Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Incorrect password” message when accessing 2.4GHZ , 1st 5GHZ wireless bands on D8500 Nighthawk

Rachad_Khoury
Aspirant

Incorrect password” message when accessing 2.4GHZ , 1st 5GHZ wireless bands on D8500 Nighthawk

Hello all ! , I hope you are doing well , i bought my very first Netgear product , the D8500 , In November 2018 . i switched it on for the first time , 2 days back . it took me about 30 minutes to configure it then I did a firmware upgrade to 1.0.42-1.0.1 . the router worked well for few hours with an impressive signal range !!! Then the signal ( 2.4 GHZ ) dropped down suddenly !!. i tried to reconnect but without success , I always get the message “incorrect password”, no matter how much I tried with any mobile I have or IPad , I get the same error message “incorrect password”. i have changed the SSID name and password , I even kept the 2.4 GHZ band “open” and I still get the error message “incorrect password” even if I stand 1 meter away from the router and the 2.4GHZ signal strength is at the maximum on the device to be connected....... i have that same issue on the 1st 5GHZ band . i can connect to the router only through the second 5GHZ band or through tan Ethernet cable !!. all the 4 blue LED on the antennas are lit , the power LED is solid white at all times , the DSL LED is solid white all times , the LED of the 3 bands are solid white and blinks occasionally . if I login to the router and check the wireless status under “advanced” , it shows that all the 3 bands are with green check mark , which indicates no issues with any of the wireless bands....... i checked the website , I saw a firmware upgrade to 1.3.44-1.0.1. I did this firmware upgrade but unfortunately I did not help. i have downgraded the firmware back to 1.3.39-1.0.1 but problem remains the same...... i have not found a way to raise this matter to official support of Netgear , i couldn’t find the path to create a ticket for this case .

i did factory reset , reconfigured the wireless ( SSID name and password ) many times , unfortunately , the problem remains the same.

i let the client devices “forget” the WIFI name and i tried to reconnect , without success......

i have upgraded the firmware to 1.3.44 , it did not help as well !!

kindly let me know if anyone has ever faced such a problem and what was the solution for it .

it would be great if anyone can share the link to raise a ticket to NETGEAR Support in regard to this problem, I’m still elligible for the complementary support .

thank you in advance for the help to resolve this “ terrible “ and “unexpected “ problem that happened

only few hours after switching on the router for the very first time !!!!

Regards

Rachad Khoury 

Message 1 of 7
Rachad_Khoury
Aspirant

Re: Incorrect password” message when accessing 2.4GHZ , 1st 5GHZ wireless bands on D8500 Nighthawk

hello again ,

i'm sharing with you the latest updates , the complication is getting worst !!

yesterday i made a factory reset from the Genie app and reconfigured the internet connection from scratch , i'm still facing the same problem with 2.4 GHZ and 1 st 5GHZ bands , i always get "incorrect password" message......

the new issue now is that i see 4 SSID names when i switch on the router .

initially , there was 3 SSID , the default ( factory preset SSID ) names are as follows :

NETGEAR56

NETGEAR56-5G

NETGEAR56-5G2

since yesterday , i see a 4th SSID name that i never configured or gave it this name ,

i see NGTGEAR56...... , very strange !!!.

i have not configured or activated any guest netwrok ....

i'm sure that SSID "NGTGEAR56" is broadcasted by the D8500 because all the 4 SSID come together when i switch on the router and also , all the 4 disappear when the router is switched off !! 

to all the Superusers and responsible for the community channel , kindly share the link to contact NETGEAR support , officially, in order to raise a ticket for this issue....

there should be a proper support channel where such complications are addressed to an expert who can help in solving problems....

Thank you very much for your time and support

Regards

Rachad Khoury

Message 2 of 7

@Rachad_Khoury wrote:

yesterday i made a factory reset from the Genie app 

You might try the "paperclip in the back" factory reset.

There is a manual for the D8500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section  Rear Panel With Ports, Buttons, and a DC Connector and Factory Settings.

Remember the wifi login settings (defaults are on the label) are not the same as the router login settings.

@Rachad_Khoury wrote:

to all the Superusers and responsible for the community channel , kindly share the link to contact NETGEAR support , officially, in order to raise a ticket for this issue....

there should be a proper support channel where such complications are addressed to an expert who can help in solving problems....

You can contact support through MyNetgear.

MyNETGEAR | My Products

Message 3 of 7
Rachad_Khoury
Aspirant

Hello Michael ,

thanks again for the feedback , kindly find below the feedback for your comments :

You might try the "paperclip in the back" factory reset.

very well noted , i always used the button at the back side of the router in the earlier factory reset that i did , only yestedray i used the "routerlogin.net" to reset the router .

today i used again the button at the backside of the router , luckily , the 4th SSID did not show up again , however , the initial problem in connecting to the 2.4 GHZ or the 1st 5GHZ is still there.... 

There is a manual for the D8500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section  Rear Panel With Ports, Buttons, and a DC Connector and Factory Settings.

well noted , i have downloaded the installation and some other documents from this link , thank you .

Remember the wifi login settings (defaults are on the label) are not the same as the router login settings.

your message is well understood , the router login settings are "admin"and "password" by default , i'm unsing these credentials to login to the router , there are no issues with these credentials .

the only 2 ways for me to login to the router or to access the internet is by using an ethernet cable or the 2nd 5GHZ wifi band .

the 2.4 GHZ and the 1st 5GHZ are not accsessible whether i use default settings which are on the label or i choose any SSID name / password at mt convenience ... i always get "incorrect password" .... even if i kept the 2.4 GHZ band "open" i still get "incorrect password""if i try to connect any device throught this band , which is not logic !!.

You can contact support through MyNetgear

i have opened a case with official NETGEAR support , by using the link that you provided , thank you.

i have collected some snapshots from the NETGEAR Genie app showing some information about the wireless analytics and settings that could be useful in doing diagnostics .

i have submitted these snapshots to the support team , i'm sharing it with the community also , for review and records.

thank you very much for the time and support given to this issue .

Regards

Rachad Khoury 

Message 4 of 7

@Rachad_Khoury wrote:

very well noted , i always used the button at the back side of the router in the earlier factory reset that i did , only yestedray i used the "routerlogin.net" to reset the router .

I mentioned "paperclip" so that people could tell the difference between the indented reset "button" and the power switch, a different button.

The power switch just reboots (power cycles) the device. It does not clear the settings.

Message 5 of 7
Rachad_Khoury
Aspirant

hello all ,

i'm sharing with you the latest update about this issue .....

i have opened a case on Jan-6-2019 with detailed explanation of the issue that i'm facing , i got a reply on Jan-7-2019 with very basic tips to try.

i've tried these tips but unfortunately , it did not solve the problem....

from Jan-7-2019 till the time i'm writing this message , i have not received any reply from Netgear support though i've sent 2 reminders and contacted the live chat for an update on the status of the case and who is handling it !!!! .

so far , the support is way below expectations....

i'm sharing the thread of the correspondance with Netgear support agent , just for the records.....

while waiting for updates , i've surfed the net , Netgear community specfically, looking for reports about the 2.4 GHZ band problems and honestly , i found many .

seems like the R8500 , the 7800 and the 7000 series had the same issue that i'm facing , this problem is know by the support team for over a year now , i've not found any case where the solution is mentioned , it's like no solution was ever found !!!

after all what happened so far , i can say that the "quality" of the support is absolutely not acceptable. I hope that the support team will not ignore this case till the 90 days of complimentary support expires , as this is absolutely unprofessional !!!

kindly read the thread of correspondace with Netgear support team here below :

Review Ticket History – Case #40867170

Summary:
D8500 - "incorrect password " OR "can't connect to this network" on 2.4 GHZ and 1st 5GHZ bands
Pending Agent Action
Communication History:

Online Comment

2019-01-06 10:23:33
D8500 - hello NETGEAR support team , I hope all of you are doing well , the D8500 was working well for few hours after the very first switching on , then , 2.4GHZ and 1st 5GHZ bands are no longer accessible !! I always get messages like "incorrect password " OR "can't connect to this network" on any device I try to connect to these 2 bands , only the 2nd 5GHZ band is still working fine ! . I tried to let the clients / devices "forget" the network and then try to reconnect again , unfortunately , this did not solve the problem. I tried the "factory reset" many times , reconfigured the network , SSID names and passwords , but this did not help. The initial firmware ver. was 1.0.3.39 , I have upgraded to 1.0.3.44 but this also did not help!. I have taken many snapshots from the Netgear genie , this might be helpful in diagnostics , it would be great if you can give me a link to upload these snapshots. many thanks for your time and support in this matter . regards Rachad Khoury

Online Comment

2019-01-06 10:33:54
hello again , I forgot to mention that all the 4 blue LED lights on the antennas are lit , the power LED is solid white at all times , the wifi bands LED are solid white and blinks occasionally . if I keep the 2.4 GHZ open , I still get "incorrect password" if I try to connect any device to 2.4GHZ band or 1st 5GHZ band. I hope I was able to give useful information about this problem. thank you Regards Rachad Khoury

Netgear Support

2019-01-07 12:06:32
Hi Rachad, Thank you for taking the time to contact us at NETGEAR Email support. This is Ana with Expert ID 46461 and I will do my best to assist you with your query. Your NETGEAR D8500 warranty details are as follows: •Purchase date: November 22, 2018 •Basic technical support (from purchase date): 90 days •Hardware warranty (from purchase date): 1 year For more information regarding our support options, please visit http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx Please note that the product support are available based on its warranty entitlement. In order for me to complete the registration, may I have the name of the reseller/retailer you purchased the product from and your phone number to complete your record information? Going back to the reason of your contact, please try to follow the steps below; 1. Log in first to your router web interface by connecting a computer straight to your router. To log in to the modem router: A.) Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the network. B.) Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. You can also type http://www.routerlogin.com or http://192.168.0.1.The procedures in this manual use http://www.routerlogin.net. A login window opens. The nature of the login window depends on your web browser. C.) Enter the modem router user name and password. The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive. Click the OK button. 2. Select Wireless on the left side options. 3. On the 2.4GHz Channel, please select 9. 4. On the 5GHz Channel, please select 44. 5. Hit Apply afterwards to save the new settings. Observe the connection for 2-3 hours. If the problem is still the same please contact us back. For additional information about your product, please visit http://www.netgear.com/support/product/D8500 Should you have questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this email for us to further assist you. Do not hesitate to reply anytime you want as we are available 24/7. To reply to this email, please log into https://my.netgear.com Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Regards, Ana Expert ID: 46461 NETGEAR Support Expert **Please be reminded that this case will auto close after 7 days of inactivity.

Online Comment

2019-01-07 01:17:18
Hello Ana , I hope you are doing well , thank you very much for the quick reply and the detailed step by step procedures to follow !. in regard to your inquiry about the name of the reseller/retailer i purchased the product from and my phone number to complete my record information , I have attached to this message a snapshot that shows the reseller name and address , invoice date and number.I will go through the suggested steps , thoroughly , and I will update you with the findings . Thank you very much for your time and support ! Regards Rachad Khoury

Online Comment

2019-01-07 04:05:20
Hello Ana , thanks again for the tips that you shared earlier . I have connected my laptop straight to the router with the ethernet cable delivered with the D8500 modem/router and I have followed the steps that was suggested sequentially , unfortunately , the problem is still there. kindly check the attached photo that shows the 2.4GHZ band broadcasting on channel 9 and the 1st 5GHZ band broadcasting on channel 44 . my problem is that I cannot connect to the router or the internet via the 2.4GHZ or the 1st 5GHZ . I can connect to the router or the internet only via the 2nd 5GHZ band !! if I keep the default SSID name and password for all the 3 bands or create new SSID name and password for the 3 bands , I always get the message of "incorrect password" if I try to use the 2.4GHZ band no matter which device i'm trying to connect , laptop , iPhone , ipad etc.... so the wireless 2.4GHZ connection is never established. if I try to use the 1st 5GHZ band , the wireless connection is established but NO DATA is transferred between the router and the connected device !! , in other words , I can see the signal strength of the 1st 5GHZ band on the connected device , but NO DATA is transferred !! . if I try to open any website , it doesn't open , if I try to login to the router itself , I cannot do it . the only channel that works fine , connects me to the router or to the internet , is the 2nd 5GHZ channel . I can connect any device to this 2nd 5GHZ band and have internet access or login to the router without any issues ….. the "strange" thing that i'm noticing is that the "security" status of the 2.4GHZ band is seen as "open" in the Netgear Genie app but in reality it is NOT open , it is configured for WPA2-PSK with a password. i'm not sure if you had a chance to look at the attachments that I sent earlier , I have circled the status of the 2.4 GHZ band in green color and also I took a snapshot of the 2.4 GHZ band configuration that shows the security level is WPA2-PSK with a password. whether i keep the default SSID name and password for all the 3 bands or change it I will always get the message "incorrect password" for the 2.4GHZ band , knowing that the password is the same for all the 3 bands !!! , I can only login to the router or access the internet via the 2nd 5GHZ band or the Ethernet cable connected to any of the 6 ports at the back side of the router.... I have taken some snapshots for your review and evaluation , kindly check it out . I hope I was able to give enough information to help you diagnosing the problem . thank you for your time and support Regards Rachad Khoury

Online Comment

2019-01-09 08:11:56
Hello Ana , I hope you are doing well , may I ask for an update about this query ? is this case still handled by you or has it been raised to a different level of support ? thank you very much for your time and support in this matter. Regards Rachad Khoury

Online Comment

2019-01-11 11:06:24
Hello Ana , I hope you are doing well , i'm still waiting for updates in regard to the problem that i'm facing . I have surfed the net , the Netgear community , etc... searching about this problem , it is obvious that this is a known problem and has happened before on R8500 and D7000 models, many times....... unfortunately, there was no straightforward solution to this problem , no discussion has ever mentioned what was done to resolve this issue. I see that this is a serious problem that needs attention . kindly update me with the way forward to diagnose this problem , it has been 4 days since your last message.... Thank you for your time and support. Regards Rachad Khoury kindly

Message 6 of 7
Rachad_Khoury
Aspirant

Hello all ,

i hope you are doing well ,

after couple of diagnostics sessions over phone with Netgear support , the D8500 was declared to be faulty .

Netgear issued an RMA number for me and i sent back the defective unit to the dealer who sold the item .

the surpsise was that Netgear does not have a stock , the estimated time to have a replacement D8500 in Netgear warehouse is not less than 45 days.......

it seems like this model is no longer in production or already discontinued.... i can't say but i'm no longer confortable ....

with this situation, i've totally lost confidence in the product and the company that manufacture it..... , therefore i have chosen to purchase a Dlink Cobra AC5300.

the Dlink is not problems free for sure , but seems to be more stable and less problematic than the D8500.

i thank Netgear for taking responsibility and accepting to return the defective item that worked well for few hours only .

i thought of sharing with you the full story , in order to show you how Netgear dealt with this matter and how they took ownership and responsibility , i didn't want to share only the "downside" of the issue.

hopefully the successor of the D8500 will be a much more stable and robust model.

thank you

regards

Rachad

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7