× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Re: Usb cable and ethernet cable not working

hummer1986
Aspirant

Usb cable and ethernet cable not working

Hello! Dose anyone know how i can use usb and ethernet together? I try to share internet to both. If i turn usb on it will turn off the ethernet cable. The reason i want to use the usb cable is because it's faster mbit on my internet. Don't know why but i lose 30-40 mbit. Fastest device i have is a vivo nex s and it will give me 30 mbit more than this device. And thats a bit strange 😞 This i s a good device but not that good compared to my cellphone. I connect the ethernet cable to my vpn router and my thought is to connect usb to my computer. But that dosen't work. Any advice?

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

this is directly from the manual:

When you are using an Ethernet connection, you can use the USB type C cable and the AC adapter to
recharge the mobile router battery.

You cannot use an Ethernet connection and a tethered USB connection at the same
time to access the mobile router. Creating a tethered USB connection puts the
LAN/WAN port to sleep. To use the LAN/WAN port later, disconnect the USB
connection, press the Power button, and wait for the LAN/WAN port to wake up.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MR1100.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Not 100% because I don't have one. 

When you connect the M1 to the router, are you placing the router in access point mode? The M1 has an integrated router function and running them both would have you in a double nat. 

Message 2 of 11
hummer1986
Aspirant

Hi! I don't think i can change any modes. I find something that is called dhcp and it's on. It's confusing to me why they build this hotspot router and it can only provide one ip when a cable is pluged in. I also need to config the usb from data+charging to only charging. Otherwise it will cut off the ethernet cable. It has two outputs usb and ethernet. Wifi still works with one off these cable plugde in. I think the problem is netgear and how they build things but this dosen't make any sence to me. 

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting to? 

Message 4 of 11
hummer1986
Aspirant

I'm connection to a vilfo vpn router. But it dosen't matter if it's a router. I tested to connect direct to my pc and it's the same

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

I get you want usb and ethernet to work at the same time. As you've said, they don't. 

so your option is to get the router setup functioning properly. 

You either get the MR1100 running in passthrough mode so the router is handling the DHCP

Or you get the router running in access point mode (or whatever your vilfo does)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Nighthawk-m1100-IP-passthrough/td-p/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/How-to-configure-Nighthawk-M1-as-4G-...

Message 6 of 11
hummer1986
Aspirant

Sorry if don't understand you fully. The ethernet cable don't get power when the usb cable is connected. Is this normal? Is one thing if it's collide with otherthings. But this just shut the power off in ethernet connection. If i do as you typing will it turn the power on?

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

this is directly from the manual:

When you are using an Ethernet connection, you can use the USB type C cable and the AC adapter to
recharge the mobile router battery.

You cannot use an Ethernet connection and a tethered USB connection at the same
time to access the mobile router. Creating a tethered USB connection puts the
LAN/WAN port to sleep. To use the LAN/WAN port later, disconnect the USB
connection, press the Power button, and wait for the LAN/WAN port to wake up.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/MR1100.aspx

Message 8 of 11
hummer1986
Aspirant

Ok! I thank you for your support. Then i can not do anything about it. Sad they didn't program it in that way. I going to test with a usb to ethernet adapter. Maybe i will lose speed on the internet... but it's a try. Strange why im losing speed with ethernet cable. My networkscard is 1 gb/s and the mobile router is 500 mbit what iv'e found out. I understand when i connect two routers i can loose speed but not direct to my pc with ethernet cable. I'm losing around 30 mbit.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Try a different router. Your is a vpn router designed to route traffic through a vpn. 

and make sure you're not running the double nat (dual router) setup. either the M1 in passthrough or the router in AP. 

Message 10 of 11
hummer1986
Aspirant

Yes but i don't use vpn router when i'm losing speed. I thought from the begining that it must be the vpn router fault why im losing speed. But that was not the case. The mobile router is droping speed on ethernet compared to usb. I wonder if other people has the same issue

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series