Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New firmware with built in Torrent Client

w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: New firmware with built in Torrent Client

@richud,
Now you've made me dangerous. I was poking around in the files and I think I found the conf file for DHCP;

~ # cat /tmp/udhcpd.conf
pidfile /tmp/udhcpd.pid
start 192.168.0.2
end 192.168.0.32
interface br0
remaining yes
lease_file /tmp/udhcpd.leases
option subnet 255.255.255.0
option router 192.168.0.1
option dns 192.168.0.1
option lease 86400
option wins
option domain
~ #

I then found this file that has the reservations that I have set;

~ # cat /tmp/udhcpd_resrv.conf
192.168.0.32 192.168.0.14 192.168.0.13
00:1c:c4:ac:c6:ed 00:23:8b:7a:27:45 00:21:6b:a8:c2:c8
~ #

Then looking at some udhcpd.conf example stuff I found on the internet I was wondering if the address reservations should actually be in the udhcpd.conf file in the form of;

static_lease 00:1c:c4:ac:c6:ed 192.168.0.32
static_lease 00:23:8b:7a:27:45 192.168.0.14
static_lease 00:21:6b:a8:c2:c8 192.168.0.13

I'll admit that the above is just guessing on my part from what I could find in the router files and what I could find on udhcpd.conf on the internet. I'm not a Linux/unix person so my guessing could be totally off the mark.

Thanks, W3
Message 51 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

w3@ yes exactly right, the _resv file is how the old version of udhcpd copes with them, the newer one uses the static_lease lines in the main config...which should be populated on bootup from a new bit of code in /etc/init.d/rcS Could you kindly enter both of these commands (below) and paste the result, they return the value from the nvram which is what the startup script rcS looks at to add the static_lease lines, that is apparently not working for you. param get dhcp_resrv_ip param get dhcp_resrv_mac Specifically you should get something like this (ending up with the first lease, as this bit goes in a loop in the actual script) ~ # ips=$(param get dhcp_resrv_ip) ~ # macs=$(param get dhcp_resrv_mac) ~ # echo $ips ; echo $macs 192.168.0.10 192.168.0.15 90:e6:ba:2f:34:23 00:1c:c0:6d:ab:e5 ~ # ip=${ips%% *} ; mac=${macs%% *} ~ # echo $ip ; echo $mac 192.168.0.10 90:e6:ba:2f:34:23 I just tested manually entering what your NVRAM should show from what you put in your post and it worked , hmmm (Incidently your busybox build will be different as I did another firmware to test if the kernel modules in their beta firmware were newer, but they arent)
Message 52 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud, Before I read your reply I did a full reinstall of the 0409 firmware, did a full reset on the router and rekeyed my full setup from scratch. When all done I rebooted the router and now all appears to be working again. I did go ahead and enter all your commands along with listing out udhcpd.conf and the static lease entries were in .conf before I did your command sequence. The output from the last echo was blank lines.

~ # cat /tmp/udhcpd.conf
pidfile /tmp/udhcpd.pid
start 192.168.0.2
end 192.168.0.64
interface br0
remaining yes
lease_file /tmp/udhcpd.leases
option subnet 255.255.255.0
option router 192.168.0.1
option dns 192.168.0.1
option lease 86400
option wins
option domain
static_lease 90:e6:ba:cd:f8:31 192.168.0.16
static_lease 00:21:5a:b3:bb:13 192.168.0.15
static_lease 00:23:8b:7a:27:45 192.168.0.14
static_lease 00:21:6b:a8:c2:c8 192.168.0.3
~ # param get dhcp_resrv_ip
192.168.0.16 192.168.0.15 192.168.0.14 192.168.0.3
~ # param get dhcp_resrv_mac
90:e6:ba:cd:f8:31 00:21:5a:b3:bb:13 00:23:8b:7a:27:45 00:21:6b:a8:c2:c8
~ # ips=$(param get dhcp_resrv_ip)
~ # macs=$(param get dhcp_resrv_mac)
~ # echo $ips ; echo $macs
192.168.0.16 192.168.0.15 192.168.0.14 192.168.0.3
90:e6:ba:cd:f8:31 00:21:5a:b3:bb:13 00:23:8b:7a:27:45 00:21:6b:a8:c2:c8
~ # ip=${ips%%*} ; mac=${macs%%*}
~ # echo $ip ; echo $mac

~ #
Message 53 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Oh, I forgot to thank you for confirming what I was thinking for the udhcpd.conf file. If it flakes out again I'll do your command sequence and post the results.
Message 54 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud, I think I've found the problem and I think it's me! I've found that changing most any setting in the router (at least any setting that causes the internet connection to be refreshed) will cause the static_lease entries in udhcpd.conf to be lost, eg; uncheck UPnP and Apply. A reboot of the router will cause the static_lease entries to be refreshed in the udhcpd.conf file. The static lease entries are not lost if the DSL connection is lost (I unplugged / replugged the DSL to verify this). I now use the "cat/tmp/udhcpd.conf" when I change anything to see if I need to reboot to preserve my static leases. Too bad your rcS script isn't invoked each time a event occurs that causes the internet connection to be refreshed. At least I now know how I was shooting myself in the foot! Again, thanks for your work!
Message 55 of 1,478
w3wilkes
Prodigy

@richud, The more I think about this I was wondering if it's possible to detect when a change is made like UPnP on/off, Set time zone or any of these changes that causes the udhcpd.conf file to be refreshed. If so, might as well invoke a full router reboot so that static leases won't be lost. The reason is that it also appears that all device connections are refreshed which results in the static lease devices (that are not hard coded with a fixed IP in the device) getting a different IP and then the router will be booted anyway to correct. W3
Message 56 of 1,478
robi69
Aspirant

@richud
The firmware perform very well.
Just a question:
Why the filenames in the minidlna clients (I try with Samsung TV and android phone ) are truncated ?

and then one wish:

May you implement a schedule (via cron / crontab?) to stop and start the wifi signal?

Thanks
Message 57 of 1,478
KorII
Aspirant

I'm asking myself if is possible to add a print server function on simple printer support to this firmware (to the dgnd3700 V1)

Sorry for my bad english, if you can/want tell me what i have to improve/ my mistakes:)
Message 58 of 1,478
robi69
Aspirant

The problem of the filename truncated was because my HD was formatted FAT32.
Now it is in NTFS and the names are correct but I have another
problem, after a bit of time I can no longer see
files from clients. Any idea?
Is there a process rescan of filesystem ?
Message 59 of 1,478
darsa
Tutor

VDSL with new firmware

Hi everybody,
I bought this modem specially to use with my VDSL service, unfortunately VDSL support is dropped after the initial release. This firmware comes with the auto option, even I choose VDSL , after restart it goes back to auto, but any kind of ADSL may be selected. MY question is , is it possible a firmware version with VDSL support. I think it is required the relevant modem firmware, may be from the 3800B model which has the same hardware with VDSL support.

Previously I opened a ticket that . Netgear refuses to talk about that. What a shame to Netgear to charge people for a feature that doesn't exist . in the meantime I bought a Linksys. I am very happy with it.

Regards,
Jack
Message 60 of 1,478
Biker
Aspirant

Hi all 🙂

I just wanted to register so I could pop in here and say *many* *thanks* to richud for giving us this customised firmware release...

With the ADSL SNR Margin adjuster alone I increased my download speed by 2mb!

And as for the rest of the new features well.. what a bonus 😄

*happy dance*

Regards,

Biker

Ps. any chance of some more adjustment options between -5.5dB and -9dB at some point?

Mine is looking like -6dB to -6.5dB would be optimal...
Message 61 of 1,478
robi69
Aspirant

I tried to use minidlna with a HD NTFS formatted bat
in the first case minidlna died after some minutes (see log.txt) and then another test died after 12 hours (see log2.txt).
A this point i tried to use a HD FAT32 formatted. I seen that this HD is mounted as msdos. Then I unmounted the HD and remounted as vfat and the problem of truncated filename was solved.
Question: It's possible to mount with vfat type a FATXX filesystems?
Other ideas?

Ciao
Message 62 of 1,478
gemini
Aspirant

Message 63 of 1,478
teros
Aspirant

Hey guys has anyone got an issue when using "large torrents" basically every time i start a torrent over say 50GB (star trek original & next gen) router disconnects from the net with the little red light on connected and i have to reboot...
Message 64 of 1,478
teros
Aspirant

Hey guys has anyone got an issue when using "large torrents" basically every time i start a torrent over say 50GB (star trek original & next gen) router disconnects from the net with the little red light on connected and i have to reboot...
Message 65 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@KorII, nope sorry, it is too large a job for just me in my spare time.
@darsa, I have no access to VDSL, but if I ever do, I may have a play at getting it to work.
@Biker, thanks!, glad it is of use to someone.
@robi69, I think a 'normally' formatted FAT32 drive should mount as vfat, was it definitely 'normal'?
@gemini, those posts are complete rubbish, ignore them
@teros, if you can PM me some links I will try and see what happens for me, I think the largest I have done on it is probably ~15Gb
Message 66 of 1,478
robi69
Aspirant

@richud
Sorry, but what do you mean for "normal" FAT32?

Regards
Message 67 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@robi: I meant as in it had been formatted on something modern (not using mkfs on old router) and not had other filesystem remnants on it or partition tables etc, anyway I just reproduced the problem so that doesn't matter. It's easy to fix and in fact now I look I broke it myself fixing ntfs , vfat just needs putting back in /etc/filesystems.
Someone had a problem with 50Gb torrents so I will try and look into that and then sort both at same time, assuming I can reproduce and/or fix it too.
Message 68 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@teros, have tried the 48Gb 'Star Trek all 11 films' & the 124Gb one and both ok.. are you using a drive formatted ext3 ?
Message 69 of 1,478
teros
Aspirant

Hey mate yep ext3

/dev/sda1 /media/1.42.6-3211 ext3 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 0

The total size is 64.9 GB http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/6129103 currently i've had to limit the download in transmission to season so grab all season 1 then all season 2....

If would help i can provide http:// to my router as it's externally accessible... Have also found that if i have multiple torrents going at the same time if they are large like this same thing happens...Red light no internet until i physically reboot the box.
Message 70 of 1,478
mistrzmalarstwa
Aspirant

samba
nfsd
minidlna
transmission

possible to select startup (*) but Live always going back to (*)Stopped on these services? why and how to diagnose it?
Message 71 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@teros, I tested that torrent for 31 hours without a problem (with default settings) on a new/cleanly ext3 formatted drive. [stopped test at this point as needed to swap drives to watch something] so don't think anything is odd about this torrent in particular, it does have a lot of parts to it though which I guess adds to processing load.

In my early testing the router [with original firmware] it would always drop line when having 100% cpu usage for more than a few seconds , then if the load continued, drop line a few more times before finally crashing completely.
e.g. Using a drive formatted ntfs, having lots of media on it, and minidlna scanning it, would more often than not cause this to happen as they are both cpu hogs - if you look at the forum I think there are many posts about it.

In this firmware most everything non-critical is set with 'nice' to run at a lower priority to alleviate this happening as much as possible.

This firmware is more (a lot) robust than the original in this respect, and since only using ext3 formatted drives I haven't manage to make it drop line/crash since.

Are you running other torrents at the same time and/or have massive bandwidth?
Is your line prone to dropping?

-more torrent 'speed' Or 'connections' Or 'active' torrents will increase cpu load and increase chance of line drop leading to a final crash.
-line dropping seems to also start it on the road to a final crash.

If you can be bothered you could ssh into router and watch 'top' to see if its going near 100% cpu usage much and/or keep an eye on the /var/log/messages to see if pppd is going up and down.
Message 72 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@robi69

This firmware below has vfat as default mount again, and I updated miniDLNA (now called ReadyMedia) to 1.1.0 just for good measure.

https://mega.co.nz/#!YdpETBSD!FrCQfniavelHkmFEMMQ58XdKbKZkL93dYBvj-WUpmlc
Message 73 of 1,478
robi69
Aspirant

I loaded the new firmware and now the hd is mounted in vfat
Message 74 of 1,478
richud
Apprentice

@mistrzmalarstwa they wont run without an attached/formatted USB drive of some sort present.
Transmissionbt wont run without a 'transmissionbt' folder in the root of the device also [otherwise you'd end up with it writing to anything you inserted which you probably don't want]

@robi: good 🙂

If anyone wants to build there own I have pretty much documented it all now, this is main link below, goto 'See Also' at the bottom for other pages about building etc.

http://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Transmission_Firmware
Message 75 of 1,478
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7