Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to configure Netgear DG834GUv5 modem/router +a second modem router for extra LAN lines

Cocosoft
Aspirant

How to configure Netgear DG834GUv5 modem/router +a second modem router for extra LAN lines

Hi there to all brainiacs & techies who know about wierd & wonderful networking solutions.
Rather than buy even more equipment I am hoping to find a solution to join my Netgear DG834GUv5 ADSL2 modem /router with a second modem/router I have lying around to enable me to have a few more wired LAN lines.
I have read in several places that this is eminently possible, I just have not been able to find any complete solution explained for the hardware side of it or the configuration either. I have seen that it's possible to wire a cable from an RJ45 on the DG834GUv5 to the DSL port on a second modem/router and config the second one as a router only or a switch.

I have found the info on wiring the 2 ports together sketchy and/or conflicting, and the configuring info a little difficult but none referring specific to Optus account settings.

I am just NOT strong with networking and would truly appreciate help with this as an exercise in using what I already have rather than buying more and more stuff.
DID I SAY I WOULD APPRECIATE A BRAINIAC'S (<HELP) with this one.

Very happy to converse with people my own vintage (64) or young techies alike, I do not discriminate, even if you can steer me right with a few pointers you are sure of, that would be of assistance.

Best wishes all Have a good one Robert Man Happy

Model: DG834Gv5|54 Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to configure Netgear DG834GUv5 modem/router +a second modem router for extra LAN lines

If I understood you correctly, you want use the Netcomm as a basic switch.  This should be possible.  Follow these steps.  It's not as difficult as it looks:

1. Log into the Netgear and go to the DHCP Server settings.  They should be under the LAN settings.  If the starting address is 192.168.0.2 and the ending address is 192.168.0.254, then we will need to alter one of them in order to free up an address in order to assign it to the Netcomm.  You can either increase the starting address to 192.168.0.3 or greater or decrease 192.168.0.254 to 192.168.0.253 or smaller.  Click Apply to save this change.  The router may reboot.  Everything should come back.
  2. Power up the Netcomm and connect a single computer to it via Ethernet.  Do not connect the Netcomm to anything just yet.
  3. Log into the Netcomm and go to the WAN configuration page.  If there are any Static IP settings, then clear them and click Submit.
  4. Go the LAN configuration page.  Enter an IP address in the same subnet as your Netgear but outside of the range of DHCP addresses managed by the Netgear.  If you did step 1, then either 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.254 should be available.  If you do this incorrectly, then you risk the possibility that the Netgear will assign the same address to another device and cause an address conflict.  Write down the address you entered into the Netcomm.  This is the address you will use to log into the Netcomm in the future.  Do not click Submit yet.
  5. Set the DHCP Server to Disabled.  Click Submit.  At this point your connection to the router may drop.  That's ok.  You're done setting it up.
  6. Connect a Netcomm LAN port to a Netgear LAN port using Ethernet.  Enjoy 3 extra LAN ports.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: How to configure Netgear DG834GUv5 modem/router +a second modem router for extra LAN lines

What's the model of the second router?

Message 2 of 6
Cocosoft
Aspirant

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Your post was empty.

Message 4 of 6
Cocosoft
Aspirant

Second modem/router is a Netcomm NB1300 Plus4. I hope this can work for my proposed purpose, new to this, hope this post goes through. Help is still needed and will be appreciated so much thanks.

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

If I understood you correctly, you want use the Netcomm as a basic switch.  This should be possible.  Follow these steps.  It's not as difficult as it looks:

1. Log into the Netgear and go to the DHCP Server settings.  They should be under the LAN settings.  If the starting address is 192.168.0.2 and the ending address is 192.168.0.254, then we will need to alter one of them in order to free up an address in order to assign it to the Netcomm.  You can either increase the starting address to 192.168.0.3 or greater or decrease 192.168.0.254 to 192.168.0.253 or smaller.  Click Apply to save this change.  The router may reboot.  Everything should come back.
  2. Power up the Netcomm and connect a single computer to it via Ethernet.  Do not connect the Netcomm to anything just yet.
  3. Log into the Netcomm and go to the WAN configuration page.  If there are any Static IP settings, then clear them and click Submit.
  4. Go the LAN configuration page.  Enter an IP address in the same subnet as your Netgear but outside of the range of DHCP addresses managed by the Netgear.  If you did step 1, then either 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.254 should be available.  If you do this incorrectly, then you risk the possibility that the Netgear will assign the same address to another device and cause an address conflict.  Write down the address you entered into the Netcomm.  This is the address you will use to log into the Netcomm in the future.  Do not click Submit yet.
  5. Set the DHCP Server to Disabled.  Click Submit.  At this point your connection to the router may drop.  That's ok.  You're done setting it up.
  6. Connect a Netcomm LAN port to a Netgear LAN port using Ethernet.  Enjoy 3 extra LAN ports.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series