Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 VOIP configuration

ydydxhg
Follower

D7000 VOIP configuration

HI there,

I recently purchased the D7000 router for my house and I am wondering if I could configure it to work with VOIP from my ISP.

I read on the D7000 FAQ at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29268/~/d7000-faqs?cid=wmt_netgear_organic  and it said that I have to use the router I originally got from the ISP. but by the sound of this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-VOIP/m-p/1004094/thread-id/6021 if I disable the SIP ALG, it might work?

So, I am picturing a LAN-WAN setup with D7000 as the primary router, the ISP router as the secondary, with SIP disabled on the D7000, the voip on the ISP Router should work?

I initially setup the LAN - WAN, which got the internet working on both routers, but when I pick up the phone, which is connected to router 2, I heard the busy tone. I suspect something wasnt configured right here.

Could someone let me know if they have done something like this before? or if anyone has a better solution than this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Paul

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7000 VOIP configuration

Hello ydydxhg

I Have not done a setup like this before but have you checked to see if any port forwarding needs to be done for this setup?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
raven_au
Virtuoso

Re: D7000 VOIP configuration

@ydydxhg wrote:

HI there,

I recently purchased the D7000 router for my house and I am wondering if I could configure it to work with VOIP from my ISP.

I read on the D7000 FAQ at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29268/~/d7000-faqs?cid=wmt_netgear_organic  and it said that I have to use the router I originally got from the ISP. but by the sound of this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000-VOIP/m-p/1004094/thread-id/6021 if I disable the SIP ALG, it might work?

So, I am picturing a LAN-WAN setup with D7000 as the primary router, the ISP router as the secondary, with SIP disabled on the D7000, the voip on the ISP Router should work?

I initially setup the LAN - WAN, which got the internet working on both routers, but when I pick up the phone, which is connected to router 2, I heard the busy tone. I suspect something wasnt configured right here.

I'm not sure I can be of help but I'll describe what I believe to be the case and what I have done in order to use VoIP from a device behind my router.

Saying you need to use the ISP device is an easy way of saying it's not our problem and I don't use my ISPs' device becuase it doesn't have the functionality I need.

The type of problem your seeing usually means the needed VoIP connections are not getting through to the router to the VoIP device.

I don't actually know what the SIP ALG does but I believe it is meant to manage allowing the needed VoIP connections through the router to VoIP device, so if you disable it either the VoIP device needs to setup its own port forwarding, probably using the UPnP or NAT-PMP protocol, or you need to setup the required port forwarding manually on your router. Whether your VoIP device uses one of these automatic port forwarding setup protocols or not is probably the first thing you need to work out.

Unfortunately I've also read that the SIP ALG functionality often does not work properly in domestic routers.

I use the VoIP and DECT cordless phone functionality of a FritzBox located behind whatever router I'm using.

In order to do that I, configure the VoIP settings provided by my ISP in the VoIP section of the FritzBox, disable the SIP ALG on the router, and manually port forward the ports the FritzBox needs.

The most difficult part of this is finding out what ports need to be forwared to the VoIP device.

One will probably be 5060 and probably for both UDP and TCP protocols.

There will also be a port range (or possibly more than one range) that need to be forwarded to the VoIP device for calls (possibly only for UDP protocol but this might need TCP protocol connections forwarded as well) which are generally device dependent and finding out what they are can be difficult if they are not provided in the VoIP device documentation or by the ISP.

After looking for this information for my setup for quite a while I found that the FritzBox listed the ports and the protocols it used in a diagnostics page and after setting up port forwarding for these ports my VoIP worked just fine and has done so for ages and on several different routers.

So, not a solution but perhaps helpful information.

Ian

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7