Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGN2200v4 routerlogin problem

grumpyxch
Aspirant

DGN2200v4 routerlogin problem

I have copied and pasted the following from some other place in this forum. I'm a beginner on this forum. I don't know where I had it before, I just stumbled in to wherever I could post a message, but was asked to move it:-

I have a DGN2200v4 router attached to a pc with Windows 7. I was trying to attach a new HP printer to the wifi, but I seem to have upset the router. I had deleted the old printer from the router, then later tried to add the new printer. Both the old and the new were on (or to be on) the wifi, but in trying to open routerlogin and add the new printer, I am having problems with not being able to get a response before it times out (most times) or can get the Basic Home view with the six icons but usually cannot get from there to the list of attached devices. On the rare few times I have got to the list of attached devices, I have only once been able to enter Access Control so that I could 'allow' the only blocked device. Even then I don't know whether the blocked device is the new printer or my wife's laptop.

The first time I tried to log onto routerlogin, I used routerlogin.net, and that produced a strange window, so I logged out and tried routerlogin.com. Usually the logouts also seem to timeout, though sometimes I get the Thankyou message.

Any suggestions what I should do, or is there a problem beyond my home, such as at my ISP or at Netgear?

Thankyou for any help

Model: DGN2200v4|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

@grumpyxch wrote:

I

I have a DGN2200v4 router attached to a pc with Windows 7. I was trying to attach a new HP printer to the wifi, but I seem to have upset the router. I had deleted the old printer from the router, then later tried to add the new printer. Both the old and the new were on (or to be on) the wifi, but in trying to open routerlogin and add the new printer, I am having problems with not being able to get a response before it times out (most times) or can get the Basic Home view with the six icons but usually cannot get from there to the list of attached devices.

Can we narrow down your problem?

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

Installing HP wireless printer software | Wireless Printing Center | HP® United Kingdom

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

@grumpyxch wrote:

The first time I tried to log onto routerlogin, I used routerlogin.net, and that produced a strange window, so I logged out and tried routerlogin.com. Usually the logouts also seem to timeout, though sometimes I get the Thankyou message.

Any suggestions what I should do, or is there a problem beyond my home, such as at my ISP or at Netgear?

Thankyou for any help

I am  not sure that this has anything to do with your printer problems. But you may have to mess around with Windows 7. That's a dangerous operating system to allow anywhere near the Internet. But with a DGN2200v4, a modem router with its origins in 2011, you are already in a security minefield.

I haven't played with Windows 7 for quite some time now, Windows 11 landed here yesterday, so the details are blurry, but in more recent versions it can help to run  one of those network wizards to look for problems.

@grumpyxch wrote:

I have copied and pasted the following from some other place in this forum. I'm a beginner on this forum. I don't know where I had it before, I just stumbled in to wherever I could post a message, but was asked to move it:-

Sorry about that. The self-appointed community police seem to be incapable of spotting that a message like yours has little to do with the model number. Just about any router could show the same symptoms. (See above.) A better strategy would have been to have provided an answer and to add a "for more try here" warning at the end. Instead we have the same message scattered all over the place. Not your fault. Maybe you will get answers from all over the place.

Message 2 of 7
grumpyxch
Aspirant

Hello Michael. Thankyou for your reply. The problem seems to be fixed now. The new printer was for my wife to use after her old printer (also connected via wifi, but turned off) failed permanently - broken cog. A symptom that I didn't know about at my first post was that, since we had started trying to install the new printer, the pc my wife uses (which is also connected to the router via the wifi) had developed a fault whereby it could no longer connect to the web - the connection was fine beforehand. It turned out that although I had deleted the old printer from the router, I hadn't deleted it from her pc, plus that the pc seemed to know a little about the new printer, probably because we had tried to download the setup software from HP (the printer maker). For some reason this caused the router to set the pc to 'blocked' (on the Attached Devices List) which I couldn't change back to 'allowed' because of the problems I was having with routerlogin. I deleted the old printer from the pc. That resulted in routerlogin now behaving properly so that I was able to set the pc to 'allowed' on the router. Communication to the web recovered immediately, I was able to download the setup software, and everything is now working perfectly.

Many thanks for your help

Message 3 of 7

@grumpyxch wrote:

The problem seems to be fixed now.

Excellent news. For future reference, I thought it might be worth commenting onntbhis bit:

@grumpyxch wrote:

It turned out that although I had deleted the old printer from the router, I hadn't deleted it from her pc, plus that the pc seemed to know a little about the new printer, probably because we had tried to download the setup software from HP (the printer maker).

You should not have to "forget" one printer before you add another one. It could be that your earlier efforts to get rid of the old one somehow got in the way of adding the new printer.

Your PC should be able to talk to any number of devices, including printers.

As long as you install what it takes to get the new printer to work with the PC, and they are set up as separate devices on the router, you should be able to switch between printers as you like.

Happy printing.

Message 4 of 7
grumpyxch
Aspirant

Thankyou Michael. The only problem I have now is how to load the new printer on my pc too. From what I remember of using 123.hp.com on my wifes pc, it seems to go into setting up Instant Ink too. I don't want to find I have booked two lots of ink just because I want to be able to use that printer from two pcs.

Message 5 of 7

@grumpyxch wrote:

Thankyou Michael. The only problem I have now is how to load the new printer on my pc too. From what I remember of using 123.hp.com on my wifes pc, it seems to go into setting up Instant Ink too. I don't want to find I have booked two lots of ink just because I want to be able to use that printer from two pcs.

I have no idea about printers on PCs, I am a Canon user. But it must be possible to do this without setting up a subscription.

You need all the drivers and things to use a printer regardless of how you print from it. Without that Windows won't know what to do with the printer, unless it has some sort of generic divers.

I'd tackle this on on the HP website. There may not be many people here with deep knowledge of how these printers work.

Installing HP wireless printer software | Wireless Printing Center | HP® United Kingdom

This might be useful:

Printing from multiple computers | Wireless Printing Center | HP® United Kingdom

It says there:

"If you have the software CD that came with your printer, simply install the printer software on each of the network computers you want to use the printer."

So it must be possible.

Message 6 of 7
grumpyxch
Aspirant

Hello Michael,

I seem to be getting caught between two manufacturers that are being too clever.

The HP Community site allows me to ask a question (so I did) but it complains about the title (they call it Subject) but doesn't indicate what the problem is. I have tried modifying the title but nothing seems to get round that problem so I cannot ask the question.

I thought I had found an alternative way of loading the printer software on my own pc, but the HP instructions stated it needed the printer wifi to be restarted (it just required a small button on the printer to be pressed for a few seconds).

That is where Netgear gets in the way. If we have turned the printer off (our usual practice) for a long enough time the router seems to forget the printer (don't know how long that off time needs to be for), at least I cannot find any mention of the printer on the Attached Devices lists).

Apparently, the printer will enable the wifi again after 2 hours but doesn't seem to allow me cancel the effect of the little button and go back to where it was before I pressed that button (I hope), so maybe when the 2 hours are up, the printer will reconnect to the router, the router will recognise it, and at least my wifes pc can use the printer (again, I hope).

Fingers crossed

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7