Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 V1.0.0.34 firmware issue

S1monBrown
Follower

D7000 V1.0.0.34 firmware issue

I happened to login to my router yesterday and noticed a firmware update on my D7000 to Ver 1.0.0.34 and decided to take the plunge. Big mistake, huge in fact! This version completely ignores my pre defined address reservation table meaning my whole network is now a complete mess! Some of the device names are even showing as incorrect which is strange too. As a work around I have had to manually address some devices and remove them from the allocation table. I'm less than impressed as I paid a great deal of money for this device and would have expected better, please can someone clarify when this will be resolved. Thanks
Message 1 of 18
sdsrobk
Aspirant

I tried V1.0.0.34, but my D7000 would not recognize that the DSL cable was even plugged in after that.  The list of DSL providers was also corrupt.  Restoring my saved settings and trying to manually config didn't work.  After I reverted back to V1.0.0.32, all was well.

Don't they beta test this stuff before releasing havoc on thier customers?

Message 2 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

When updating to new firmware you may want to do a factory reset this can prevent weird behaviors from happening.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 18
Ian07
Tutor

I have exactly the same results as S1monBrown. I.E. with firmware V1.0.0.34 the router seems to completely ignore the address reservation table.

I have done a factory reset as sugested by DarrenM but this did not fix the problem. I have had to revert to V1.0.0.32, this seems to work correctly.

Requires Netgear to resolve this problem!

Message 4 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Lan07

We have pulled the 1.0.0.34 Fw this week because of all the issues it should be back up in a couple weeks with fixes for all the issues.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 18
furyau
Aspirant

It's been a couple of weeks, really hanging out for this firmware
Message 6 of 18
Johno42
Aspirant

Given its been three weeks since the last update by Netgear it would be good to understand when we could expect the fixed firmware. My router is showing the issue with download speeds dropping badly when doing uploads.

If it is going to be several more weeks please let us know, that way I can re-install my previous router to gain a more stable environment.

Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

Message 7 of 18
bobjane
Star

If you release a firmware with such serious issues that it needs to be withdrawn then the professional thing to do would be to make a announcement informing those that  may be affected, or at least leave an explanation on the firmware page. Instead Netgear quietly pulls the firmware and hopes that noone notices. It's like I'm dealing with irresponsible children.

Had a wifi device constantly dropping out, even resorted to reinstalling Windows. Turns out the Netgear firmware was the culprit and downgrading to 1.0.0.32 fixed it.

The tradeoff is that downstream now slows to a crawl whenever there's any upstream traffic. A bug that was fixed in 1.0.0.34.

Now weeks later and still no fixes for the above. Bad software support and underhanded conduct - these things that make me avoid a company's products.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 8 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

The new firmware is set to be released in the next couple days for the D7000 unless something happens I will keep you guys up to date but keep checking the D7000 support page. Also after the update happens let me know if your issues are resolved or if something else is not working so I can forward this info onto our engineers.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

DarrenM

Message 9 of 18
Gi0
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got a notification that there is a newer firmware version today (V1.0.0.38) which i installed over version .34.

Unfortunately, i still get DCHP leased IPs for all the devices i have set up for acquiring predifined IPs.

Any ideas?

Message 10 of 18
Ian07
Tutor

I updated my firmware to the latest release V1.0.0.38 today and had exactly the same results as with 34. It still completely ignores my reservation table, thought this was going to be fixed. I have had to revert to V32 again. Really not good enough Netgear!

Message 11 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Gi0 and Ian07

You may have to do a factory reset and then upgrade to .38 and then test to see if this resolved the issue it could be some old setting causing the issue.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 18
Gi0
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey DarrenM,

Since that was also your recommendation at the beginning of the thread for version .34, can you verifiy that by doing a factory reset and then upgrading to .38 everything works like it is supposed to? In other words, is IP reservation working for sure if we do a factory reset?

Because i have no time to waste again for experimenting with something that is broken when i tried it the first time.

Regards

Message 13 of 18
clithes
Prodigy

Short term solution is to set the IP address on the equipment, not the router. For important stuff like media servers etc I don't allow the router to assign an IP address; that way I can be sure which address they will be using
Message 14 of 18
Gi0
Aspirant
Aspirant

Of course you can but i'd love it if my 200 euro router would work as expected for something this trivial and i didn't have to manually set IPs to each one of tens of devices. In other words, this is quite disapointing.

Message 15 of 18
Ian07
Tutor

Hello DarrenM,

You suggested a factory reset procedure for V34 and that didn't work.

Anyway, I decided to give it a go with V38, this is what I did:

Reset router to factory using reset button.

Logged in with default address and password.

Skipped the auto setup routine.

Went to 'Advanced/Firmware update' and updated to V38.

'Advanced/Lan Setup' Configured IP range, then maually entered a dozen or so addresses in the reservation table.

Reboot the router.

Started some of the devices that should have been configured from the reservation table.

Guess what! only some of them received the correct address, others were arbitrarly assigned numbers within the set IP range. Also noted that some devices don't appear in the attached devices list.

Reverted the firmware back to V32 without changing any settings, restarted all the devices and all were assigned the correct addresses from the reservation table.

The firmware is obvouosly not programmed correctly.

By the way, even in V32 some devices don't show up in the connected devices table but do show up in 'Access Control/Devices not currently connected'

The firmware seems to be a bit of a mess, need I say more!

Message 16 of 18
bobjane
Star

Thanks for doing the testing Ian07. Netgear's made it painfully obvious that users need to look for feedback before installing their poorly made firmware.

I thought after paying $300 for this router, Netgear would be testing the firmware rather than wasting my time as a guinea pig.

Message 17 of 18
Gi0
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to do the testing and posting the results Ian07!

FYI to all, there is also another thread about this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Nighthawk-D7000-DHCP-Address-Reservation-not-Wor...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7