Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cirle Not Blocking an IP Though History Shows it as Blocked

Jahli_Grene
Tutor

Cirle Not Blocking an IP Though History Shows it as Blocked

I'm using the Circle 1st gen app with my Orbi RBR50 Router. (Firmware version V2.5.1.16) We're trying to limit the time our kids spend playing Minecraft on an external server. Originally, this seemed to work fine, but today I noticed them playing even though the app shows the site as blocked. Then, when I reviewed the history in the Circle app this evening, I noticed that the IP is shown as being blocked repeatedly (every few minutes, in fact), even though it never was. It would be one thing if it wasn't working, my problem is that Circle appears to think it is working, but it isn't. Is there anything I can do about this, or should I just switch to DNS based parental controls?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Jahli_Grene, 

Please check out the following article from Circle for more info.

https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026672951-How-does-Circle-Manage-Minecraft-

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
Jahli_Grene
Tutor

Thanks for the response, Christian.

That said, your response really just underscores the problem. Circle is NOT working for us as that article says it will. The server in question is remote. (My kids use it to play with some family that is a few states away.) And the server will show up in the history. But if I block that server, Circle will show that it blocked a connection to that server repeatedly when, in fact, it didn't. Basically the block and the reporting aren't working at all. The net result is that that usage reports are also totally off (no time will be reported rather than the hour spent.) Hence my question as to whether I'd be better of with manual DNS blocking.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jahli_Grene, 

I can see if our support team can reach out for further investigation. If you wish to be contacted, please provide me with the following info in a private message. 

Email:

Phone:

Preferred Contact Time: (including timezone)

Product Model:

Serial Number:

Regards,

Christian 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7