Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D6300 Media Server Issues - Pls Help

KS790
Aspirant

D6300 Media Server Issues - Pls Help

Hi,

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to show that i have put in quite a bit of effort to date, rather than just throwing my hand up for help 🙂

I have had the D6300 for approximately 3 months, and the internet connectivity is great - virtually flawless, quick, and my wireless connection within the house (and using the WN3000RP) is brilliant.

I am using a mixture of WIFI notebooks, Android phone, Apple Iphone and Ipad all with next to no problems (compared to the major issues with the old DG834GT)

I am at the end of my patience with trying to get a constant stream via the ReadyShare DLNA setup - using an external WD 2TB HDD, connected to the D6300 USB port.

I am streaming to either or a PS3, and a WDTV Live - and i am getting the same issue.
The PS3 sits next to the WN3000RP and gets 100% WiFi signal, the WDTV Live is 2 rooms over and gets a strong signal from both the router directly and the range extendar (whichever on i am using)

Turn on either PS3 or brand new WDTV Live, everything starts up, but not all files on the HDD are available, refresh, or disconnect, sometimes get more files, sometimes less. Everytime you refresh it gives you a different amount, but never the whole lot.

Pick a movie (any format) and away it plays, very smoothly.

Then it disconnects from the Media Server, and when you search for it, it has disappeared. After a few minutes it comes back up, but the files are missing, or you go through the step of refreshing them to find more files.

It can be 5 minutes, 20 minutes, its very random, however, i dont lose my internet connection when the media server disconnects.

I am pretty techy, and have read a lot on this, and am devastated I cant get this (vital) feature to work for me.

What i have tried
- Original factory firmware
- Upgraded to V1.0.0.30
- Connected both USB ports on the router (only 1 drive at a time)
- Used a FAT 32 (16Gb & 500Gb) format drive with a mixture of movie files
- Used an NTFS (WD 2TB) format drive with a mixture of movie files
- Have setup a Readyshare Cloud account
- Have connected the PS3 to the router directly (wifi) and to the Range Extender - same with the WDTV Live.
- Turned on "Enable WMM"
- Turned off "Enable WMM"

All with the same result - drop outs !

I have spent a tonne of time taking my DVD collection and putting it onto the HDD so i can share it between the bedroom, study and loungeroom.

All my gear is gigabit, however for the time being i cant run cables - it has to be wireless. Whether internet browsing, putting the router under load, connecting multiple devices, multiples os' - i have been very happy with its performance, and it has been fine.

I just cant get through 5-10-20 minutes of starting to watch a movie, and bang, it disconnects.

I have seen one or two others with this prob, and they have replaced their router but to no avail.

I did look into a QoS priority list, however, in reading thought the Enable WMM was supposed to give this priority? Also, when checking the Priority Rule List, I have 27 Priority rules added, for a tonne of different games i dont own and for Kazaa, eMule and other programs that i have never used - are these default on the router, or could i have bought a router than someone previously owned.

Really frustrated, hoping someone out there can give me some tips on setting this straight, and getting me 100% happy with this product.

cheers
Message 1 of 8
shardlojik
Aspirant

Probably not what you want to hear, but have you thought about using Homeplugs (Ethernet over power)? I use them to get video via DNLA from NAS/Mac to PS3/Bluray. No dropouts or buffering.
Message 2 of 8
kostaf
Novice

I have the same issue as I think every other d6300 will also have.

I believe it is caused by the dlna server always reindexing the file list.

This also explains the random times.

Please let me know how you go because I need to resolve the same issue.
Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would test by connecting usb drive to a PC and then try to stream.

The client cards should be one these listed for max throughput.

[LEFT][SIZE=1][FONT=FuturaBT-Light]Use laptop with 3x3 450 Mbps adapter like

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=FuturaBT-Light][SIZE=1]Centrino

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=FuturaBT-Light][SIZE=1]®

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=FuturaBT-Light][SIZE=1]6300/5300, or 3x3 802.11ac adapter

[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

[FONT=FuturaBT-Light][SIZE=1]for maximum performance

Trying to stream from a router usb 2 port wirelessly in my opinion is always going to be a problem. The advertising on this router is a little misleading IMO. In not what it says but rather what it doesn't say.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
Message 4 of 8
KS790
Aspirant

Thanks for the idea, I'll try the USB ans pc option and update accordingly
Message 5 of 8
kostaf
Novice

Can any NETGEAR Techs help with this?

I still have the same issue and I have the latest firmware
Message 6 of 8
zeuss
Aspirant

I think you can contact NETGEAR support team and there should be latest firmware and should fix this DLNA dropped issue.
Message 7 of 8
nielolee
Aspirant

I can confirm that enabling "Media Server = on" in the routers admin login causes this issue of dropouts and slow to indexing of hardrive content (sometime less files appear / sometimes more), I use a WDTVLive media player to stream content wireless from an external 2GB WD USB3.0 Harddrive that is connected directly to the D6300.

You can always turn "Media Server = Off" and still stream movies in the WDTVLive by connecting to your movie library hardrive via the WDTVLive find "Network Shares" > Windows > ReadyShare" option rather than find "Media Servers > ReadyShare".

But turning off the D6300 Media Server option you can still access the connected USB hardrive files and the D6300 stops indexing the files in turn making the drop-out issue to disappear completely but; it doin so the D6300 also disables DLNA - why> - I want to turn off the D6300 Media Server because I primarily use the built in Media Library feature of WDTVLive instead so I don't require a media server on the D6300 hub and the WDLive - thats going to cause its own issues anyway.

2 separate devices (media servers) constantly scanning content and indexing the files on the same H/D at the same time - no thanks.

My only reason for wanting DLNA enable on the D6300 is so I can stream content on my PC, Laptop or Tablet directly through the D6300 to the WDTVLive and have computer content playing on my bigscreen home TV - with the D6300 Media Server feature disabled it forces the DLNA to also be turned off and my windows PC's cant stream content to my TV.

So... my question is how do we "turn off" the Media Server feature on the D6300 but keep DLNA enabled?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7