× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Nighthawk m1 Antennas

Toogy1206
Aspirant

Nighthawk m1 Antennas

Hey everyone.  I have a quick question that i cant seem to find a clear answer for.  Im new to this.  I have a nighthawk m1 and im using it as my main source of internet at my home.  If I were to attach antennas to it would that boost my LTE speeds or boost the wifi signal the device creates?  Not gonna be an issue if my deprioritization kills my speeds but I have yet to be able to test that.  Hope it does not.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 1 of 6
Toogy1206
Aspirant

Message 2 of 6
UK-based
Luminary

Here's the antenna I'm using. I posed a question at the end of that post as to whether or not the internal antennas are disabled when the external antenna ports are used - it seems that they are.

Like you, I'm using the M1 for 24/7 internet access at home. The addition of external antennas should improve the signal strength from the mast, which in my case improved download speeds. The antenna won't improve your WiFi signal strength in the house. There is an option in the web-based GUI under Settings > Setup > Wireless > Global Wireless Settings > WiFi Range, which can be set to either Short, Medium or Long. If you're using the "Netgear Mobile" Android or iOS app, this setting is under Settings > WiFi > WiFi Range. I've got mine set to Long. The reason for these settings is that the M1 is of course primarily intended as a battery powered mobile hotspot, so if you're working close to it, the Short setting will conserve battery charge. And the fact that it's designed as a mobile hotspot means that the relatively small internal WiFi antennas aren't going to give the same range as a modem/router intended for household distribution.

The solution I chose was to connect the M1 via Ethernet to an unmanaged Gigabit Ethernet switch, into which I have 2 access points connected to give me dual-band WiFi coverage throughout the house. This works well. However, there is an issue with the Ethernet port sleeping after a period of activity - this may have been solved in some releases.

The other issue with using the M1 for 24/7 internet access is the fact that an upgraded mains charger will probably be needed to run the M1 without its battery. See this post for more info on both the Ethernet port sleeping and the battery upgrade requirement - there are more links in the post that expand on the detail.

I wish you success Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
Richard_J
Tutor

If you want to improve the data speed for internet connection, you need buy an LTE antenna for Nighthawk M1

If you want to extend the WiFi coverage, you buy a WiFi antenna. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (US)
Message 4 of 6
Jensmobile
Aspirant

Hi, there are two  antenna slots for you to insert an external antenna to your netgear M1 MR1100 to boost the signal strength when you are at a rural area where the signal strenght is weak.

Message 5 of 6
MAGADE
Guide

So, to be clear, the extern antenna connector TS9 is for LTE antenna, NOT FOR WIFI. 

If you need wifi range boost, you need to try to select long range wifi signal in web interface or connect a wifi extender device.

The TS9 connector will help you to got a signal boost about range (distance) not boost the SPEED TRANSFERT in my mind.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series