Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000 drops network (LAN) until resetting. Can see wifi bands but won't allow connections

Bob48
Aspirant

D7000 drops network (LAN) until resetting. Can see wifi bands but won't allow connections

The problem I am having is in the morning. When turning on my devices (wireless) none of them will connect to the router until I reboot the router, then all is fine for the day. The devices connect automatically with no issues then. My desktop is hard wired and I didn't see a problem with it.

I have restored factory default settings time and time again with no results using the paper clip to reset the router.

I have updated firmware to latest V1.0.1.50_1.0.1 and I am on a windows 10 os ...

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Chillgoon
Aspirant

Re: D7000 drops network (LAN) until resetting. Can see wifi bands but won't allow connections

I have been having a very similar issue - however my desktop computers also cant access the internet or router until a hard reset. I am currently dealing with Netgear support on it. Am also on firmware .50. For the first month or two that I had the router there was no problems at all then randomly this has started!

Message 2 of 10
Bob48
Aspirant

All of a sudden this D7000 started to connect with no problems...I don't know if the problem was fixed thu Netgear or not. I am not touching any thing on the router and keeping my fingers crossed...Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 10
Bob48
Aspirant

Back to square one now...router started to drop signal again I need to reboot to get it to connect Netgear has a big problem!    Has any body found a solution yet?                            

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 4 of 10
Chillgoon
Aspirant

I have been currently working with Netgear support on this issue. Whether it's by pure luck or a fix, the only solution thus far that seems to work is that I reverted by firmware back to 44. Since then, whilst I have had some disconnection, it has been much more stable staying online for 20 hours or even once 40 hours at a time. Previously it was just locking up quite frequently (every couple of hours).

I am not convinced that this is a fix yet but will continue to monitor. Interestingly, i think that 44 was the original firmware on my modem when I purchased it so I dont know if updating the firmwares causes some bug?

Some other suggestions - however didnt work for me included:

Try assigning static DNS on the router and check if that helps, >>On the netgear genie page, please click on Basic tab>>Internet>>Domain Name server address and select the option as "Use these DNS servers" and enter the primary DNS as 208.67.222.222 and secondary DNS as 208.67.220.220 and click on apply. 

Was also told to:  try to change the DNS primary address to 4.2.2.1 and secondary address to 4.2.2.2 and check the connection. 

Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 10
Bob48
Aspirant

I am on my second router now and Netgear is going to send me a third one tomorrow. I've been through all the netgear software fixes and they all did not work. I think there is a problem with the modem in the unit. So it must be a hardware issue that is making the problem... Netgear promises this next router will work.. I will believe that when I see it. So if you are still having problems call support and tell them you want a new router. They will take yours back. Good luck!
Message 6 of 10
Bob48
Aspirant

installed the new D7000 seems to be working fine. Firmware is updated to 1.0.1.50.. Hoping there will be no more problems.

Message 7 of 10
Chillgoon
Aspirant

Good News, I am awaiting confirmation of a replacement

Message 8 of 10
scottishmike
Aspirant

I updated to 1.0.1.50 last weekend but performance seems to have taken a hit, particularly when it comes to streaming video. Have downgraded to v48 to see if that makes any difference, but initial tests have show movies loading much faster, so it does seem to have resolved things here.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 9 of 10
m0nty75
Initiate

I have the exact same problem.

Latest firmware, a gazillion resets. Nothing fixes it. The whole router just freezes, no LAN, no wifi, nothing.

I tried arctic silver paste on the cpu, but that didn't solve it either. 

What I ended up doing was buying a 15" laptop cooler  from ebay which is powered by USB (it's like  a stand that you sit your laptop on with fans), cost me £20.

So sat the  router on top of the laptop cooler, plugged in the USB. It was perfect. no freezing and stable.

To test, after about a week  of constant running with no  freezing up, i disconnected the laptop cooler again,  20 mins later  the damn thing had froze again and had to be rebooted. tried several times, no luck.  Switched the laptop cooler back  on again, it's now been running without any freezing or issues whatsoever for well over 10 days.

In  short, the problem is with cooling, the tacky thin heatsink on  the CPU is useless and can't dissipate enough heat away, the only way to fix it is with better cooling, either a far  more efficient heatsink (though you're limited  by how much space there is). Or do what I have done and sit it on a laptop  cooler.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7