Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGN1000 Wireless Random Disconnections

Numpty
Aspirant

Re: DGN1000 Wireless Random Disconnections

nice response Netgear. Oh sorry, you couldn't be bothered!

Nice to see you value your customers :mad:
Message 26 of 51
roggie1
Aspirant

has anyone worked out the upgrade firmware problem? I've a DGN1000 from Orange and it worked firm (wireless) at first - now the wireless coverage in the house is very poor. I tried to upgrade to version 41 but same error message - Orange said to change the channel - nut this makes little difference. I got the idea that they were not too up on firmware versions and only knew the tick box to auto check the version on startup... Didn't really want to go bac to my old Draytech router but might have to.
Message 27 of 51
Intruder
Aspirant

Re: DGN1000 Wireless Random Disconnections - SOLVED FOR ME

Looking at the firmware revisions, I changed my channel to 5 and it's all working fine.

Problem - fw is .44WW, reboot router, works fine but after sleeping phones/laptops all fail to reconnect... tried everything and went back to old router.

Changed channel to 5 (not 1, 6, 11 as you're recommended) - reconnects fine.

Perhaps someone from Netgear could have pointed this out!
Message 28 of 51
Numpty
Aspirant

Re: DGN1000 Wireless Random Disconnections - SOLVED FOR ME

Netgear obviously aren't bothered to assist people that have spent good many on their equipment. I won't be buying any further Netgear products if this is how they treat their customers.
Message 29 of 51
roggie1
Aspirant

Spent ages on the phone to support last week - wasn't at the computer so couldn't try things out but did explain that the wireless is pretty poor in a typical UK terraced house - worked with no problem on old broadband before going to ADSL2 (Draytek router). Still can't install firmware version 41 (worldwide). Tried changing to different channels and used InSSIDer to see if anyone else was using the same channel. The signal strength fluctuated widely. Perhaps I'll just have to upgrade to a decent router.... I have just ordered a longer phone and network cable to place the router half way up the stairs to see if this works...
Message 30 of 51
JonHurley
Aspirant

I am having exactly the same problem. Often when I wake up the macbook pro I get the message "none of your preferred networks are available" I can see the NETGEAR and I try to connect but it just times out. The only way I can connect is to reboot the router and then it connects. My desktop MacPro is connected via ethernet so is always fine. I have tried to update firmware but after I had downloaded the disk image it would not unzip so cannot upgrade the firmware - but from comments above looks as though that would not have solved it anyway. Is this a problem for macs or does it affect pcs as well?
Message 31 of 51
mickyfookingmou
Aspirant

Same problem, i use linux , so as a work around i issue the 'dhclient' command every few seconds the before it freezes again. the router issues me the same ip address and appears happy for about 30 seconds. needless to say this is ridiculous.

but it leads me to believe something wrong with dhcp tables .... it would explain why more than one client causes the router a headache.

i am going back to linksys ...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Message 32 of 51
alirobertson
Aspirant

This issue has been rumbling on for some time. I bought the DGN1000 last year and it ran faultlessly UNTIL I added a new computer into the network. Then the wireless connection started dropping as per everyone else's symptoms and has not recovered. Initially I blamed Apple (its a macbook pro (MBP)) and lo and behold there is a huge thread on the subject in apple forums (see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1352518?start=1050&tstart=0). This apple thread goes back about 3 years with 1000s of posts much like this one.

I continued to blame my MBP UNTIL I connected it to my girlfriends Netgear router (I'm awaiting model number) and it ran great for about a week without hitch. I'm now guessing that there is an incompatibility between the DGN1000 and the new Mac software/hardware. Whatever the problem, neither mac or netgear seem to be looking at a solution as they are not engaging in discussion forums. So I guess solutions need to be sought by us...

Later today I intend to buy a new router. I'll post results in about a week on whether this fixed the problem.

Ali
Message 33 of 51
alirobertson
Aspirant

This post relates to the 1 above where I said that I would post details of my girlfriends modem where my computer worked fine. Bizarrely, it was a DGN1000 supplied by Manx telecom. So, one DGN1000 modem fails where the other works fine. Sounds like a modem fault to me.

I bought a Belkin yesterday.I've been running it hard for almost 24hrs and it's been faultless so far, fingers crossed.:)
Message 34 of 51
Hey_Pablo
Aspirant

At this point I'm going to say that the DGN1000 is at best incompatible with Xbox Live, and at worst has broken port forwarding functionality.

I'm a network engineer for an investment bank who is still suffering from frequent connection dropouts over Xbox Live (wireless only, ethernet bypassing the router is fine). Other devices including MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, Toshiba laptop and Apple TV are unaffected.

I have made the following adjustments incrementaly and in their entirety over several firmware versions, including the latest V1.1.00.35_ww, and still suffer from connection dropouts to the Xbox Live service: -

-assigned a unique IP address to Xbox using MAC address on (e.g. 192.168.0.149)
-created Services for Xbox Live ports 1863 (TCP&UDP), 88 (UDP), 3074 (TCP&UDP)
-applied Inbound and Outbound port forwarding Firewall Rules to the Xbox IP address, including the pre-defined Services called 'HTTP' and 'DNS' (which cover ports 53 TCP&UDP and 80 TCP)
-specified MAC address using Setup Access List in Wireless setting tab
-in WAN Setup, disabled Port Scan & DOS protection, disabled SIP ALG, specified MTU to 1492 and created a port DMZ zone around the unique IP assigned to the Xbox
-enabled UpNP
-tried all available wireless channels

In short, if all of these pieces of functionality were doing what they should be doing, there would be no connection problem. I've raised this with Netgear support and asked them to provide an alternative ADSL router. Let's see what happens.
Message 35 of 51
STuNZ
Novice

I recently purchased a DGN1000 and started experiencing the problem described by other in this thread with not being able to reconnect via WiFi which would immediately be able to connect after rebooting the modem.

I eventually resolved it with a hard factory reset.

I'm unsure what triggered the problem but suspect it "may" have been updating the firmware and not clearing the settings back to factory defaults.

I've currently been running without issue for over a week while previously the problem would exhibit again after only a few hours afer a reboot.
Message 36 of 51
mikeforrest1
Aspirant

I am also getting the same problems with this router - my company supplies Broadband and have recently put in 5 of these boxes and we are having issues with 3 of them - the other 2 'seem' to be working.

The 3 with the problems include Wireless connections, some Ethernet ports don't work and the email send log doesn't work - and they are all ON THE LATEST FIRMWARE.

Having read all the messages concerning the DGN1000 Netgrear should withdraw this product. I've also seen a lot of messages about other Netgear routers not working.

I've also had to replace a DGN2000 because that packed up in its 13th month - out of warranty so Netgrear win again.

I keep seeing a guy called JMIZOGUCHI replying to forum submissions and his title is Senoir Member Netgear Fanatic - how can he be such a fanatic when Netgear release such rubbish/crap/faulty products.

Anyway - I'm sending all 5 DGN1000's back to my supplier and moving to another brand - anyone got any recommendations????
Message 37 of 51
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I keep seeing a guy called JMIZOGUCHI replying to forum submissions and his title is Senoir Member Netgear Fanatic - how can he be such a fanatic when Netgear release such rubbish/crap/faulty products.

once you hit.. few thousands in posting it will change by the forum category ..
Message 38 of 51
mikeforrest1
Aspirant

Hi Jmizoguchi...

Sorry to be a bit dumb on this but what do you mean by your reply?
Message 39 of 51
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

mikeforrest wrote:
Hi Jmizoguchi...

Sorry to be a bit dumb on this but what do you mean by your reply?

your status change once you have replied , post over FEW THOUSANDS in count
Message 40 of 51
mikeforrest1
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
your status change once you have replied , post over FEW THOUSANDS in count

Post 'what?' over FEW THOUSANDS in count
Message 41 of 51
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

mikeforrest wrote:
post 'what?' over few thousands in count

new thread , reply , quote etc..
Message 42 of 51
Joe_
Apprentice

@mikeforrest,
These tags such as "Senior Member Netgear Fanatic" is the way Netgear has set up the forum to automatically assign and change the descriptive tags based on post count statistics. Some of us may not be too much in agreement with how that operates since it can be misleading to the unwary, but we have no control over it.
Message 43 of 51
GDL
Initiate
Initiate

Just another voice saying "this happens to me to".

While wired connections work, something happens to the wireless that only a reboot can temporarily cure.

happens to Toshiba, Dell, Acer, and iphone (3 and 4) , they all work fine with other networks - so the problem is not the client.

Not interference from another wireless network, I'm at 6 and my neighbours are all down by 1; and I'm at -40 db while they are showing -80 db.

Am I being punished for buying in a rush from PC World after the last router died - it feels like it.
Message 44 of 51
billrolfes
Aspirant

I have had a DGN1000 for about a month and experience the same problem, either with increasing frequency or nearing the end of my patience.

At apparently random times up to hours apart, the wireless connection is lost. The computers still see the SSID but cannot reconnect. Front panel lights are green. Wired connection still appears to work fine. The DGN1000 has to be power cycled then works just fine again for a while.

Our lan has an Apple airport Express mostly used as a printer server, an older netgear router set up as repeater to connect a blue ray player, occasionally an ipod, and up to 2 macs. We previously used a 2wire gateway which worked fine; we moved it to another location and bought this as a replacement.

I've tried:
Restarting attached devices
Various security schemes, currently Mixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
Firmware upgrade from .35 to V1.1.00.40_NA
Different channel auto, 1, 6, but just now saw a post claiming that channel 5 worked, so I've just done that

No wonder it was on sale....
Message 45 of 51
billrolfes
Aspirant

Changing to channel 5 did NOT help
Message 46 of 51
sabretooth
Apprentice

billrolfes wrote:
I have had a DGN1000 for about a month and experience the same problem, either with increasing frequency or nearing the end of my patience.

At apparently random times up to hours apart, the wireless connection is lost. The computers still see the SSID but cannot reconnect. Front panel lights are green. Wired connection still appears to work fine. The DGN1000 has to be power cycled then works just fine again for a while.

Our lan has an Apple airport Express mostly used as a printer server, an older netgear router set up as repeater to connect a blue ray player, occasionally an ipod, and up to 2 macs. We previously used a 2wire gateway which worked fine; we moved it to another location and bought this as a replacement.

I've tried:
Restarting attached devices
Various security schemes, currently Mixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
Firmware upgrade from .35 to V1.1.00.40_NA
Different channel auto, 1, 6, but just now saw a post claiming that channel 5 worked, so I've just done that

No wonder it was on sale....

Hard reset the router by pressing the reset pin hole in back for 30 seconds and release. Wait 10 seconds and power cycle the router. Re flash or upgrade the firmware now. Hard reset again and power cycle. Now reconfigure the router manually using no backup file. Now try.
Message 47 of 51
grhys
Aspirant

So I have the same problem with a new DGN1000 router delivered as part of my Orange Broadband Service Nov 2011.

The firmware is version V2.1.00.39_RG , which is completely new compared with those listed previously. Uptime is
Channel is listed as 1(P)+5(S) - so two different channels in N mode.
MTU size adjusted to 1492 - no benefit.
System Up Time 312:54:18 (only shows on the statistics screen)
May be linked to the browsed web page like the other thread ?

I am connected via a secondary WiFi router plugged into the cabled DGN Ethernet port, showing that both the WiFi on the laptop and the cabled DGN1000 port with ADSL connection to the Internet work fine.

The WiFi SSID can be seen but not connected. I might try NetStumbler see what it says.
Message 48 of 51
dnalevy
Novice

From experience with an older Netgear router I'm almost 100% sure the DGN1000 has bad capacitors that are overheating.
Has anyone tried changing the capacitors to see if that cures the dropping connection?
Message 49 of 51
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

This thread is now locked, because like so many long running threads it no longer serves any effective purpose. People tend to post once in these types of thread then disappear, it is much more useful for people to start their own new threads where there may be some chance that someone might be able to help them.
Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7