Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900Wifi VDSL/ADSL D7000v2 - support for SOS and ROC functions or SRA

pugnacious
Aspirant

Nighthawk AC1900Wifi VDSL/ADSL D7000v2 - support for SOS and ROC functions or SRA

We live in Australia.

We have recently been notified that nbn will be implementing new functionality on its Fibre to the Node/Building (FTTN/B) technology to improve the stability of our internet connection by preventing dropouts due to line noise, ensuring a more reliable service.

The changes will require our connected VDSL modem to support the Save Our Showtime (SOS) and Robust Overhead Channel (ROC) functions or Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) .

We have been advised that our VDSL modem doesn't support these functions but a firmware update may make our modem compatible.

Does anyone know whether there have been any firmware updates to support these functions, or whether any updates are planned within the next few weeks?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC1900Wifi VDSL/ADSL D7000v2 - support for SOS and ROC functions or SRA

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the DSL Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with DSL modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

You might review the release notes for your model modem on NG download site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 9

Re: Nighthawk AC1900Wifi VDSL/ADSL D7000v2 - support for SOS and ROC functions or SRA

@pugnacious wrote:

We have been advised that our VDSL modem doesn't support these functions but a firmware update may make our modem compatible.

No need to pay any attention to time wasting, content free, "go away" messages, just look at earlier contributions on this topic:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – NBN SOS

As you will see, this is  not a new topic. There has been plenty of feedback on the theme.

Does anyone know whether there have been any firmware updates to support these functions, or whether any updates are planned within the next few weeks?

Don't hold your breath looking for new firmware. Netgear and many other brands have all but given up on the DSL modem market. In any case, it doesn't provide advance warning of new releases.

If you can find a local brand of basic modem only device that works on your Internet service, you could reuse your old D7000v2 modem/router in router only  mode, behind a new modem/

Message 3 of 9
w3wilkes
Prodigy

There have actually been a couple of firmware updates for the D7000v2 that can be found here

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000v2.aspx#download

with the most recent .76 being around Nov 2021 and .74 was earlier in the summer. Don't know what they did other than some fixes - pretty scetchy release notes.

Message 4 of 9

A quick scan of Googleland shows that this question has cropped up in relation to many brands of DSL modems.

As in other things NBN and Oz, a good place to tap into local knowledge seems to be:

Whirlpool Forums

Message 5 of 9
Mastertatts
Aspirant

Have you gotten an answer for this issue yet?

I've got the same model and the same problem, no support from Netgear tells me to buy another modem from another company!

Message 6 of 9

@Mastertatts wrote:

Have you gotten an answer for this issue yet?

I've got the same model and the same problem, no support from Netgear tells me to buy another modem from another company!

Not  quite sure which "issue" you want fixed, general or specific, but here are some messages about the broader SOS NBN thing:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – NBN SOS

This lists devices that Netgear claims to be compatible:

Re: D7800 SOS/ROC NBN Updates - NETGEAR Communities

Message 7 of 9
pugnacious
Aspirant

I haven't got one that helped me. I have purchased a new modem through my internet provider, Mates. They pre-configured it. Was a breezy to swap over to the new modem and I haven't had a drop out in the 4 days since I swapped over. Used to get dropouts once or twice or 3 times on most days. The new modem is a Tp-Link Archer VR1600v

Message 8 of 9

Sounds like a good move.

NBN seems to be sent to try you all down under. It is playing around with DSL technology just when other countries are writing its obituary, prompting hardware makers to abandon the modem market.

I am sure that ISPs in Oz have there reasons for tweaking DSL technology but it wouldn't surprise me if they did this without consulting the people who make network devices.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7