heuristic implemented in the M1? What is the idea of it, it seems like a horrible decision.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7