Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 Firmware Confusion

JonHC
Tutor

D6400 Firmware Confusion

Hi. I own a D6400 which is running the 'latest' firmware V1.0.0.34. I say 'latest' as my NETGEARGenie app (for Mac) is telling me there is a firmware update which is V1.0.1.22_1.1.22. However, the web browser interface tells me there is no new firmware upgrades available. Has any other D6400 user seen this and if so, should I update? I'm also having trouble with random internet disconnections but I will start a new thread with that issue.

Incidentally, when I contacted Netgear about the disconnection issues, they suggested re-installing the firmware and the link they gave me was for V1.0.0.34.

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 12.44.28.png

Message 1 of 53

Re: D6400 Firmware Confusion

V1.0.0.34 is the newest. Your Mac is lying.

But your experience matches mine.

When I upgraded, my BT Internet connection kept dropping after a few minutes.

If you do flash to the new version again, and if the drops continue, I would revert to the older version.

I need to do some experimenting to see if V1.0.0.34 affects my other ISP. If not, then I will try it again on BT. If it still fails, I will go back to the original and see if it behaves itself.

Message 2 of 53
JonHC
Tutor

Thanks for your response. I definitely want to go back to previous firmware version to see if that works but I don't know where I can find an older version to download and install. Do you know?
Message 3 of 53
JonHC
Tutor

I've found the download for the original firmware.

Message 4 of 53

Well done.

They usually keep these things on the support pages for the device.

Which ISP are you on?

Message 5 of 53
JonHC
Tutor

I'm with TalkTalk
Message 6 of 53

Me too. (As well as BT.) I haven't tried the new firmware on that.

Message 7 of 53
JonHC
Tutor

I'm going to give the older firmware a go tonight and see what happens
Message 8 of 53

There may be a problem with this firmware. It isn't conclusive, but when I got to the office today, the D6400 had disconnected from TalkTalk. This never happens with the other modem. Nor did this one play up with the earlier firmware.

Worse, it does not automatically reconnect, which is strange behaviour.

I will leave it running today to see if there are any more dropouts.

Message 9 of 53
JonHC
Tutor

Exactly what was happening with me! Internet would drop out on latest firmware and not re-connect. I always had to reboot the router.

I re-installed the older firmware yesterday evening and as yet, I've had no drop outs. So, as you say, it looks like there could be an issue with the firmware.

Message 10 of 53

At first I thought it was only on BT. But your experience prompted my TalkTalk experiment.

We both seed the same thing, so it looks like an issue with the modem.

Message 11 of 53
JonHC
Tutor

I've been on the old firmware for the last 24 hours now and not had any dropouts whatsoever. I've addressed this with Netgear, hopefully they'll look into it.

Message 12 of 53

I too have just rolled back after two disconnects within a few minutes.

The symptoms I see are that the PC starts throwing Internet connection errors while the modem still shows that it is connected. Eventually the Internet light changes colour.

If I go to the Connection Status, the windows is frozen. The Connection time, in particular, is stuck.

If I then try to Disconnect/Connect, nothing happens.

Earlier modems would show that the thing was trying to reestablish a connection.

In the case of the D6400 and the new firmware, the only way to restore the Internet services is to reboot the modem.

My conclusion is that the firmware is seriously broken.

I will see if the old firmware is as stable as it used to be, just in case there are line issues. That is unlikely, given that the modem has shown the same behaviour on two different lines and two different ISPs.

Message 13 of 53
Cymrukiwi
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

I too have exactly the same problem as you. Connection dropping and having to reboot via the on/off swtich rather than via the Netgear Genie (which does not seem to be much of a Genie).

I am on Plusnet (ADSL) and have reinstalled the newer verison of the firmware today. V.1.0.0.34. So if this fails in the next 24 hours I will revert back to the older version.

Message 14 of 53

Looks like this firmware has something against ISPs in the UK.

Plusnet, BT and TalkTalk so far.

Maybe it is all down to the BT telephone system that these run on.

Fortunately, Netgear is on the case. If you can, file a support request.

Message 15 of 53
oleboyredw
Aspirant

I just got a new D6400 today and as part of the install upgraded the default firmware to the latest (V1.0.0.34).  Now having line fails ;-(

I also cannot see my port forwarding definitions once created so cannot edit or delete them.

Where can I find the previous version of firmware to drop back to please.  I hunted around on the Netgear site and could not find it.

Message 16 of 53
JonHC
Tutor

I've just looked on Netgears support page and it looks to me like they've removed the original firmware download for some reason. It was where you can click on 'Get More Downloads'. However, I have the installation file for V1.0.0.22 which I can email you if you send me your email address.

Message 17 of 53

Oh dear, removing the original firmware is a big mistake. The new one broke my modem and I had to revert.

The only good news is that there may be a new one in the works,

Message 18 of 53
oleboyredw
Aspirant

Good news, following applying the V1.0.0.22 version I've been listening to the radio over the internet for over two hours without interruption.

Now to try to sort out Port Forwarding.  Just doesnt seem to work how I'm expecting it and as port definitions vanish once set up I can't subsequently delete or change them.  Looks like time to report a bug and try to figure out a bypass.

Message 19 of 53

That was my experience too.

Which ISP do you have?

We have had reports here of the new firmware breaking TalkTalk, BT and Plusnet. All use BT's ADSL system.

Message 20 of 53
oleboyredw
Aspirant

Plusnet

Looks like al the port forwarding I set up with the newer version exists but doesnt function correctly and cannot be seen (to edit or delete).  Whereas I can now set up new port forwarding (but have to use new ports ... ho hum)

Message 21 of 53
RaybanMonster
Aspirant

I just upgraded, mine, Im on BT, but be warned with this installation.. it actually took far longer than I thought..  Router actually  rebooted twice and during that time it also downloaded a second round of drivers ie the upgADE WAS A TWO STEP PROCESS, AND IF i HADNT INADVERTANTLY WAITED i WOULD HAVE MESSED UP THE INSTALL WITH A MANUAL REBOOT MY OWN TO "BED IN THE SETTINGS FOR SURE"... 

Even then the Netgear Genie was still misreporting the firmware version AFTER 10 MINUTES AT WHICH i WAS CONFIDENT ENOUGH NOTHING ELSE WAS GOING ON, despite  reporting "NO INTERNET CONNECTION" So be warned folks.

Not untill i logged out of the app, refreshed my browser at login page by pressing F5 and going back in was the firmawrre reported correctly. Adding to the nonsensical confusion the supposed middle step firmware seemed to be a higher value step in number but the final firmware version is actually numbered below that middle step firmware which is bad systematic programming and logging if you ask me and is unnecesary in that it adds confusion and complexity enough to incur tampering and timewaste to " fix what seems an error.

.. My advice to people is that this upgrade takes around 10 minutes not a quick 2  or 4 and therin may lie the source of  few problems if youre testing and doing things sooner than this timeframe using the automated backup from the app link.  That said  I am still to expereince any issues yet..., although the issue that prompted the upgrade in the first place was unusually long ping times >2000ms to google servers over my BT connection which I believe is symptomatic of a  BT problem and not the router.

Will report back after  some time if i have issues or this ping issue is still causing slow internet speed... Phhffst  anoying... especially that Close to London( 2 mins to Chiswick on a bike)  Iam in a pocket that has no fibre broadband yet. BT wholsale! What a roll-out disgrace.

Message 22 of 53
RaybanMonster
Aspirant

Update:

Final Firmware Version
V1.0.0.34_1.3.34

Middle step and therefore incomplete firmware version: V1.0.1.22_1.1.22  Indicates refresh required or process is still incomplete.

Message 23 of 53

That update does warn that it comes in two parts. It does not warn that it can wreck your connection if you are on the end of a BT ADSL copper line.

Message 24 of 53
Steve_Knight
Aspirant

Hi, new to the community but thought I'd add my comments.

Firmware is currently: V1.0.0.34_1.3.34 and the web interface reports no updates available although the Genie interface says V1.0.1.22_1.1.22 is available.  Think there might be a slight mismatch in numbers.

On the other comments related to dropped connections I am on Zen Internet (have been for years) and using the D6400 to replace both the BT box and the Zen router about two months back have never had an issue with this.

Cheers, Steve

Message 25 of 53
Discussion stats
  • 52 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7