Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 Router/DSL Modem - Can't log in after power outage

hyperhiker
Aspirant

Nighthawk D7000 Router/DSL Modem - Can't log in after power outage

I can't log in after a power outage. I can go through password recovery using the serial number and security questions. It regurgitates the same sign on and password. Typing it in or copy and paste; both don't work. Tried different browsers and different devices (windows laptop and android (chrome) phone) - same result.

This is the seond time this has happened (I did a reset the first time). I believe the product is defective (hardware or software). The firmware is up to date (it's a new purchase and firmware was updated when installing).

Message 1 of 13
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Re: Nighthawk D7000 Router/DSL Modem - Can't log in after power outage

Only thing I can think of is to reset the router and do the setup again.

Message 2 of 13

Any chance that the power outage damaged the device's transformer?

Message 3 of 13
hyperhiker
Aspirant

Not likely. It's plugged into a surge protector.

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@wcalifas831 wrote:

Only thing I can think of is to reset the router and do the setup again.

I agree, it is the right next step.

Usually the router has no issue with unexpected power cuts, so it is a bit odd.

Message 5 of 13
William10a
Master

May be not power supply that plugs in the wall however there the phone line How long you the modem unplug for?

Do you also uplug the phone line too?

Let them stay this way for about 2 to 3 minutes there may be caps are holding a charge they discharge over time.

Message 6 of 13
hyperhiker
Aspirant

I disconnected power (unplugged) and the phone line for about 20 minutes. Reconnected it all, got internet back. Attempting to log in I got the same result.

Message 7 of 13
William10a
Master

Sounds like its time to call Netgear.

Message 8 of 13
hyperhiker
Aspirant

I did call Netgear before I posted this to the community. I told them I thought the device was defective and could I get a new one. I was told that they couldn't do that (so much for the warranty). I'm supposed to do a reset. The support guy treated me like an idiot (he said I must have caps lock on or something). I asked to speak to his supervisor, was put on hold for half an hour and then they hung up on me.

The problem I have with this solution is I have done this once already and I have to do setup again. I change quite a few things (cameras I access from outside, ftp setup, etc). It's not a very viable solution if I have to reset my router every time I want to access it.

Message 9 of 13
William10a
Master

This answer sounds like a very big pain. I understand your pain in small way if I lose power for second or more both the modem and router have to be unplug,let them sit, plug the modem in first then after 3 minutes past the router in. If you live in Florida and a lightning storm comes your way pray that pass you by.

Message 10 of 13

@hyperhiker wrote:
It's not a very viable solution if I have to reset my router every time I want to access it.

Most Netgear devices allow you to save your current configuration.

See page 221 of the manual for the D7000.

Message 11 of 13
William10a
Master

Can you save your router configuration as a file to a remote computer and reload it later?

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

Can you save your router configuration as a file to a remote computer and reload it later?

Yes.  Sometimes there are issues after a firmware update, but if you are simply resetting it you can just restore the saved config.

You can also get a UPS for the router (and any ISP equipment), which would keep your network operational through short outages.  A Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD will keep it running for quite a while Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7