Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7000v2 in access point mode dropping WiFi (physical OK)

Jernau
Aspirant

D7000v2 in access point mode dropping WiFi (physical OK)

I bought a D7000v2 last year, then changed ISP and never really used it as I was supplied with a fairly decent router.

I have now set it up as a wireless access point, upgraded the firmware to 1.0.0.56, but keep losing WiFi signal on different iPads.

The only settings I have changed are fixing the channel to 1 for the 2.6GHz frequency after seeing a post that having it set to 'Auto' is the problem.

I'm close to raising an RMA and returning it as it obviously has a hardware fault, however I see a lot of other posts from people with the same issue and no obvious solution, so it does seem to be far from an isolated issue.

The physical Ethernet connections for my smart tv and chrome cast ultra are absolutely fine, before and after the WiFi issues start occurring. The main house WiFi is also absolutely fine throughout with the iPads that have an issue with the D7000v2, so the issue is definitely isolated to the D7000v2 in access point mode.

Any advice on how I can fix this is greatly appreciated.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10

@Jernau wrote:

I'm close to raising an RMA and returning it as it obviously has a hardware fault, however I see a lot of other posts from people with the same issue and no obvious solution, so it does seem to be far from an isolated issue.

Obviously a hardware fault? You are using something designed to be a modem/router as an access point. While its does support AP mode, I don't see that you have demonstrated that you have a hardware fault.

For a start, there is thins bit:

@Jernau wrote:

....keep losing WiFi signal on different iPads.

Is this just iPads? How about other wifi clients? If it is just iPads, that's where to look for problems. When particular devices have wifi issues, start at the client end. The AP is just puffing out wifi.

@Jernau wrote:
...I see a lot of other posts from people with the same issue and no obvious solution, so it does seem to be far from an isolated issue.

With modem/routers in AP mode? Can you provide links to some of these posts so that we can see if they really are the same problem? There are many ways in with iStuff can have wifi issues, not all of them down to the same reason.

It might also help if you told people what the other components on this network are. There can be subtle interactions between devices that we can only guess about.

Message 2 of 10
Jernau
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Michael. I'm happy to go into more detail. I'm guessing you aware of the numerous issues on this board relating to WiFi dropping with the D700v2 and it would be great if you know if people have been able to solve it.
It appears to be specific to WiFi and not to do with it operating in access mode, which as you rightly point out is a fully supported feature of the device so shouldn't be an issue.

iPads appear more sensitive, though my iPhone, Tesla, Toshiba laptop and Amazon Fire all have the same issue. It mainly occurs on iPads though as these are used most and are the first to exhibit the problem when it occurs. The physical connections work throughout without issue.

The D7000v2 replaces a TPLink access point that worked on the same 2.6GHz channel (1) until the power supply blew.

it is connected to an 8 port tplink switch by cat5e, which in turn is connected by cat5e through to a Sky Router (UK ISP) which is fixed to 2.6Ghz channel 11.

Physically connected to the D7000v2 are a chrome cast ultra and a Samsung OLED Tv, both of which have no problem streaming in 4K so network throughput is fine and WiFi connectivity is the only issue.

There is a third tplink access point in the house fixed on 2.6Ghz channel 6. None of the SSIDs are duplicated across 2.6Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies (only the D7000v2 and Sky router support 5GHz).

On the forums I've found suggestions to fix the WiFi channel and also to disable 20/40Mhz support, both of which I've tried, but haven't solved the problem unfortunately.

Message 3 of 10
Jernau
Aspirant

In order to try and eliminate as much as possible I've plugged the D7000v2 in access point mode directly into the Sky Router and unplugged the other connections. After turning the D7000v2 on the problem is still occurring on iPads and the Amazon Fire TV, I haven't tried other devices.

Hope this helps, any suggestions are appreciated.

(Just to add... both 2.6Ghz and 5Ghz SSID exhibit the same behaviour)

Message 4 of 10
Jernau
Aspirant

Having not given up hope entirely I decided to try and eliminate everything possible that might cause the D7000v2 issues with WiFi.

I plugged it directly into my Sky VDSL router and reset it to factory settings. With all other ethernet connections to the Sky VDSL router disconnected I then put the D7000v2 into AP mode.

For around 10 minutes everything appeared OK, however the iPad I was testing with then lost connection to the internet, but kept a strong WiFi signal to the D700v2. In the settings page of the iPad it said it had no internet connection.

I tried connecting with a Toshiba laptop and it had the same problem as did an Amazon TV adapter.

Rebooting the D7000v2 did solve the problem briefly, however this isn't practical every 10-20 minutes.

Unless anyone has any other advice I'm going to have to log it as a fault as it has had the same issue from new. It is a shame as I've never had problems with Netgear products before and this has made me very wary of them.

Message 5 of 10

@Jernau wrote:

I plugged it directly into my Sky VDSL router and reset it to factory settings. With all other ethernet connections to the Sky VDSL router disconnected I then put the D7000v2 into AP mode.

It isn't laid out all that clearly in the manual, but the recommended way to set up something in AP mode is to remove the device (the D7000v2) from your network. Then connect it to a PC that is not on the network. Now put it into AP mode as described in the manual.

With the D7000v2 in AP mode you can then add it to your network. But here to the correct order is important.

Turn off the router. Reconnect the network. Restart the network with the AP connected by turned off. When the network has done its stuff and established an Internet connection, you can turn on the AP.

The reason for this order is that the different components have to establish addresses on the local network in the correct order. The AP picks up its IP address from the router.

It may be that this is exactly what you did, but that is not obvious from your brief description.

I guess there may be an issue with using the D7000v2 in AP mode. When Netgear designed it, the idea was to create a modem/router. The next mode in their check list would be to use it as a router. The last in the chain would be AP mode. Maybe someone screwed up in the details at that stage.

You could also see if earlier firmware improves things. Updates are usually for fancier features that don't apply to AP mode. It is not unknown for Netgear to screw up basic stuff as it adds bells and whistles.

Message 6 of 10
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Do you use a reserved IP address for the D7000v2 in AP mode? On another brand router I use in AP mode I must set the IP, DNS, Gateway addresses in the AP (I set the main router IP address as both DNS and Gateway), sub-net mask and WiFi SSID's and Passwords. From what I see of the Netgear AP mode it's more of a WiFi repeater which is somewhat different than what I call an Access Point.

Message 7 of 10
Jernau
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice.. I have another router configured on a static IP, however the D7000v2 doesn't require that. But you are correct in that it is effectively a router being used as an access point, but Netgear make the configuration easier for you. There seems to be an issue as I've tried the commonly quoted support fix of setting the 2.4GHz channel to 6 and the 5GHz one to 128, but the issue persists. I phoned support as I'd raised an RMA to return it, but they insisted I needed to take out a $99 support agreement in order to do that (this was after the first person I spoke to had hung up). I said it wasn't worth it as I had paid only slightly more for the router in the first place. I've ordered a Wavlink router for £40 that I know works without issue as I bought and configured one for my mother in law a year ago. I suspect this is an issue isolated to this product as anything I've bought in the past from netgear has been great. But it has made me wary of buying Netgear again.
Message 8 of 10

@Jernau wrote:
I phoned support as I'd raised an RMA to return it, but they insisted I needed to take out a $99 support agreement in order to do that (this was after the first person I spoke to had hung up).

Who did you call? Netgear doesn't hand out support phone numbers.

If you called a number that you found with a web search, that almost certainly had nothing to do with Netgear.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

Talk of $99 is suspicious.That is not a number you will see on the GearHead price list.

Web searches can deliver results that scream "Netgear support" at the top but that turn out to be anything but. Using them can be dangerous, for your network and your bank balance.

As a new buyer you can initiate a support call through MyNetgear.

If you login to mynetgear, can you see your router there?

MyNETGEAR | Login

If so, that is where to ask for support.

Message 9 of 10
Jernau
Aspirant

After filling in the RMA form I was given a reference number and required to call a provided number within 24hrs.

It was definitely the official Netgear site, but despite my router still being covered under warranty they said I had to buy extended warranty as I was out of the 90 day free telephone support window.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7