Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

See the screenshot I've attached above.
It says Channel Auto (3)
Message 527 of 595
loftyendgame
Guide

i have had problems since christmas, but things have improved.z 

at christmas, 2.5GHz became very flaky and all android devices had trouble connecting on 2.5GHz. i enabled the 2.5GHz.  my Moto G Play phone still cannot connect but other android devices can. my phone  it gets stuck with 'Authenticating'. i have tried deleting the connection on the phone and redefining. no good. it is on the latest google play services. 

the guest network is still working perfectly and my phone is the only one to have problems. i'm just going to leave the guest network on until i get another phone. (fwiw, this phone does not have 5GHz.)

i noticed this discussion about channels...  i have the router set to Auto and it was using channel 3. in this discussion i see the suggestion that that cannot happen. i set to channel 1, rebooted... still on 1. i set back to auto, rebooted, now on 2.

there is not much in the way of other networks around here. usually i see just one other network, and that is currently using channels 1,6,11. so it makes sense to me that the router has chosen something other than 1,6,11.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 528 of 595
loftyendgame
Guide

well the article was interesting.

but i can't see that i need to do anything. my router automatically chose channel 2, even though 'Auto' is set and 'Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence' is selected.

currently my wifi analyser shows no other networks. (fwiw, my android phone still has an authentication problem even when there is no other network)

lots of other notes in this thread say select 'Auto' and 'Enable 20/40 MHz coexistence'. i have done that. i don't notice any performance problems. why should i care?

Message 529 of 595
loftyendgame
Guide

i changed the setting to channel 3, rebooted. i had channel 3 but the wifi analyser showed 20MHz. i changed to auto and rebooted.... and was back at channel 2.

i'm not going to fight this. life is too short. and only one device is using this network. all the others are using 5GHz.

fwiw, the Moto G Play is a slow phone... i doubt that i'd notice any difference no matter what the speed.

thanks for the help and patience.

Message 530 of 595
IT9MBZ
Aspirant

As show in attached file, my router have 190 hours of uptime.
The WiFi interfaces have 75 hours uf uptime because I changed the channels.

For these reasons, I think that the issue is resolved.

No drop out of any device un 2,4GHz band.

On 2,4GHz I have the following devices:
A Chromecast;
3 webcams;
a couple of Android smartphone.

Hope that all of you have the same situations.

A couple of mounth are long time to resolve an issue.
But at the end, the trouble are fixed.

Have a good life!

Message 531 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Trouble isn't fixed! I'm still rebooting 1-2 times a day
Message 532 of 595
IT9MBZ
Aspirant

@Tomhurstwrote:
Trouble isn't fixed! I'm still rebooting 1-2 times a day

Readed your previous posts.

When I had the issue, I could reach my router through ethernet.

I think that your trouble have a different origin.

Do you still can't connect to router through ethernet during the 2,4GHz fall down?

Message 533 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Yeah everything disconnects and says authentication error when trying to reconnect. This is on 2.4 and 5. And then ethernet doesn't work either.
Basically the whole router is dying 1-2 times a day now!
Message 534 of 595

As @IT9MBZ suggests, looks like you have a different issue.

Is your D7000 still in warranty? If so, I'd start the returns process.

If you are looking for further guidance here, if you haven't done that already you might do better to start a new discussion that gets you away from the long running 2.4 GHz problem. That's only part of your problem.

Message 535 of 595
Tomhurst
Apprentice

Yeah might be best... Not in warranty so netgear are unlikely to help
Message 536 of 595

I'd have a go at starting a new conversatioin. This one started in November and ran out of steam when Netgear delivered new firmware and Google fixed Chromecast.

By all means mention the 2.4 GHz thing, but make it clear that it isn't the Chromecast bug that has hit you, more a total meltdown  of the D7000.

Message 537 of 595
nscolli
Apprentice

@IT9MBZ
wrote:

As show in attached file, my router have 190 hours of uptime.
The WiFi interfaces have 75 hours uf uptime because I changed the channels.

For these reasons, I think that the issue is resolved.

No drop out of any device un 2,4GHz band.

On 2,4GHz I have the following devices:
A Chromecast;
3 webcams;
a couple of Android smartphone.

Hope that all of you have the same situations.

A couple of mounth are long time to resolve an issue.
But at the end, the trouble are fixed.

Have a good life!

@IT9MBZ

I, too, have had a successful run with V64. I have two Chromecasts, one Google Home Mini and an android phone. All the Google devices now have the latest preview FW/Software.

The D7000 V1 has had no dropouts or authentication errors in second test period from 10:50 on 10 Feb 2018 giving 15 days successful running (first test period 10 days 10 hours also with no dropouts or authentication errors). So in total that is nearly a month trouble free.

Message 538 of 595
RME9632
Tutor

596 posts and no one have notice tha all the problems of this unit the 2.4ghz the dropouts the crashes all are related to OVERHEATING. To all of you out there try this, raise the unit about 1 or 2 inches from the ground with some feets and try again. Mine is running about 9 days like this and works flawless. I had all of these problems before that trick with the feets
Message 539 of 595

@RME9632 wrote:
596 posts and no one have notice tha all the problems of this unit the 2.4ghz the dropouts the crashes all are related to OVERHEATING.

Would that it were that simple.

There was one report elsewhere about a completely different device, where someone found that it was unwise to put it on a carpet. But for most people overheating had nothing to do with the problems they experienced. It was down to Chromecast and Android for a lot of people.

Glad it worked out for you, but I would still ensure that your D7000 is up to date with the latest firmware. That is what fixed many of these problems.

Message 540 of 595
johnmcl7
Apprentice

@RME9632wrote:
596 posts and no one have notice tha all the problems of this unit the 2.4ghz the dropouts the crashes all are related to OVERHEATING. To all of you out there try this, raise the unit about 1 or 2 inches from the ground with some feets and try again. Mine is running about 9 days like this and works flawless. I had all of these problems before that trick with the feets

You are incorrect, overheating was brought up multiple times in this thread, tested and while some found it helped their router it wasn't the general cause of the 2.4Ghz issues.  The primary reason (but not the only reason) for specific 2.4Ghz dropouts was Android devices hammering the router with traffic and like many on this thread, the issues stopped the moment Google patched their devices. 

Message 541 of 595
RME9632
Tutor

After further investigation in more depth i think john has a point there. The 2.4ghz problem maybe is not only overheating becuse even with the rooter completely cool to touch today i had a crash the unit drops lan and wifi and even the web UI from 192.168.0.1 was not reachable, the unit was lockup completely, this hapend after 10 days of running perfect and today was the first day i enable the 2.4ghz wifi and connect my android phone for about 5 hours and then boom here comes the crash/lockup. Now i am in sure that if i run the d7000v2 only wired the crash wont hapend again. I have done this for about 10 days wired all the devices 3 laprop and 2 ps4 and was flawless.
Message 542 of 595
RME9632
Tutor

When i said only wired i mean only wired with the wifi completely disable from the webui all the wifi radios set to off the 2.4 and the 5 ghz. This is the one and only problem i have with the d7000v2 the crash/lockup after a device connects wireless after a couple of hours. The d7000v2 when run wired on the other hand is a great unit with good performance and stable i am in vdsl 60/5 on fttc with ote here in greece
Message 543 of 595
Jovian
Star

I posted my problem in this thread in November. Didn't manage to get a solution and decided to get it replaced. Netgear gave me a D7000v2 and that didn't fix anything. Have had some good days but mostly the WiFi issues are still there. I guess people have just given up because of how long this problem has been going on for. It's so sad that this router used to work flawlessly before last year and now it's a piece of junk. Oh well.
Message 544 of 595
farthing
Aspirant

I've been running firmware version V1.0.1.60_1.0.1 since it came out. I haven't any of the WiFi networks drop out in well over a month or more now.

There were two other changes in the house as well, one Galaxy Note 4 was switched to an iPhone X and I replaced my S7 with an S9. In case anyone cares or, thinks it matters

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 545 of 595
omatsei
Aspirant

I've had this problem since mid-2017. Never figured it out... I've been limping through by using my other wifi router (which also sucks), and rebooting the D7000 every few days or switching to the opposite band when needed. I was hoping to wait until the 802.11ax routers were available, but I don't know if I can wait any more. 

This is my first Netgear product. Are they all this bad? If I buy a replacement router now, it won't be a Netgear, but I don't know if I should avoid their stuff forever, or just this model...?

Message 546 of 595
omatsei
Aspirant

Are you serious? I thought it was pretty obvious... but if you must, Purpose #1 of my post was to add another voice to the growing chorus of people with similar problems, hoping that Netgear (or another community member) might have a suggestion on how to fix it. Purpose #2 was to ask, as I did (which you can see from the use of "question marks"), if problems like this were common to all Netgear products, or if it was just this model. 

Since you asked, what is the purpose of YOUR post, which asked the purpose of mine?

Message 547 of 595

@omatsei wrote:

Since you asked, what is the purpose of YOUR post, which asked the purpose of mine?

People usually turn up here seeking help and advice. But it isn't always clear what they are asking, if anything.

When a message lacks any obvious question that the volunteers who try to provide that help and advice can follow up, the natural response is to see it the person who posted the message wants help and to clarify their question.

Now that you have made it clear that your visit was intended to add to the list of aggrieved users, we can safely move on to other topics.

Remember, this place is all about problems. People who have no issues simply won't turn up here. The best selling hardware will naturally evoke more queries.

You will see the same pattern on all support sites.

Message 548 of 595
Jovian
Star

Hi, thanks for trying to help. These are the devices connected.

2 amazon fire TVs, Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, Google home, PS4, Smart Plug, 3 Windows PCs, Printer, 3 smart lights, and 4 Android phones. 

I also have a Netgear wifi extender but I don't have that connected at the moment since it doesn't work very well. It's way too slow. 

Not sure how accurate those statistics are because I just had to reset the router because the internet just stopped working randomly (again). 

Message 549 of 595
GlennD
Tutor

It would be nice if everyone who posts here on the D7000 blog would indicate what firmware release they are on and what ISP they are connected to. Would makes this blog it a little more comprehensive. 

Message 550 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7