Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear giving up on the DGND3700, DGND3700v2 to be released instead.

NutZInTheHead
Aspirant

thanks Scubbie for the reply.
I have contacted both Netgear about this and the retail store I bought the modem from.
Obviously the store wont take it back because it's not a faulty product. But Netgear should at least consider replacing mine with something else.
Thing is I don't mind paying the difference and getting a better device that can last me longer.

Also the thought of getting a separate modem is good but I still like to resolve it some other way if I can.

but still thanks Scubbie for the reply. really appreciate it.

btw does Netgear have a modem with just 1 ethernet port available in their product list. Given if I wasn't successful with getting a replacement for my DGND3700 at least I don't want to pay a hefty price for a modem with other functionalities I don't need. Just IPv6 support will be sufficient.
I really wish I had gotten either the WNDR3700 or WNDR4000 instead of this and just used a separate modem with it.

Oh well. Lesson learnt.
Message 76 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

The DM111PSP is an ADSL2+ Modem. I don't think that it supports IPv6 at the moment though from what I have seen.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wired-routers-and-modems/wired-modems/DM111PSP.aspx#
Message 77 of 287
NutZInTheHead
Aspirant

I have got a reply from Netgear and to be honest I wasn't expecting this answer. Well I hope they are right.

Here is the reply:
I understand that you want to have your NETGEAR DGND3700 replaced with a DGND3700v2. I do apologize for the inconvenience and I will be happy to assist you with your issue.

With regards to the IPv6 support on your device, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and we already forwarded this concern to our process engineers since we are hoping that it will be included in the next firmware that they are trying to create. We also would like to apologize since there are no specific date as of when the firmware will be released but as soon as it is available it will be posted in our website http://support.netgear.com

I trust this information will be of assistance, however, please do not hesitate to contact us again if you require any further assistance.

Now from what I understand from their reply is 2 things if I'm not mistaken.
1. They are kind of saying that they will replace my DGND3700v1 with a v2 if support for IPv6 doesn't come to the v1 of this modem/router.
2. That there might actually be a firmware made for this to support IPv6?? Well if I have understood this correctly then that's great. Well I hope so because if that's the case then I don't need to do anything further at this point. However if this turns out that the next firmware will not include IPv6 support then I might ask them to replace my DGND3700v1 with v2 or something similar.

At this point what do you think is the best course of action?:)

Thanks for all the replies btw.
Message 78 of 287
alanOB
Aspirant

Message 79 of 287
arobertson676
Novice

Message 80 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

Funny that I saw the last ww firmware at *.9. I wonder what happened to it? I guess that means the U.K. gets it first. Still waiting for a call back on my v1 so we'll see where that goes before I start looking for v2 buy sites. Still going to be real hard to trade up if they don't fix v1 anyway.
Message 81 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

theTechman05 wrote:
Funny that I saw the last ww firmware at *.9. I wonder what happened to it? I guess that means the U.K. gets it first. Still waiting for a call back on my v1 so we'll see where that goes before I start looking for v2 buy sites. Still going to be real hard to trade up if they don't fix v1 anyway.

Hi Techman

Was looking to buy a v1 but have been put off by the posts on this forum. Now patiently waiting for v2 to start being sold in the UK (as my current Netgear router is 'creaking' :(). I check for buy sites but have not come across any yet. If you happen to come across any before me would you be kind enough to advise here (or PM me if you prefer)...and I will do the same in return?

Cheers

Balders 🙂
Message 82 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

There are plenty of people who have found the DGND3700 to be a nice router.

It should always bee remembered that people tend to post on forums when they experience issues and wish to get them resolved.

If you don't want to wait, consider an alternative solution such as a Modem and Cable router.

In the UK over the next few years it is likely that ADSL will become a thing of the past and this option will be common place, although with a cable modem (Fibre or VM Cable) rather than an ADSL Modem.

One reason I wanted the DGND3700 was because I wanted an ADSL router that would later be able to be used as a full Cable router when BT Openreach rolled out their FTTC Cabinets where I live. Several people have been able to use the DGND3700 on their BT Fibre connections, so it can work in that situation.

I've was offered an alternative solution recently and have taken it up. I am currently now checking over my new setup. The replacement router arrived yesterday and the DGND3700 is looking a little sorry as it sits ready to be shipped back to Netgear.
Message 83 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

The router itself is fine, its just the software that controls it that is inconvenient. Its a standards game with this router being global and all, so some problems you may see and some you won't.

If it really was that bad each person who called to report would be whisked secretly to v2's and this forum wouldn't have the 150,000+ views daily:rolleyes:.

They gotta do something before I accidentally toss their rma box.
Message 84 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

I have come to the conclusion that there is an issue with how the DGND3700 handles it's memory. The resolution could well be firmware or hardware.

I remember issues in the 90s with the M$ C or C+ compiler having problems handling memory and perhaps this is something which is happening here.

If the problem is hardware related, then I would hope that the lessons gained over the past year will have helped to produce a great product in the v2.
Message 85 of 287
arobertson676
Novice

Scubbie, what is your new router? Is the DGND3700 going back for good?
Message 86 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

arobertson676 wrote:
Scubbie, what is your new router?

WNDR3800 & Modem

I'm having some problems with the Modem too at the moment. It can't hold it's connection. I don't know if this is because of a call I placed to Sky on my line last week (still waiting for call back) or because Sky are preventing PPPoA connections or the Modem has issues.

arobertson676 wrote:
Is the DGND3700 going back for good?

Yep.
Message 87 of 287
NutZInTheHead
Aspirant

Hi Scubbie and everyone else 🙂

The store I bought my DGND3700v1 has accepted to take it back for a reasonable restock fee. I can live with that.

Now if they allow me to get a higher-end product should I go for the WNDR4000 or WNDR4500. This question is more or less not needed as I have read the specs. Its more to get your opinions and experiences that you all have in general of Netgear products.

I'm happy getting a router and a separate modem to go with it.
This is what I should have done from the beginning.
I think its a better idea.
What does everyone think.

Thanks.
Message 88 of 287
NutZInTheHead
Aspirant

Another question I was going to ask.

Lets say I went and got the WNDR4500 and then connect a ethernet cable to its WAN port. Can I then connect the other end to a Netgear DG834G modem/router so that it could access the internet through the DG834Gs modem?

reason I ask if I can connect it to the DG834G model is because my old modem/router is the DG834G and want to make sure it will work.

Thanks.
Message 89 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Some people will argue that perhaps using a separate Modem will use additional electricity and adds additional issues in their infrastructure.

Whilst this is true, the amount of electric that both the Modem and router use is not that substantial.

As for which router, that will in part depend on what you want to get from it.

The WiFi specs are slightly different, but you would be better off looking at the whole package:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/DGND4000.aspx#

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/WNDR4500.aspx#

Take a look at their respective sections within this forum:

http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116

http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122

I have found the GUI on the WNDR3800 very different from the DGND3700. Whilst it is relatively easy to navigate, it does take a little getting used to at first after years of using the old GUI style. Both the 4000 & 4500 have the same interface as the WNDR3800.
Message 90 of 287
XMB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased a DGND3700 and before opening it up I am glad I found this forum! On reading all the issues and lack of support from Netgear I will be taking it back for a refund!

I think I will be going the separate dsl modem and router path but will be looking at an Apple Airport extreme and DSL modem for a more reliable solution!
Message 91 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

The support from Netgear has been excellent, just not on this forum. However through the openness of many on this forum, issues have been identified and this has helped many to resolve/identify them.

Many others have purchased and installed this router and haven't experienced the same issues myself and others on this forum have.

Specific areas where there have been problems, such as slower ADSL connections, have been tackled and sadly not all cured.

The Airport Extreme is another router which supports external drive, 1Gbit LAN and both 2.4 & 5 GHz WiFi. A lot of people do like it, so I am not knocking your choice.

My past few days with the WNDR3800 have been good and nothing like the DGND3700.
Message 92 of 287
MrChris1985
Aspirant

Having read this post, and still battling with intermittent internet outages even though the wireless is connected and strong (of which I thought were just new-configuration bugs) I think I might take my DGND3700 back to PC World and try to get a refund.

I wouldn't be as bothered if the router hadn't cost over £100 - for that money I want something that is stable and future proof for at least a couple of years!

Thanks for the heads up!
Message 93 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Have heard that v2 will not be released until around December this year...surprising given that the product already appears on their website!

Does anyone have any other date information re. this?

Cheers

Balders
Message 94 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

It was several months before the DGND3700 became available on the shelves here in the UK after the original announcement. December does appear to be a much longer time span though.
Message 95 of 287
arobertson676
Novice

The DGND3700 has gone out of stock from Amazon (directly) which is unusual since they are hardly ever out of stock.

Either a coincidence or they are getting the DGND3700v2 in.

NETGEAR support did tell me that it was available now, but that might be only in the USA.
Message 96 of 287
Teece
Aspirant

I registered today in order that I could contribute to this thread, as I have recently returned ther DGND3700 back to PC World after repeatedly experiencing ADSL line drops at intermittent times.

What is surprising is that the Netgear links to the Data Sheet for this model points to the version 2 model so it should have been safe to assume that their stockiest listed should have the version 2 model, but this is not the case.

Email correspondence with Netgear has pointed to the newer version being released by the end of the 2nd quarter 2012, even in though my first call to the support line technician stated that the product was released and I should check the store for a box with DGND3700v2 on the box.

I generally like this router and the features and think I will wait until either the DGND3700v2 or the DGND4000 have been released with IPV6.
Message 97 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

My suspicion is that the actual available date is most probably sometime in Q3 2012 as they are most likely waiting to get rid of as many v1s as they can so as not to have to write too many off (and to be fair the v1 does work for some people).

Will just have to keep an eye out on the online sites for the appearance of v2.
Message 98 of 287
arobertson676
Novice

I'd keep checking Amazon, as they'll most likely get it first.
Message 99 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

Of course there is the danger that someone will attempt to sell the v2 as just a DGND3700 and not appreciate the difference. If you search for the DGND3300 or DM111P you'll only see the model named, not the version number.

With this in mind, I would recommend that anyone reading this ask BEFORE they attempt to purchase the v2.
Message 100 of 287
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7