Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing "admin" name on D7000-100NAS

MrVee
Aspirant

Changing "admin" name on D7000-100NAS

I purchased a new AC1900 D7000 Nighthawk modem/router and wanted to change its factory default administrator name "admin" and password "password".  I changed the default password from "password" to a strong 23 character password with mixed upper and lower case letters, special characters and numeric.  Part 1 completed!  I then tried to find a way via Netgear Genie to change the default administrator account from "admin".  No luck!

I then called Netgear's Tech Support (888-638-4327) in India and spoke with "Jacob"  after several minutes of searching on his end he informed me that the default administrator name of "admin" can not be change.  Part 2 of my efforts failed.

So again:  The administrator default name "admin" on the D7000 (firmware v1.0.1.48_1.0.1) CAN NOT be changed! 

Very poor programming on Netgear's part.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 2
William10a
Master

Re: Changing "admin" name on D7000-100NAS

I have found one thing that may help

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Change-default-quot-admin-quot-web-based-adm...

This person wrote a scrip that can allow up to four peopple each their own users name from what was reading in the postings from netgears web site.

I agree that it was a very dum move on netgears parts to remove one layer of security from the router as almost everyone knows the default users name and password by heart.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7