Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest Firmware has broken LAN IP Address Reservations

OzGobo
Aspirant

Latest Firmware has broken LAN IP Address Reservations

Hi All,

Just updated to 10.0.1.10 and Lo! and Behold! the IP Address reservations have stopped working.  This is annoying with wireless printers let me tell you.  I've tried:

• Rebooting the router
  • Removing the IP Address reservations, rebooting the router, re-adding the IP address reservations
  • I saw the same problem on another thread with the D7000 which was solved by reverting to an older firmware.  I did try that (10.0.0.48), but after the router warned me about downgrading yadda yadda it sat there with the twirly spining for about an hour before I clicked off it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Scott.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

If IP reservation is broken, fall back to your previous version of firmware. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7800.aspx#download

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
netwrks
Master

If IP reservation is broken, fall back to your previous version of firmware. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7800.aspx#download

Message 2 of 13
OzGobo
Aspirant

Hi there netwrks,

I had tried that yesterday, but the router didn't upload the file and I ran out of time.  I tried again today with the same .img file and it worked a treat, go figure.  Pity, there was some stuff in the new firmware I wanted to use.  This seems to happen with some firmware?  I wonder if I delete all of my reservations, restart the router and then upgrade to the new firmware before recreating them if that would work.  An experiment for a weekend where I have more time methinks!

Anyways,

Cheers.

Message 3 of 13

Did you perform a factory reset after flashing the new firmware?

This often is not necessary. But when you find that something is broken that can fix it.

I have used various strategies to handle these circumstances, they all start with making a backup of my current settings. (The reasons for that will become clearer later.) Then I try things in  this order:

• flash the new firmware and continue as before

If that does not work, then:

• flash the new firmware (if you've done that already you can skip this step)
  • reset to factory settings
  • reload backup of current settings

If that works, great. But if not:

• flash the new firmware (if you've done that already you can skip this step)
  • reset to factory settings
  • reconfigure things manually

Most people warn against reloading a backup after a reset because it may restore something that conflicts with the new firmware. But that may not always be the case, hence it may work trying that as a strategy. It all depends on what has changed in the firmware.

Of course, you can't be really sure if loading the old settings does not leave behind some residual nasty that you haven't spotted, but if you have a complicated configuration, it can save time.

Who said these things were scientific?

Message 4 of 13
l3ully
Tutor

Had the same issue, rolled back to V1.0.0.48 and it is now working.  The latest firmware is clearly causing issues.

Message 5 of 13
OzGobo
Aspirant

Hi there michaelkenward,

No I haven't done that yet, but it is on my list of things to do once I have an hour or so to give it a try.  Read: when I won't get yelled at for taking the connection down 🙂

Message 6 of 13
bobjane
Star

Good luck with this.

LAN IP reservations stopped working with the D7000 1.0.0.34 firmware 4 and a half months ago. Wasn't fixed in 1.0.0.38. 1.0.0.42 was released 2 days ago and the release notes do not mention this issue being addressed, I have yet to work up the courage to try this latest version.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Nighthawk-D7000-DHCP-Address-Reservation-not-Wor...

Funny how Netgear is introducing old bugs to new models. I wonder how many months it will take for them to fix this one.

Message 7 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello bobjane

I have seen a post from another community member that has tested the address reservation and it did work.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 13
bobjane
Star

DarrenM,

Surely it would be more reliable not to mention much much more professional for Netgear to test for and verify reported/possible bugs rather than relying on seeing singular posts from random community members.

Am I the only one who finds it alarming that Netgear appears to do no testing of its own? Instead having reps constantly asking community members to test for and verify the existance of non-situational and non-intermittent errors.

Message 9 of 13
OzGobo
Aspirant

I agree, it would be better if Netgear actually did provide greater community support, but I don't think it will ever happen.

I'm going to be testing this over the next week or so as I try and resolve another issue which appears to be related directly to the Netgear router and compatibility issues with Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client software: https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Netgear-D6400-with-Cisco-Annyconnect-VPN-Losing-... which appears to be related to my current problem : https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/Problem-with-VPN-connection-to-external-network/...

Its looking more and more like I'm going to have to get something else if I can't resolve that last one.  Oh well.  When I've been through it all I'll update both threads.

Message 10 of 13
l3ully
Tutor

I can confirm from testing it myself that there is an issue with address reservations with the 1.0.1.10, Rolling back to 1.0.0.48 resolved the issue.

Please fix this.

Message 11 of 13

@l3ully wrote:

I can confirm from testing it myself that there is an issue with address reservations with the 1.0.1.10...

To help diagnose this issue, and for the help of others in the same boat, can you confirm that you reset the device to factory settings before testing?

This isn't always necessary but is sometimes needed for some features. You certainly need to reset if you have problems.

PS See above for a strategy that can save settings for later recovery.

Message 12 of 13
l3ully
Tutor

After updating to 1.0.1.10 I did a factory reset

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements