Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to downgrade firmware. Requests Security Questions I never setup

DK12103
Aspirant

Unable to downgrade firmware. Requests Security Questions I never setup

I'm on this journey to downgrade my ORBI RBR50 firmware from v2.7.4.24 to v2.6.1.40.    The reason I'm downgrading is that v2.7.4.24 no longer is working with Disney Circle+,   Bedtimes and site blocking is no longer work and is causing quite a bit of pain for my wife and I with our son.     Not sure of the wisdom of Netgear to all break with Disney Circle but that's for another post.    

I have found the files v2.6.1.40 to upload manually but it asks for security questions that I never setup and now I'm stuck and as I mentioned we're no longer in control of the sites and time due to Disney Circle no longer working.     How can I get around this?

I'm in need of some help.   Thanks in Advance. 

Please help in alleviating the pain and suffering.    

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unable to downgrade firmware. Requests Security Questions I never setup

@DK12103 wrote:

it asks for security questions that I never setup and now I'm stuck

Are you using

• a physical Disney Circle+ device, or
  • the Disney Circle product which was offered on the Orbi product some years ago?
    and this subscription is current?

I believe that you are correct that Netgear no longer offers Disney Circle for use with Netgear products.

https://www.netgear.com/home/services/circle-smart-parental-controls/?_ga=2.268778865.1852460005.170... 

My first thought is that upgrading to Smart Parental Controls is the correct solution.

However..... To address the specific question asked, when an attempt to open the Orbi web interface rejects the password three times in a row, the router opens a Password Recovery page that offers to reset the password if the user:

• Can input the serial number of the router (which proves that they have physical possession of the router), and
  • Can answer some security questions that were supposed to have been set up during the initial configuration.

When the user cannot do this, there is only one way to gain access to the router web interface: perform a Factory Reset.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings  

While this may address the problem temporarily, I am not confident that it is the correct solution. Netgear is able to force routers to update firmware, and the system that you manually set back to v2.6.1.40 may simply update to v2.7.4.24 the next night.

Message 2 of 3
Liam_Lucas
Aspirant

Re: Unable to downgrade firmware. Requests Security Questions I never setup

@CrimpOn wrote:

@DK12103 wrote:

it asks for security questions that I never setup and now I'm stuck

Are you using

• a physical Disney Circle+ device, or
  • the Disney Circle product which was offered on the Orbi product some years ago?
    and this subscription is current?

I believe that you are correct that Netgear no longer offers Disney Circle for use with Netgear products.

https://www.netgear.com/home/services/circle-sub of the day nl/?_ga=2.268778865.1852460005-1232324510.1698687834  

My first thought is that upgrading to Smart Parental Controls is the correct solution.

However..... To address the specific question asked, when an attempt to open the Orbi web interface rejects the password three times in a row, the router opens a Password Recovery page that offers to reset the password if the user:

• Can input the serial number of the router (which proves that they have physical possession of the router), and
  • Can answer some security questions that were supposed to have been set up during the initial configuration.

When the user cannot do this, there is only one way to gain access to the router web interface: perform a Factory Reset.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings  

While this may address the problem temporarily, I am not confident that it is the correct solution. Netgear is able to force routers to update firmware, and the system that you manually set back to v2.6.1.40 may simply update to v2.7.4.24 the next night.

not actually using a physical Disney Circle+ device or the Disney Circle product offered on the Orbi. Upgrading to Smart Parental Controls could be a solution. However, if locked out of the Orbi web interface, a factory reset might be necessary, though it's not a long-term fix. Netgear can force firmware updates, potentially overwriting manual changes.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7