Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 Internet Speed Slows Down

Retired_Member
Not applicable

D6400 Internet Speed Slows Down

Recently I purchased a pc and before I used to game on my laptop, during gameplay I would have steady internet speeds and my ping at around 20 although as soon as I started using my pc my internet dropped to 60 kbs around every 30 seconds and then it randomly rises back to 600 kbs. It is quite frustrating as during skype calls the internet drops and I am unable to hear as well as during games It freezes. 

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 6

Re: D6400 Internet Speed Slows Down

Are you saying that all was well on the laptop but it went pear shaped when you got the new PC?

If so, then the D6400 isn't likely to be the source of the problem. More likely to be something that needs tweaking on the PC.

How is it connected to the modem? Wifi? LAN?

What is its operating system?

What is your internet connection? ADSL? VDSL?

Provide as much information as you can from this lot:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

That is the forum's default list. It exists for a reason.

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Model Version: D6400

Firmware: V1.0.0.22_1.0.22

Evironment: Dont really understand this but we are located in a rural area and the modem is just in a bedroom.

It is connected by a wifi pci-e adapter, my operating system is windows 10 - 64 bit and my internet connection is adsl.

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 3 of 6

Your first move should be to update the firmware for your D6400.

V1.0.0.22_1.0.22 is the release version. (I beta tested this box.) There have been several since then. It is now at V1.0.0.52_1.0.52.

@Retired_Member wrote:
Evironment: Dont really understand this but we are located in a rural area and the modem is just in a bedroom.

You answered that one pretty well. It is the operating system, the PC, the stuff attached tio the network, anything that could influence the behaviour of your network equipment.

You did not answer the question about the PC/laptop differences.

Are you saying that all was well on the laptop but it went pear shaped when you got the new PC?

If it is a new thing, especially if the laptop behaved just fine, I would look closely at the wifi pci-e adapter as it could be a wifi connection issue.

Windows 10 arrived with some pretty dodgy built-in drivers. For example, it broke quiite a bit of Bluetooth kit. The solution was down to finding the latest drivers from the people who made the Bluetooth chips.

But first, update the firmware and reset the modem.

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah it is fine with my laptop but on my pc it just slows down every 30 seconds. 

When i try to update the firmware it almost finishes then says connection reset and i reload the genie page and it still hasnt updated.

Message 5 of 6

@Retired_Member wrote:

Yeah it is fine with my laptop but on my pc it just slows down every 30 seconds. 

It's probably the PC then. The modem has no idea of what type of wifi device you are trying to connect. Look for better drivers for the wifi or, better still if you can arrange it, use a wired connection.

To get the new firmware, go to the support page for the D6400 and download it from there. Then flash it from the local file.

D6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

The manual is there too. See page 220:

Manually Upload New Firmware and Update the Modem Route

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7