Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DM200 Modem and R6220 Router

CChristian
Aspirant

DM200 Modem and R6220 Router

4/23/2022- There was a power outage in my neighborhood a week ago. I seem to be getting a signal but unable to join my network. I have Net Genie for the router but no way to reconfigure the modem. Can anyone help?
Message 1 of 9

@CChristian wrote:
There was a power outage in my neighborhood a week ago. I seem to be getting a signal but unable to join my network.

Is the DM200 showing signs of life?

In other words, what does "seem to be getting a signal" mean?

Are the right LEDs illuminated? Is the DSL connecting? All lights green?

What about the R6220?

I have Net Genie for the router but no way to reconfigure the modem.

Which genie is this? Mobile app or desktop program? Nothing that uses wifi will connect to the DM200 because it doesn't do wifi.

Before you do anything else, have you been through the correct startup regime?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You may not need to get into the modem. But if you do, read the manual for instructions on how to do it.

A lot depends on the modem's mode. By default it arrives in modem/router mode. To work with the R6220 is should be in modem only  mode, unless you are running the router in access point mode. And that puts it beyond the usual entry points.

The manual tells you what you have to do.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

The Quick Start guide should help.

Or check the sections in the manual Disable the Modem’s Routing Features and Use the Modem as a DSL Modem Only and You Cannot Log In to the Modem.

Message 2 of 9
CChristian
Aspirant

All lights on modem (DM200) and Router(R6220) are green. Got connectivity for about 3 mins, then got an error message. “unable to connect to router” after many reboot attempts , still offline - even though Wi-Fi light is green. Any idea why?
Message 3 of 9

@CChristian wrote:
All lights on modem (DM200) and Router(R6220) are green.

Sounds like you have got an Internet connection on the modem.

Got connectivity for about 3 mins, then got an error message. “unable to connect to router” after many reboot attempts , still offline - even though Wi-Fi light is green. Any idea why?

What gave you that error message?

What does the router's Internet LED show?

unable to connect to router” after many reboot attempts

Connect to router how and with what?

As with all of these things, the devil is in the detail. I'm afraid that vague "doesn't work" responses are little help.

Message 4 of 9
CChristian
Aspirant

I am using the Nighthawk App on my iPhone to track the status of my internet connection and reboot my router. The Nighthawk App is where I receive router status and error messages. The router’s internet LED is solid green. The modem’s lights are all green. The router’s lights are all green. However, in the Nighthawk App. The R6220 router is not connected locally and the internet status is still offline. I am not an IT person. I hope my responses are making sense 😊
Message 5 of 9

@CChristian wrote:
The modem’s lights are all green. The router’s lights are all green.

That suggests that the router is connected. The router should be too.

However, in the Nighthawk App. The R6220 router is not connected locally and the internet status is still offline.

What does the wifi client you are using how when you try to connect to the R6220?

The app cannot "connect locally" if the device it is running on does not have a connection to the wifi from the router.

If possible, ditch the app and connect to the router with a wired link from a PC. The documentation (see above) tells you how to set that up.

What are you trying to connect to the router with wifi? What happens when you try it?

Do you know if the DM200 is on router or modem only mode?

Out of the box, the DM200 is in router mode. That gets in the way of using the R6220  as a router and can get in the way of things like wifi.

If you want to use the DM200 with a router, it is best to set that up from the start.

Message 6 of 9
CChristian
Aspirant

I tried the suggested and I am still offline. The most current error message is “Cannot Identify Server”. Is there a setting that can fix this error?
Message 7 of 9

@CChristian wrote:
I tried the suggested and I am still offline.

From earlier messages, this does not seem to describe what is happening at your end.

The only thing that is "offline" is your Nighthawk app.

The modem is online (green Internet light). The router is online (green Internet light).

I am  not sure what of "the suggested" you tried. We still don't have answers to some questions. Is the DM200 in modem only mode or modem/router mode?

Earlier you said:

The R6220 router is not connected locally and the internet status is still offline.

What does " not connected locally" mean? What tells you that?

What says "internet status is offline"?

If this is what you see on the Nighthawk app, all this tells us is that you have a problem with the Nighthawk app rather than the modem and router.

This is why it helps to use a wired connection to the router and a browser to see what is going on.

Message 8 of 9
CChristian
Aspirant

When the Ethernet (yellow) cable was plugged directly into the laptop, the error message was “internet connection was interrupted”.

I cannot be certain if the modem is in mode only mode or modem/ router mode. I don’t know how to tell. If I have understood your previous comment correctly, straight out the box - the modem is is modem/ router mode. I have no idea if this configuration has been altered somehow; however, my current set up modem DM200 + router R6220 has always worked together. If the modem is in modem/ router mode, yet has worked well until recently. What would have changed? I cannot definitively answer what mode the modem is in or how to tell.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7