Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4ghz issue, disconnecting

johnmcl7
Apprentice

I did actually buy my D7000 from Currys as well as they're usually good for returns (I'm always worried with Amazon they'll block the account) but while I can find the box, I cannot find the receipt which isn't like me so I'm stuck.  I'm leaning towards buying a BT two disc mesh wifi system to get me going for now as the router works fine otherwise and this issue is increasingly frustrating, it only seems to last a few hours now rather than days before it stops working on 2.4Ghz.

Message 51 of 97
tasvo65
Guide

Same here,  all devices they work on 2.5 Ghz  are disconnected and i have to reboot the router to connect them to the my home network. They keep connected about two days and after this i have the same issue.I hope that is firmware issue , i 'm waiting for a update

Message 52 of 97
yalson
Star

I am currently going to see if a daily overnight switch off of the 2.4GHz band Wifi helps with the issue. I am currently downgraded to the .48 firmware and am still seeing the issue.

Please all tweet (and keep tweeting) to Netgear to keep this issue in the limelight. Hopefully we will get some response at some point.

Message 53 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Mines been sat in its box for a couple of weeks now, got fed up of it
Message 54 of 97
yalson
Star

Proactive switch on/off hasn't worked 😞

Netgear do now appear to be working on this.
Message 55 of 97
yalson
Star

Message 56 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Thanks, I've emailed them
Message 57 of 97
tasvo65
Guide

I've also sent a e-mail

Message 58 of 97
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We understand that some customer may be experiencing difficulty remaining connected to the 2.4GHz band of their D7000 router. NETGEAR is aware some customers are experiencing this. We are continuing to investigate this to determine root cause and provide a solution. However, from reviewing the information to date we have some general directions but need your assistance to find the absolute cause. To that end, If you are experiencing this difficulty and are willing to work with NETGEAR to help troubleshoot the connection, we would like to work with you.

What to expect if you choose to work with NETGEAR may require some or all of the following:

• NETGEAR will need to load software on your computer (Teamviewer)
  • The process could potentially than an hour or more
  • You will need to be in front of your computer for the duration of the testing
  • You will need to provide personal information such as name, phone number, etc.
  • Current firmware version
  • Other firmware versions tested
  • Hardware version
  • Detailed problem description
  • Can the issue be reproduced
  • Error messages or screenshots
  • Was the unit replaced
  • Network diagram/topology
  • Configuration files
  • Configuration’s LAN IP, username, and password
  • List of wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz band
  • Description of Environment (e.g. – distances, floors, brick walls, etc.)
  • How often the disconnects happen
  • Have you tried connecting devices at a closer range (i.e 6 feet)?
  • Do all the devices on the band disconnect at the same time
  • Are you having disconnects on the 5GHz band
  • What wireless channels have you tried
  • Netstumbler/inSSIDer (iStumbler, if Mac OS X) screenshot(s) (MUST be included in all escalations): (file name) Screenshots should show all channels)
  • Packet captures (Wireshark) included: (file name) (should capture when issue happens)
  • When did issue start to occur? After 6months? After a firmware upgrade? Etc.
  • Is the device running hot?
  • Have you tried resetting the unit to factory default?
  • Do you have chromecast? if so what version are you running?

If you still interesting in working with us please email netgeardslsupport@netgear.com as well need to get your personal contact information. If you prefer not to troubleshoot with us at the time, we will provide updates to this community conversation as they become available.

Thanks and we look forward to help resolving these difficulties for you and the entire NETGEAR community.

Message 59 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

I was just about to paste all this from an email to see if anyone else got it? It's a bit much to ask for all that info, I understand that you want to resolve the issue but I don't have time to sit there and gather all that info and don't see why I should to be honest, I didn't realise that buying a Netgear router would be such a pain in the back side
Message 60 of 97
Pausty
Star

Yeah I got that email too. I appreciate that they have acknowledged the problem, but in my case I went and bought a different brand modem as I lost all faith in this brand.
Netgear to there credit did just send me a brand new replacement modem but it is exact same model so not worth the headache of testing it.
Message 61 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

What's the difference between the d7000 and the d7000 V2? I want a replacement sending but I don't want the same thing to happen again, my little tplink is doing fine with the same amount of devices attached, the coverage is slightly worse but it still does the job and only cost £30
Message 62 of 97
Pausty
Star

Yeah I'm not sure. Apparently the v2 model is ok. They sent me new one but can't tell if its v2 without opening packaging which I don't want to do as I am selling it. Lost all faith in this model fuel stop
Message 63 of 97
ezytalk
Star

You are kidding... right? You expect the consumer to go through all that sh#t because you can't figure out what the problem is???? I am up to my 4th replacement within 12 months and still the new unit has wireless problems - now with 5Ghz. My lengthy conversation with Netgear technical yesterday left me feeling as though they haven't a clue what is wrong. The unit they replaced has an older serial number than the unit I am returning. When questioned, he said just unpack the new supplied unit and use it. Under Australian Consumer Law, if a product does not perform as stated, it must be returned for a full refund..... I think 4 units is enough.... quite clearly the product DOES NOT perform as it should. The Netgear agent had to tell me that it is not Netgear's policy to refund money - really???? If you want to sell your products into Australia, make sure that your company abides by the Australian Consumer Laws. And one would think that Netgear would just give me my money back to make me go away and stop writing about the bad experiences I have had with this product........ Go figure! NETGEAR, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

@DarrenM wrote:

We understand that some customer may be experiencing difficulty remaining connected to the 2.4GHz band of their D7000 router. NETGEAR is aware some customers are experiencing this. We are continuing to investigate this to determine root cause and provide a solution. However, from reviewing the information to date we have some general directions but need your assistance to find the absolute cause. To that end, If you are experiencing this difficulty and are willing to work with NETGEAR to help troubleshoot the connection, we would like to work with you.

What to expect if you choose to work with NETGEAR may require some or all of the following:

• NETGEAR will need to load software on your computer (Teamviewer)
  • The process could potentially than an hour or more
  • You will need to be in front of your computer for the duration of the testing
  • You will need to provide personal information such as name, phone number, etc.
  • Current firmware version
  • Other firmware versions tested
  • Hardware version
  • Detailed problem description
  • Can the issue be reproduced
  • Error messages or screenshots
  • Was the unit replaced
  • Network diagram/topology
  • Configuration files
  • Configuration’s LAN IP, username, and password
  • List of wireless devices connected to the 2.4GHz band
  • Description of Environment (e.g. – distances, floors, brick walls, etc.)
  • How often the disconnects happen
  • Have you tried connecting devices at a closer range (i.e 6 feet)?
  • Do all the devices on the band disconnect at the same time
  • Are you having disconnects on the 5GHz band
  • What wireless channels have you tried
  • Netstumbler/inSSIDer (iStumbler, if Mac OS X) screenshot(s) (MUST be included in all escalations): (file name) Screenshots should show all channels)
  • Packet captures (Wireshark) included: (file name) (should capture when issue happens)
  • When did issue start to occur? After 6months? After a firmware upgrade? Etc.
  • Is the device running hot?
  • Have you tried resetting the unit to factory default?
  • Do you have chromecast? if so what version are you running?

If you still interesting in working with us please email netgeardslsupport@netgear.com as well need to get your personal contact information. If you prefer not to troubleshoot with us at the time, we will provide updates to this community conversation as they become available.

Thanks and we look forward to help resolving these difficulties for you and the entire NETGEAR community.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 64 of 97
ezytalk
Star

You know, I asked exactly the same question to Netgear Technical yesterday - and I didn't get a straight answer.... so Netgear, would you like to explain the difference so that others here know what you have done......... full disclosure is a wonderful thing for a company to participate in.
Message 65 of 97
ezytalk
Star

You know, I asked exactly the same question to Netgear Technical yesterday - and I didn't get a straight answer.... so Netgear, would you like to explain the difference so that others here know what you have done......... full disclosure is a wonderful thing for a company to participate in.
Message 66 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

Why don't you just plug one of your own d7000's in and wait 10 mins, I'm sure it will break down in front of you and you can collect the data yourself, why should we go through all that to show you how one of your own products are failing, you built the things so you should know them inside out, my tplink is in the exact same environment in the exact same spot and works fine, what do I get for sitting there for hours doing tests? Maybe a working router? A Blue Peter Badge? Compensation? I can't get a refund because it was purchased from eBay so I've spent £130 for a lump of useless plastic that's sat in a box gathering dust 👍👍
Message 67 of 97
Pausty
Star

Netgear keep digging there hole deeper on this issue.
Message 68 of 97
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We can and do find that when customers run into difficulties they can wrongly assume that another customer with similar symptoms has the same difficulty when the cause/trigger can turn out to be quite different. We like to keep an open mind and not jump to assuming things must be the same.

It's also invaluable to get feedback as to what impact changes have in a range of environments. A fix for one difficulty may not make any difference with another.

We appreciate the help from those who are working with us.

Message 69 of 97
dRbGear
Apprentice

I fully understand what you are saying but we are all having the same issue, in different countries, in different environments with different devices connected, I look forward to seeing what the cause is but I hope you don't turn round and say it's caused by something we are doing
Message 70 of 97
ezytalk
Star

And yet here we are, 12 months on and no fix!
Message 71 of 97

@dRbGear wrote:
What's the difference between the d7000 and the d7000 V2?

From what I read here, different chipsets. V1 = Broadcom. V2 = Intel.

Message 72 of 97
yalson
Star

.57 firmware is being User Tested at the moment.
Message 73 of 97
Pausty
Star

Are you confident it is a software issue and not a hardware issue?
Message 74 of 97
ezytalk
Star

I really do question another firmware update to fix the issue. If it were that simple, then why have we been struggling with this model for well over 12 months? I would have thought that a firmware should have fixed this long ago. I am not convinced.
Message 75 of 97
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7