Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X4S (D7800) keeps locking up completely and dropping all connections

funderstruck
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S (D7800) keeps locking up completely and dropping all connections

I have a Nighthawk D7800 X4S which intermittently locks up completely and drops all active connections to the router.    A reboot is always required and when restarted, the logs have been wiped so I can't see what happened in the lead up to the crash.

I've always kept up to date with the latest firmware (currently V1.0.1.44).

I'm connected to NBN (FTTN) is Australia via iiNet.   When the router is operating normally, the performance is fine.    

This has been occurring since I bought the device about five months ago and no matter what I change in the config, I cannot seem to prevent this.  One thing I did note is that when I have QoS enabled, it's much worse.  This feature is unusable.

On once of the crashes, the modem completely reset itself.

I have also performed a full factory reset and started from scratch but to no avail.

Any help is apprecated!

Liam

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: Nighthawk X4S (D7800) keeps locking up completely and dropping all connections

What symptoms do you see? ("Locks Up" could mean many things.) What do the LEDs look like when this happens? 

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

If you still have issues, I'd look into a warranty return.

Message 2 of 8
funderstruck
Aspirant

As I said in my original message, when it locks up, it drops all active connectsons.  By that I mean both wireless and ethernet.   The SSID is no longer broadcast.   A computer is plugged directly into one ethernet port and it has no internet access nor can it access the admin console of the router.

The only LED in use at the time of crash is the one to signify that the power is on. All others are off.

Yes, after factory reset, i flashed with new firmware and configured the modem again manually from scratch and not from a backup config file.

Message 3 of 8
funderstruck
Aspirant

Still nothing getting this resolved.  The product is being returned.

I don't have much good say for Netgear on this one.  The lack of support when a product is outside 90 days old is astonishing.

Message 4 of 8
syed5
Aspirant

hi, i had the same issue i spoke to one of the technical support i am explaining everything like you mention but i got case Internet connection dropping every week not i metioned the one then they mentiony to go back where i bought and replace the modem instead of fix

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 5 of 8
syed5
Aspirant

hi, after returned do you have find any other model or go for another brand if that so please specify one ill never buy or suggest myfriends to buy netgear worst support worst brand ever

Message 6 of 8
funderstruck
Aspirant

I returned it to the online retailer I purchased it from..still waiting on my refund (Device Deal is their name .. Australian)

I purchased another Netgear device from another retailer - the XR500 and so far I havent had any issue.  Running at 8 days uptime without a failure.

Netgear support is dreadful given that they'll only support 90 days for telephone.  A competitor such as Linksys will give a year.  

The online retailer I bought it from was pretty poor too. (Device Deal).  I have my suspicions that they are resellers of refurbished equipment.

Message 7 of 8
syed5
Aspirant

hi , i bought the same online dealer Device Deal i better returned to the them as well

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7