Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 - NO IP for WIFI Devices

konmanos8080
Tutor

D7000 - NO IP for WIFI Devices

I have installed the router without (direct) internet connection to it. My internet connection is being fed from a Cable modem/router  to the D7000 ethernet ports. Any Etherner port on the D7000 router works well, when connected. I have turned off DHCP at the D7000 router and the Cable modem is acting as the DHCP server for all clients on the network. 

The issue arises - when I enable Wifi on the D7000. I connect one client to the D7000 wirelessly, and then the others are not providd any IP addresses. They fail to receive an IP address. If I manually configure an IP address on the client and connect it to the D7000 it works well. However the auto assigning of IP addresses from the  Cable/Modem Router for the wireless client on the D7000 does not allow it to exceed more than 1???

I am running version V1.0.1.74_1.0.1 of the firmware and was looking for any assistance. 

I also believe that there is an AP setup on the D7000 - however does mean that the Ethernet ports on the D7000 become void, when in this set-up?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
konmanos8080
Tutor

I have it resolved - and I need to note how I resolved it. 

There is nothing wromg with the device, I was connecting the D7000 via a Network Panel. 

That is the D7000 was connected to a patch panel, that then had a connection to the network where the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - was connected. We had a direct connect - what we thought was a direct connect to the modem. We therefore remove the patch panel in the middle and ran an Ethernet cable from the Telstra Smart Modem - Ethernet port ---to ---- the D7000 WAN port (Internet port - RED) and configured the D7000 as an AP. It worked immediately. We then tested it in this connection - untul all clients connecting to the Wireless of the D7000 - were all assigned the correct IP address. They all were assigned the correct IP address, without fail. 

We then removed the D7000 and placed it back to the Patch panel to wall point connected, in the nominated room. It worked immediately. Therefore the fact that the D7000 configured itself correctly with the MAC address of the Internet g/way, it would then be able to find and connect itself over the network, without fail. 

The issue must have been the network / patch panel - in between making the D7000 fail to find it's way accross the network to the relevant Internet G/Way.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] My internet connection is being fed from a Cable modem/router
> [...]

Not a very detailed description of that device.

> [...] to the D7000 ethernet ports. [...]

"the D7000 ethernet ports"?  All of them?  Some of them?  Which of
them?  What, exactly, is connected to what, exactly?  (Hint: If a device
has different types of Ethernet ports, then "connected to device" is not
enough detail.)

> [...] If I manually configure an IP address [...]

_Which_ "IP address" did you "manually configure" on what?

> I also believe that there is an AP setup on the D7000 [...]

"believe"?  Here's a radical concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Use the Modem
Router as a WiFi Access Point".

That's almost certainly what you should be doing.

> [...] however does mean that the Ethernet ports on the D7000 become
> void, when in this set-up?

No.  Here's a list of features which are disabled in a router-as-WAP:

https://kb.netgear.com/26765

> [...] V1.0.1.74_1.0.1 [...]

So, your D7000 is a D7000[v1], not a D7000v2?

> Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0

That has nothing to do with anything?

Message 2 of 6
konmanos8080
Tutor

Antinode, Thank you for your prompt reply - I will refer to your questions in order to reply. 

> [...] My internet connection is being fed from a Cable modem/router

I have a Telstra SmartModem Gen2 - Cable modem/router - with 4 Ethernet Ports.

One of these Telstra Smart Modem Etherner ports feeds directly -  connected (in another room) to the NetGear D7000 - Ethernet Port

On the Netgear D7000 - I have a computer directly connected to the 1 of the D7000 - Ethernet Ports, no problems with IP being assigned and accessing the internet.

You said - the D7000 ethernet ports"?  All of them?  Some of them?  Which of them?  What, exactly, is connected to what, exactly?  (Hint: If a device has different types of Ethernet ports, then "connected to device" is not enough detail.)

As noted above - hope that this explains that the D7000 Ethernet Ports (YELLOW) have direct connections to computers and they do not have any issues connecting to the internet and being assigned IP from the Telstra Cable Modem / Router (acting as a DHCP server)

I have the D7000 acting as a WIFI router in the room as well. So when I connect to the D7000 - with a WIFI device - eg Apple iPHONE, it does not assign an IP address. Yet when I manually configure the Applie iPHONE with a free and valid IP address on the WIFI section it works well. 

I have read the Manual and I was not aware of any limitations to the Ethernet ports on it - hence the question. 

As you have noted - I have the 

> [...] V1.0.1.74_1.0.1 [...]

So, your D7000 is a D7000[v1], not a D7000v2? - I assume that I have a v1 - as there is no Version number - other than the f/ware noting on the UI of the screen - V1.0.1.74_1.0.1 

> Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0

Yes the above is correct - that is the config of the model. 

I will try and play around with the AP noting that you have said re the Ethernet Ports are not disabled in this mode. 

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] Ethernet Ports (YELLOW) have direct connections to computers
> [...]

The red WAN/Internet port is also an Ethernet port.  And that's the
one to connect to the main router when you configure the D7000 as a WAP.
(As the D7000 User Manual says.)

> Yes the above is correct - that is the config of the model.

No, it's not.  "A7000", "C7000", "D7000", "EX7000", and "R7000" are
different devices.

Message 4 of 6
konmanos8080
Tutor

I have performed further testing and can confirm the following:

I have configired the D7000 as an AP and have connected the ethernet cable from the modem to the RED (WAN) port on the router. 

This does nothing but provide me with no internet connection. 

Still using the AP configuration, I remove the cable from the RED (WAN) port and connect it to the YELLOW Ethernet port, and all returns to normal, where the router can see the network etc. 

I then connect devices to the AP (wirelessly) and find, that some devices receive an IP (apple IPAD, and Apple Iphones) correctly whilst others do not (apple IPAD, Apple Iphones, Android). Then leaving some hours for sleep and relaxation attempt to connect the same devices that were connecting to the AP correctly - and find - that they are not connecting and receiving the IP correctly. They receive the incorrect IP address.. 

I have updated the f/ware to the latest f/ware and still have the same issues, I am now going to check to see if channel surfing on the AP may make a difference, as I have read that this may resolve? 

Message 5 of 6
konmanos8080
Tutor

I have it resolved - and I need to note how I resolved it. 

There is nothing wromg with the device, I was connecting the D7000 via a Network Panel. 

That is the D7000 was connected to a patch panel, that then had a connection to the network where the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 - was connected. We had a direct connect - what we thought was a direct connect to the modem. We therefore remove the patch panel in the middle and ran an Ethernet cable from the Telstra Smart Modem - Ethernet port ---to ---- the D7000 WAN port (Internet port - RED) and configured the D7000 as an AP. It worked immediately. We then tested it in this connection - untul all clients connecting to the Wireless of the D7000 - were all assigned the correct IP address. They all were assigned the correct IP address, without fail. 

We then removed the D7000 and placed it back to the Patch panel to wall point connected, in the nominated room. It worked immediately. Therefore the fact that the D7000 configured itself correctly with the MAC address of the Internet g/way, it would then be able to find and connect itself over the network, without fail. 

The issue must have been the network / patch panel - in between making the D7000 fail to find it's way accross the network to the relevant Internet G/Way.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7