Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Opera Browser

LukasJ
Aspirant

Opera Browser

I'm new to Circle -- my child is using Opera as a browser and I noticed that even though I set his device to prohibit Instagram and Youtube he is still able to access them through the browser. Has anyone else encountered this? Suggestions on how to address browsers that have what I guess are built-in apps?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Opera Browser

I believe opera has an optional VPN built into it. That can get around some types of blocking.

there's always going to be someway around blocking if your child is smart enough or can google.

Suggestions? take the pc/laptop/tablet away when busted using them sites. 

Or lock down the operating system so they can't put programs on it that can get around blocking.  

Message 2 of 6
LukasJ
Aspirant

Thanks. I'm not very computer savvy. My kid is far more technologically advanced than I am already and taking AP Comp Sci, so I'm at a decided disadvantage. What browsers are easier to "lock down" to prevent adding a VPN or proxy? Does "disallowing VPN & Proxy" on Circle prevent adding a VPN (he could only get the "free" ones) if it's not already built in to the browser like with Opera?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

When someones already several steps ahead of you and only getting further ahead, it might be time to talk to them about why you're trying to restrict sites and for what purpose. Otherwise their goal is to get around your firewall/blocking attempts just as much as it is to get to the actual sites. 

And if you try hard enough, theres ways around most blocking software if you're dedicated enough. Especially when the person setting them up, isn't an expert in the matter. 

I'd like to say parental controls/circle/armor work great but in my experience, it works with people who are still children and aren't actively searching for ways around it like teenagers do. 

Message 4 of 6
LukasJ
Aspirant

Yes, I see that. Thoughts on dumping Opera, resetting his computer with me as adminstrator using Microsoft Edge and giving him user account?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can try. But even that route has ways around it. Like booting off a jump drive and running off that. or even using a jumpr drive and running a browser in a portable app. etc. 

To truly stop someone who is dedicated to finding a way around the censors/blocks and has the education to do it, you'd need to take away the pc. 

Again, I encourage you to have open converstations with them about the dangers of browsing certain content. You can do your best to keep them away from it but it just makes them more curious in my experience.  Especially when they know more than you about computer/IT.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7