Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear D7000 unable to detect DSL signal

Jonesey69
Aspirant

Netgear D7000 unable to detect DSL signal

Hi,

I've just received a new Netgear D7000 VDSL2 router. I'm on Talk Talk FTTC (not fast - normal sync around 12mbps). I have the following problem. After the new Netgear unit arrived I...

- Unplugged the working Talk Talk 'SuperRouter'
- Plugged the Netgear in and switched on. Netgear is unable to even detect a DSL signal on the line, asking me to plug the DSL cable in (it was plugged in fine).
- Swapped back to Talk Talk router - all ok; picks up VDSL no problem.
- Swapped back to Netgear, same problem. Then, randomly after a few minutes, Netgear suddenly detects VDSL signal. All fine.
- I come down this morning and the Netgear has lost the connection and can no longer detect the VDSL on the line.
- Swap to Talk Talk router - all ok.
- Take Netgear to a family member with FTTC. Works perfectly first time, recognising the VDSL signal with no problem.
- Bring Netgear home. Change VDSL faceplate to the dongle style filter that comes in the Netgear box. Still no luck.
- Plug in Talk Talk modem (with Netgear dongle) - all works fine!

So basically, other than for that short spell, the Netgear refuses to recognise the VDSL signal on the line when my ISP supplied router has no problem. Problem was not solved by a change of faceplate/filter. Any suggestions as to where the problem might be? I would say it was a faulty unit but the fact it worked fine on an alternative connection makes me wonder.

Message 1 of 27
netwrks
Master

Just to clarify.. The RJ11 cable is fully seated into the DSL port on the back of the router?

Message 2 of 27
Jonesey69
Aspirant

Yes, that's the obvious problem isn't it but the RJ11 cable is clicked in to the DSL port fine. Although I didn't mention in my original email, I've even tried two cables - the original one and the one in the Netgear box and no luck with either.

Message 3 of 27
VE6CGX
Master

Just a wild guess, signal level at your place is bit low for R7000? 

Message 4 of 27
Jonesey69
Aspirant

I guess that's possible - it's pretty poor if that is the case as 13mbs isn't exactly on the edge of usability in terms of line quality.

Message 5 of 27
netwrks
Master

@Jonesey69 Is it possible to try another phone plug elsewhere in your home? Maybe closer to the carrier's demarcation? Try plugging the D7000 there, to see if it comes up?

Message 6 of 27
Jonesey69
Aspirant

The unit is plugged into the master socket and there are no extensions running from this, so no possible problems there.

Message 7 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jonesey

I know that with cable ISPs that the cable company tracks the mac address of your modem and adds it to your account and you cant attach another modem until you call them and add it maybe you should contact your DSL company and see if they need the mac address of the modem in order for it to work. I know that normally a DSL login works with any modem you put on but just a suggestion.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 27
Uzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im having this very problem, however the router did work for a month before this issue. States there is a cable not connected etc. Tried everything I can think of!

Message 9 of 27
ricke17
Apprentice

I am assuming you have the most up to date firmware on board the D7000?

I am with plusnet and everything is fine this end - some sky users are reporting lock ups etc (see this thread - you may have to register - see the last 3-4 pages http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18676821).

Rick.

Message 10 of 27
Uzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. Getting the unit replaced today. If that does not work I will look at these pages.

Message 11 of 27
PD
Initiate
Initiate

Had the same issue, Nighthawk recognized the DSL for a few seconds when I entered by PPP login/password, but after that no luck. Netgear service support says could be bad DSL module interface, returing the modem to bestbuy, and getting a replacement.

Message 12 of 27

I am having similar problems with my D7000. My HH4 works ok on the line but when I connect the D7000 the Internet light (second light) stays amber and DSL light (3rd light) will not come on at all. When I log into the router and go through Genie installation i get the message that cable is unplugged. Neither BT or Netgear seem to be able to get me going. Netgear have tried everything so I am thinking I have a faulty DSL module in mine but Netgear are saying this is not possible as its a high end product. Even a Rolls Royce breaks down! BT on the other hand are useless and will not support 3rd party devices; the advisors based in India insist they only have information for their own devices, yet the D7000 is offered by BT business as an alternative.

Some please help

Message 13 of 27
Uzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried my old router which worked so I new it was the netgear router. BT are pants. Idnet are great! Netgear sent out a replacement which worked no problem. First unit obviosly faulty!

Message 14 of 27

One thing they dont say clearly in the manual is that when the D7000 is powered up and goes through its boot up, when its ready to go before loading Genie app, should the DSL light light up (white) or is that after Genie setup?

All I get is the internet light on orange and dsl does not light up at all

Message 15 of 27
ricke17
Apprentice

Seems it is a faulty unit - can you get it replaced?

Message 16 of 27

Its under warranty so cant see that being a problem. I've just been battling with it for the past 2 months thinking i was doing something wrong. Netgear should have just said that it must be a faulty unit. Ive only recently moved and dont know anyone locally (Axminster) who can plug it into their line and see if it works. I was getting convinced it might be my line but HH4 is working on it.

@ricke17 wrote:

Seems it is a faulty unit - can you get it replaced?

Message 17 of 27
ricke17
Apprentice

I would get it sent back, clearly it is faulty.

Message 18 of 27

Netgear are sending me another unit, so fingers crossed. They made a bit of a deal asking why it has taken me so long to talk to them as it had not worked since new, 6 weeks ago. Told them to check their history as I had been in touch with them 2 times before and they didnt suggest sending me another unit after they gave up trying to get it to work. I think they were trying to palm me off with a repair when they realised I had reported the problem to them within their period for swap out.They said something about sending me the newest unit. Not sure if they meant latest firmware version of the D7000 or what, but will soon find out. Will keep you posted.

Message 19 of 27
ricke17
Apprentice

Nice one - keep us posted!

Message 20 of 27
Nicolaib
Initiate

I'm experiencing the exact same thing with a Danish ISP. After a lot of struggle and support from Netgear it suddenly worked. However, for the last week or so it has not been able to get a dsl signal. My ISP stocked router still works fine when I plug it in. Did the replacement router solved your problem?

Message 21 of 27
Uzi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. All works good now for the last few months. Get it changed. Good luck.

Message 22 of 27
Mung
Aspirant

Just brought the D7800 and I have the same problem went to my isp and they were hopeless so then spent an hour talking to India..... no luck as yet. Currently running the wizard and it's performing a quick scan ... 40 mins so far.
Message 23 of 27
HuleoAmadaeus
Initiate

It's the new firmware that is the issue. I have discovered that Firmware Version V1.0.0.16 and earlier works fine. Whereas later versions lose the ability to detect the DSL line. I tested this on several brand new D7000 units for confirmation. All you have to do is install the older firmware.
Message 24 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello HuleoAmdaeus

Who is the ISP that you use?

DarrenM

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 6 kudos