Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 will not detect Dsl cable

Annoyed89
Aspirant

D7800 will not detect Dsl cable

D7800 will not detect Dsl cable
Hi, I got this a week ago and it set up fine with Genie, last night the internet just stopped. So I reset it and re ran the genie, and it will not detect the Dsl line. I tried two different cables and neither worked.

I tried reconnecting my previous modem router, and it works fine and found the dsl line immediately.

I then tired piggy backing the d7800 off the older modem as an access point, and it detects the internet that way. It seems to be the same speed as it was when it was directly connected. I don't want to run two devices if I don't have to.

Anyone know why it suddenly won't connect via its inbuilt modem?

I also tried downgrading the firmware too and that didn't make any difference.
Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 34

Factory reset?

Message 2 of 34
Annoyed89
Aspirant

Already tried, also as stated tried firmware downgrades and upgrades. 

The modem was replaced under warranty and this is the second one. I find it AMAZING that this one is also faulty.

I know it's not at my end as the TPG supplied modem works flawelssly with wifi and internet. 

I should also point out that while I have the netgear modem being used as an access point connected to my IP modem, it seems to randomly drop the internet signal and I have to go in an re run the genie to make it work.

Message 3 of 34
maskedman
Initiate

I'm having the same issue.  

"No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router Internet Port

Make sure that the cable is securely plugged into both the broadband modem port and the router Internet port.

After you have checked the Ethernet cable, click Try again."

But the cable is plugged in and works with a different router.

So far I've replaced all microfilters, checked firmware (I was already on the latest version), reset to factory and reentered all settings.

The router works in Access point mode so it's just the modem which appears to be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 34

@maskedman wrote:

The router works in Access point mode so it's just the modem which appears to be the problem.

You talk of a router. The D7800 is a modem. Is that what you have?

PS You have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 5 of 34
Annoyed89
Aspirant

The D7800 is a modem router

Message 6 of 34
maskedman
Initiate

As @Annoyed89 has pointed out the D7800 is a combined modem/router.

The original post is only 6 days old, I'd have thought that fairly 'new' and worth keeping alive rather than opening a new one.

Admittedly I didn't make it clear in my previous post my other router is also a combined modem/router.

As I've said I can get a connection with a the other combined modem/router using the same DSL cable so I believe the issue is with the modem part of the D7800.

Message 7 of 34
Annoyed89
Aspirant

The Modem must be faulty in both of our devices. I have found a few others online with this same issue. 

So for me that's two in a row!

Message 8 of 34
rywm1978
Aspirant

Seems to be an issue with this product. Mine lost the connection this past Saturday and every part of my story is the same as everyone elses.

Is there a way to get it to work again, or is it just a case of having to RMA it?

Message 9 of 34
rywm1978
Aspirant

Got back from the store with a replacement. I configured the NBN connection, and it took a LONG time to sync. After about 5 mins, the DSL light went off and now im back where I started with the first unit. I can't get DSL light anymore and the unit's brand new.
Message 10 of 34

maskedman wrote:Internet

As I've said I can get a connection with a the other combined modem/router using the same DSL cable so I believe the issue is with the modem part of the D7800.

An alternative is that your Internet service provider has a funky implementation of DSL. Maybe bonded DSL, which Netgear does not support.

It might help to tell us who the ISP is, and what flavour DSL they deliver.

And talking about the thing working in "access point mode" is confusing. Most people have to jump through hoops to get a modem/router to work in access point mode. (It comes more naturally to routers.) So describing the thing as a "router" merely confuses the picture.

You should also note that there has been a recent firmware issues with this modem/router:

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .2... - NETGEAR Communities

That is why the ISP might be important.

Message 11 of 34
rywm1978
Aspirant

Spoke with NetGear support. We woked out that it's a f/w issue. I probably upgraded the old one, and the new unit shipped with v1.0.1.24. We downgraded to v1.0.1.22,  then after an eternity...The DSL light became orange, then after another eternity...The modem synced with my ISP.

Hope this helps others who eventually find this post looking for answers.

Message 12 of 34

That's good news.

The clue was probably the NBN network. As my link shows, this has been a bit of an issue with the D7800  and NBN networks.

The number of people who have turned up here with this issue is now well into double figures.

Message 13 of 34
siroakley
Aspirant

Add me to the list of people that have this issue when using firmware 1.0.1.24 on fttn TPG

reverted to 1.0.1.16 which worked

fairly ordinary in this day and age...

Message 14 of 34
Austie17
Aspirant

Hi I've had the same issue, reverting back to firmware D7800-V1_0_1_22 resolved my issue and the FTTN connection worked again with Aussie Broadband.

Very frustrating indeed

Message 15 of 34
jeffhsmith1955
Aspirant

Had the same problem after ugrading 2 D7800 to firware version 1.0.1.24. 1st one worked using ADSL but not when attempting to use VDSL for the first time. The second D7800 worked with VDSL from the start but stopped woring afterr applying the ungrade. Both modems had as supplied firmware version 1.0.1.16. Confirmed this by reinstalling 1.0.1.16 and the 2nd modem and it has been worked again ever since. 

Message 16 of 34

@jeffhsmith1955 wrote:

The second D7800 worked with VDSL from the start but stopped woring afterr applying the ungrade.

NBN? You don't say.

Message 17 of 34
krumm01
Aspirant

The Modem/Router worked fine until upgrading to 1.01.24 firmware. After upgrading i got the message No DSL/Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router DSL/Internet Port, so I downgraded back to firmware 1.01.22. I then tried the next latest firmware, Again getting the message No DSL/Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router DSL/Internet Port so I downgraded again., Since then I have tried each new firmware that has been released including firmware 1.01.31 getting the same error which says No DSL/Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Router DSL/Internet Port. So i have downgraded firmware back to 1.01.22 and everything works again. Its a very poor effort from Netgear for such an expensive Modem/router and I have no idea how to go about fixing this. I do know that after 20 years of Netgear modems, this will definitely be the last one. I am very dissapoointed.

I have a standard ADSL connection. Telstra is the ISP if that helps anyone. Thanks

Message 18 of 34

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

Message 19 of 34
krumm01
Aspirant

Hi, yes I reset the modem to factory settings after each firmware upgrade attempt but with no luck.

Message 20 of 34
krumm01
Aspirant

@Case850 wrote:

D7800 firmware Version

V 1.0.1.22 is the last working version for VDSL 

V 1.0.1.31 works for ADLS (includes security updates)

The problems are with VDSL, thus it noticed by customers switching to BT/VDSL and Australian NBN/VDSL. 

Hi Case850, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately firmware version V1.0.1.31 is not working with ADSL either. I have tried firmware from 2 different downloads three times now and each time I get the same message. (please see attached screenshot)

Message 21 of 34

You can find older firmware on the support pages for your device:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Try something earlier.

As @Case850 says, the NBN/BT thing is a "known issue".

Here is one of a number of similar messages that you will find with a forum search:

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .2... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 22 of 34
krumm01
Aspirant

Thanks michaelkenward  for your reply. 

I would like to apoplgise if I have posted this in the wrong post and also for hyjacking the original posters post.The link you sent regarding my problem will be helpful I'm sure.  I looked for similar threads before I replied to this one without any luck so thank you for the link to the other thread. I'll go check it out properly in a moment.

I realise that the older firmware works in restoring functionality to the modem which is exactly what I've had to do after each failed attempt at upgrading. However the newer firmware is released for a reason be it Security or Bug fixes or both so downgrading to older firmware is not really acceptable. When the firmware stopped working from version 1.0.1.22 to 1.0.1.24 I went back to 1.0.1.22 and waited for the next firmware upgrade which was 1.0.1.28. I thought Netgear would have fixed this issue two updates later but no luck there so I downgraded my firnware back to 1.0.1.22 and waited again. Then the next firmware update is released which was  1.0.1.30 and I thought '3rd time lucky!' but again the firmware still broke internet on the modem.I downgraded again. Then yesterday i noticed that a new firmware was released being the current firmware available for this modem V 1.0.1.31. Now I find myself having to revert back to 1.0.1.22 firmware again. In total the moden has had 4 firmware updates since the issue began and It is still not working.  So again thank you for your suggestion of using older firmware which I have no choice but to do just that, however that doesn't help with my current problem at all, and that being that I can't (and I'm sure many other people are in the same situation) upgrade to the safer, newer firmware, even after 4 updates.  I couldn't say how much time I've now wasted on this, but whatever it was, was too much. Which is why I'm just a bit frustrated.at this point.

Message 23 of 34
franca_rame1
Aspirant

Rif.: D7800 will not detect Dsl cable

Hi, I'm writing from Italy. I've just bought the same modem/router. Has the same issue.

I have already downgraded the firmware to older version (1.0.1.16), but still does not recognize DSL cable and I need to use an external modem, to make everything work fine.

I have spent a large amount of money on this product and it simply does not work! Are there any other solutions?

Message 24 of 34

Rif.: D7800 will not detect Dsl cable

@franca_rame1 wrote:
Are there any other solutions?

Only if you explain exactly what you are doing an where it goes wrong.

It is all too easy to see messages about problems like this and to assume that they are the same as yours.

You may have a very different problem. That is why it is often a better idea to start your own question rather than to hitch on to the end of a long running saga that started last May.

Message 25 of 34
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7