Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to set up D7000 modem router to CenturyLink bonded broadband?

MM2367
Tutor

How to set up D7000 modem router to CenturyLink bonded broadband?

I've called tech support and they said  I needed my user name and password which I believe I have and entered, but would not connect. I will call CenturyLink when they are open and confirm that I have the correct Username & password. If I do, is there any other suggestions on how to set up/connect? Thank you. 

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
MM2367
Tutor

OK. Thank you for all the help. 

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 17

All Replies
MM2367
Tutor

Just to let everyone know, no Netgear modem routers are compatible with my ISP. I have a bonded system and both CenturyLink & Netgear tech support confirmed this. Netgear did inform me that they are working on getting this kind of device out for retail sell. Apparently it is only available to industries/businesses at this current time. 

Message 2 of 17
TheEther
Guru

For future reference, always check the list of modems certified by your ISP.  CenturyLink's list appears to be here.

<soapbox>

I'm generally a fan of keeping the router and modem separate.  Modems are tied to the ISP's broadband technology (i.e. cable, DSL, fiber), while routers are not.  Routers also tend to be more reliable and are updated more frequently via firmware updates by vendors.  I transitioned through all three broadband technologies (cable, DSL and fiber) in the span of a year and kept my router throughout.

</soapbox>

Message 3 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

Thank you for this information! Wondering if I shut off the WiFi on my modem and connected the R7000 (router only), if that would work and perform properly?
Message 4 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Yes, your R7000 will work.  You have two options:

1. I assume that you have AT&T U-Verse, so the first option is to enable IP Passthrough/DMZ+ on the modem.  This will give your R7000 a public IP address and bypass most of the built-in routing and NAT functions performed by the modem.  There are pretty good instructions for setting this up on dslreports.com for the NVG589/NVG599 and the 2Wire HGV Series.  The instructions can be a little tricky and, at least for the NVG, requires the modem to be rebooted.  Note: This option allegedly cannot be used if you also have AT&T U-Verse Voice service.
  2. Enable AP mode on the R7000.  This essentially disables it as a router.

Personally, I favor and have used option 1.  I like to keep my home network protected behind my own router instead of the ISP's.

Message 5 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

Thank you. So, even with pair bonded DSL broadband, it will still work properly? 

*Note: My ISP is CenturyLink not AT&T. 

Message 6 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

My modem router is a CenturyLink branded Technicolor C2000T. If this helps?

Message 7 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, I don't know why I thought you had AT&T.  I was probably reading a different thread.

It should work.  If you want to go with my option #1, then I found this helpful thread on putting the Technicolor C2000T into bridging mode.  Otherwise, go with option #2 and use your Netgear router as an AP.

Message 8 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

No problem. I will look into it. Thank you for all the advice/recommendations.
Message 9 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

...Can you tell me what "AP" means?
Message 10 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

....OK... Got it.... AP = Access Point. Will my current router automatically stop when I connect it to the R7000?
Message 11 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Your current router will not be affected.

Do you have an R7000 or a D7000?

Message 12 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

I had an R7000 and took it back to the place of purchase, but want to get the D7000 if it will work.
Message 13 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

Sorry, I got that backwords. Had an R7000 but want the D7000. Sorry for the confusion.
Message 14 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

Disregard that last reply. I want the R7000.
Message 15 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Yeah, confusing.  Anyway, the R7000 should work.

Note: Be careful with installing the latest firmware, 1.0.5.48, on the R7000.  It's widely believed to be very buggy.  Fortunately, the older versions are relatively stable and it's easy to downgrade.

Message 16 of 17
MM2367
Tutor

OK. Thank you for all the help. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7