Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 Log mailing

7ven
Aspirant

DGND3700 Log mailing

It's a beautiful option to mail the log to an email address. From time to time (configurable) I receive an update or security log.

But... There's still one irritable issue. The router keeps track of time (because log entries are timed), but mails are send without time. I suppose this is a bug?
Message 1 of 14
7ven
Aspirant

Update: DGND3700 Log mailing

I do have some more details about this problem. The email does contain the date part but there's no year in it...

Example: "DATE: Tue Jan 17 01:01:00 PM" (from the router)(without year part)
Should be: "Date: 17 Jan 2012 14:06:28 +0000" (from netgear support)
Or: "Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:32:39 +0100" (from gmail)
Message 2 of 14
Scubbie
Apprentice

I wouldn't say that it was a 'bug' but more likely something that should or could be included in the information.

I would suggest that you raise a support ticket with Netgear and see what they say.

As for 'bugs' with the mailing option, you are lucky. I can't send any emails from mine as the router only uses port 25 and my email accounts can't use that port number on my Internet connection. I have raised this issue with Netgear some months ago and it still has not been addressed.
Message 3 of 14
7ven
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
I wouldn't say that it was a 'bug' but more likely something that should or could be included in the information.

And what does a date part say to you when the year is not included... According to the RFC 822 http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822/ the date part (chapter 5) should also contain the year.
Message 4 of 14
7ven
Aspirant

Re: Update: DGND3700 Log mailing

7ven wrote:
Example: "DATE: Tue Jan 17 01:01:00 PM" (from the router)(without year part)
[/COLOR]

Now I see the problem more clearly, the year part is send but in the future. The day is send as a year, becase Tue = 17 but not year 17. That should be year 2012 I assume 😄
Message 5 of 14
theTechman05
Aspirant

Re: Update: DGND3700 Log mailing

I think its more of these are immediate messages. They are not meant for looking at years into the future. You can always personally note it in a bug journal if you deem the message important to look back on.
Message 6 of 14
GlynM
Novice

Apologies I'm a bit late in this thread but I have experienced similar problems with emails for my DGN3700.

All the emails I am seeing from the router ate date/timed 1/1/1970 00:00 which I interpret to be a zero time/date value:

I think it is also worth noting that the router is setting the "from" address to be the "to" address and ignoring its own allocated address.

This is using Thunderbird as the mail tool on my pc and hmailserver as a local mail server on my network to service or local devices. All the other local devices, including a synology NAS and a time server, are getting the time, date & to + from addresses correct.

It is a bit of a pain as I get Thunderbird to order my emails by date/time and if there is a lot going it is difficult to work out which is the latest email from the router with wasting time looking inside each one.

Glyn
Message 7 of 14
GlynM
Novice

Appolagies, lots of typos. I was in a hurry :confused:

Corrected:

This is using Thunderbird as the mail tool on my pc and hmailserver as a local mail server on my network to service our local devices. All the other local devices, including a synology NAS and a time server, are getting the time, date & to + from addresses correct.

It is a bit of a pain as I get Thunderbird to order my emails by date/time and if there is a lot going on it is difficult to work out which is the latest email from the router without wasting time looking inside each one.

Glyn
Message 8 of 14
Scubbie
Apprentice

If all your logs are showing no date & time, then I would suggest that either your router isn't getting on-line or something is seriously wrong with it.

The router should be connecting to the Netgear Time Server so that the date & time are set when the router is on-line.
Message 9 of 14
GlynM
Novice

Scubbie wrote:
If all your logs are showing no date & time, then I would suggest that either your router isn't getting on-line or something is seriously wrong with it.

The router should be connecting to the Netgear Time Server so that the date & time are set when the router is on-line.

The router is getting time & date from the Netgear time server without any problem. The dates and times listed in the content of the emailed log files are fine. Its only the dates and times in email header that appear to be a zero value, e.g. here is part of an emailed log file from just before Christmas:

This appears to be a very similar problem to the one posted by the OP, 7Ven, above so I suspect it is some sort of bug in the router.

Nothing else in my local network is having any problem with time & dates in emails to me via my local email server, e.g here is an email from my local time server, using the same local mail server:

Glyn
Message 10 of 14
7ven
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:

Well if you read the posts the time is correctly in the router, but the format of the date is the problem.

The place to communicate the year is filled with the day (of the month).
Message 11 of 14
7ven
Aspirant

GlynM wrote:

This appears to be a very similar problem to the one posted by the OP, 7Ven, above so I suspect it is some sort of bug in the router.
Glyn

Correct indeed, this is how I found out. I found out that in the original mail send (if you open message details with thunderbird) that the year part is mixed up with the day of the month.

Pas week I also submitted a service call, that's currently forwarded to the second line I believe.
Message 12 of 14
JohnnyLaw
Aspirant

It's a long time since the last post here but as I was having odd connections I decided to send myself the logs.
Solved the date problem by setting a filter in thunderbird to forward them to myself.
Now they are all dated and timed correctly.
Message 13 of 14
JohnnyLaw
Aspirant

I appreciate that this is an old thread but as I was having some odd connections soI thought that I would E-mail myself the logs.

To correct the date and time issue of them all being dated 01/01/70 I set up a forwarding filter in Thunderbird.
This forwards them to me but with the correct date and time attached.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7