Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 No Internet

InjuredWing
Aspirant

D7000 No Internet

When I accidentally pressed the Genie button ('ask the Genie to configure' ) on my 2-yr-old D7000's program (ADSL, via phone line), the internet went red and I have not been able to restore it, despite trying every conceivable possible solution. The wireless aspect is still fine. The ISP confirms all settings are correct. My spare router (Bipac7300) works just fine on those exact same settings with the same phone plug. The D7000 has been power cycled frequently; I've installed the latest firmware; I've reset it (which oddly didn't make the firmware revert to the factory installed one); and now I can only use it as an access point. I know there have been other posts on this in the past, but none of the solutions offered there have worked, although I haven't tried to reinstall the original firmwares because I can't find those downloads. This Hawk has never been very stable and I've frequently had to power cycle it when streaming stalled or slowed, so maybe this problem has been coming a while.  (Using Windows 10, 10 mb ADSL, all 4 LAN ports in use)

Incidentally the program won't restore the settings you've saved. I had to do them manually. Luckily I took screenshots.

Any further suggestions welcomed, the hair has already been torn out.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

@InjuredWing wrote:

I've reset it (which oddly didn't make the firmware revert to the factory installed one

Not "oddly" at all. Reset does not erase the firmware. Just the configuration.

It is hard to see how "pressing the genie button" could kill your modem/router.

First, where did you press this button?

In the browser interface? On a desktop app? Some other genie?

@InjuredWing wrote:

....I haven't tried to reinstall the original firmwares because I can't find those downloads.

There is support for the D7000, including more firmware versions than you'd care to contemplate, and a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

This Hawk has never been very stable and I've frequently had to power cycle it when streaming stalled or slowed, so maybe this problem has been coming a while.

Sounds possible.

Incidentally the program won't restore the settings you've saved.

Another hint that all may not be well with this thing. What happened when you tried?

Message 2 of 7
InjuredWing
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. First I accidentally opened the wizard on the setup aspect of the router program, and it started to look for for the service provider. This was the moment when the internet cut out and never came back.

Then, I had saved the settings file on my computer in a place where I knew I could find it. It was automatically saved as a .txt file. When I tried to restore, it said it couldn't retore a .txt file, so I saved as a was it .cfg file? Something like that. Then it said the file was corrupt. It didn't matter because I had a backup record of my settings.

Incidentally a third problem now is that since it is now only an access point with another modem behind it, many features such as access control which I want to use are greyed out. I have various LAN connections in including a LAN cable down to an office and I particularly wanted to set a timer on the access point there but I can't.

All sounds like a bit of a death rattle. Any help appreciated. It's only 2 years old, a bit early to be partly bricked

Message 3 of 7

@InjuredWing wrote:

so I saved as a was it .cfg file?

Good guess. It should have been a cfg file. But how did it get to be a txt file in the first place?

Incidentally a third problem now is that since it is now only an access point with another modem behind it, many features such as access control which I want to use are greyed out.

You've hit this one.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Are you sure that you have all the details needed to get on to your ISP?

Have you tried the wizard again, to see if it can stagger though to the end.

Which ISP is it?

Message 4 of 7
InjuredWing
Aspirant

Don't know how it was saved as a .txt file, except that I saved the file in my Word folder which normally saves things nowadays in the form in which you present them. At least I know how to find things there.

My ISP details are completely accurate, I have tried many times to reload them all with the same result, and on two occasions with the helpline on the phone. The instant I put them in to my Bipac router it sprang to life. ISP: Voxtelecom in South Africa

Message 5 of 7

@InjuredWing wrote:

My ISP details are completely accurate...

Down to the stuff in the entrails? MTU size and other WAN settings?

Message 6 of 7
InjuredWing
Aspirant

MTU 1492, IGM Proxying Disabled; WAN Preference Auto-Detect; NAT filtering secured, whatever that all means. Now of course the alarm system doesn't communicate any more because port forwarding is greyed out too ... next time it won't be a Netgear ....

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7