Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best router for EE G Fast Connection

paulebble
Aspirant

Best router for EE G Fast Connection

Hi all,
I live in the UK and my ISP is EE. I have recently upgraded my package to G Fast broadband.
I was wondering if netgear have a router which is compatible with the g fast connection.
EE supplies me with a BT hub which is connected to the EE hub. The EE hub I have connected to a netgear 24 port unmanaged switch. I was wondering if someone could tell me the best compatible router I could use instead of the EE hub and BT combo?
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers
Message 1 of 22
vintagetj59
Aspirant

Hello i'm probably in the wrong area but i'm so lost this was my only choice, I just have a question, I am trying to update my router with that nighthawk thing and it keeps sending me to router login asking for my user name and password, well i guess i dont have one so how do i update if i cant login ? any help will be appreciated since support want help me

Message 2 of 22

@vintagetj59 wrote:

Hello i'm probably in the wrong area ...

Not so much the wrong area as in the wrong message.

You have hijacked a question from someone with a completely different problem.

Go start your own question. It doesn't matter too much where you start, someone will probably pick it up. A good place might be the section for the hardware you are trying to fix. But please not not just tag on to the end of someone else's conversation.

Message 3 of 22

@paulebble wrote:

I live in the UK and my ISP is EE. I have recently upgraded my package to G Fast broadband.

I haven't seen any reports here of G Fast users, but first we need to know what you are looking for.

@paulebble wrote:
I was wondering if netgear have a router which is compatible with the g fast connection.

Routers don't care about your Internet connection. They will eat whatever your modem feeds them.

This bit is puzzling:

EE supplies me with a BT hub which is connected to the EE hub.

You have two "hubs"? What are these unnamed devices?

If both are routers, that is a good way to cause local chaos.

Ideally you want something that acts as a modem, and only a modem, in front of a router.

My experience is that BT's "hubs" are modem-routers. The bugger is that you simply cannot put them into modem-only mode. I ditched mine and use a Netgear modem that feeds a Netgear router.

It might also help if you said what you want this router to do. If it is simply to provide better wifi, then a router can work in wireless access point mode, or you can buy a wifi extender.

It is hard to tell what is best for you without more information.

Message 4 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

This is what EE supplies me with and the BT engineer installed in my house.
A BT G Fast modem MT992 (Huawei). This is connected to the BT master socket (g fast 5C), using the DSL socket.
The above is then connected to the EE Smart hub using the LAN socket.
BT engineers have been out several times so I would assume the BT device is the modem and the EE smart hub is the router.
I am finding this set up unstable and would like a modem/router that I can use which would go through my netgear switch (JGS524).
I have a netgear nighthawk XR500 gaming router which gets me Wi-Fi upstairs.
I have a netgear nighthawk AC1900 Wi-Fi vdsl/adsl modem router which I cannot get to use instead of my EE smart hub as net gear said it is not compatible with the GFast connection. So I would like to know the best netgear modem/router for my system?
I hope this helps?
Message 5 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

The AC1900 modem router is the D7000 model.
Message 6 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Looks like the EE Hub does only support ADSL/VDSL, no G.fast - so another box in front is required. Not sure if this BT Hub is the right thing as @michaelkenward already mentioned, people on the EE community (->EE Fibre Max 2 Installation Review (G.fast)) talk of Openreach providing a white Huawei G.fast modem which connects via a WAN port to the EE Smart Hub. Similar information "Consumers who order a G.fast line will be visited by an engineer (a self-install solution is coming here) and they will most likely provide you with a new Master Socket (NTE5C) and a modem (Huawei MT992), which can be plugged into an existing router." on -> Openreach List 81 New UK Areas for G.fast Ultrafast Broadband (November 2018 UPDATE)  

PS. A completely unqualified remote view from Switzerland to the UK telco installation market - so I can be completely wrong. And completely buffed reading about the various master sockets, with a specific one requied for G.fast .. hm, these are just to wires 8-)

To my knowledge, Netgear does not offer G.fast modems or G.fast routers as of writing. 

Message 7 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I already have the bt open reach Huawei router and G fast master socket. I think maybe EE are not ready for this technology yet.
Message 8 of 22

@paulebble wrote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I already have the bt open reach Huawei router and G fast master socket. I think maybe EE are not ready for this technology yet.

So just ditch the EE thing and connect your switch to the BT Openreach Huawei modem.

Is the BT G Fast modem MT992 a modem or a modem router?

If just a modem, then you should be able to put what you want as a router after it.

The D7000 is a modem/router. The modem bit is DSL and is probably useless for G Fast. You can use it as a router only device.

There is support for the D7000, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See the section Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service.

Message 9 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Huawei MT992-10 G.fast upstream terminal == plain modem.

Message 10 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

Yeah the open reach modem is just a modem. I’ll give a go tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Message 11 of 22

Should be dead easy, but remember that some "just a modem" devices (Netgear's DM200 for example) have limited router features and need to be tweaked to turn that off.

Message 12 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

... but remember that some "just a modem" devices (Netgear's DM200 for example) have limited router features and need to be tweaked to turn that off.

Well, not all vendors are selling modems and deliver them with a full router and NAT config luckily, and providing documentation where the information on how to convert the to what they are supposed to be somewhere well hidden, and even of configured as a modem not being transparent as a modem should be. Nightmare!

Message 13 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

Hi,
I tried setting up my D7000 to the modem as per the netgear manual and for some reason it won’t connect to the internet? I obtained the login details for the broadband and it still won’t connect. The modem is showing it’s connected to the internet it just won’t come through the D7000?
Message 14 of 22
schumaku
Guru

The D7000 wo't be able to reach the high speed data rates as it does not support G.fast - waste of money spent for the fast service.

I would assume however that  the EE fibre broadband might allow VDSL/ADSL in a PPPoE encapsulation as explained here https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/home-broadband-ee-tv-home-phone-and-4gee-wifi/home-broadband/what-are...

Message 15 of 22

@paulebble wrote:
The modem is showing it’s connected to the internet it just won’t come through the D7000?

How is the D7000 showing this?

Message 16 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

The modem is the Huawei device with the green led showing it is connected to the internet and the Netgear D7000 is what I would be using as the router.
Message 17 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Aehm trying to use the D7000 using the Ethernet WAN port, connected to the Huawei modem Ethernet port?

Message 18 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

I tried that and it was still the same?
Message 19 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Still, there migth be some configuration for the WAN/In ternet access required, ... PPPoE, username/password, ...?

Message 20 of 22

The manual (see above) has its own section Specify a Cable or Fiber Connection With a Login Requirement and PPPoE Service

Message 21 of 22
paulebble
Aspirant

It has a set up screen where I enter the user name and password to access the broadband, and to enter PPPoE etc...
I filled them in as per isp and still same.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7