Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No updates for over a year for my AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Model D7000

ROGA1
Tutor

No updates for over a year for my AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Model D7000

Hello all, 

I have had my D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 router for over a year. 

A short time after having the router I decided to check for updates. After learning that I could access all the router settings via www.routerlogin.net I completed the login information and logged in. 

The first time I did this it showed at the top that security updates were available and I completed all of these updates successfully. It's now been roughly a year since installing these very first updates, but I have never seen any available since the first time.

I was wondering if you need to use a different method of obtaining security updates ? 

After logging in to www.routerlogin.net I am able to then select "check for updates" but it never shows that any are available ? and it's been that way for all this time.

Perhaps this router isn't supported now ? or, I need to manually download and install ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards to all.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

what firmware version are you on? 

Message 2 of 14

@ROGA1 wrote:

After logging in to www.routerlogin.net I am able to then select "check for updates" but it never shows that any are available ?

Sadly, this is not a reliable process.

The latest update was a couple of months ago.

D7000 Firmware Version 1.0.1.84 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 14
ROGA1
Tutor

Hello and a BIG thank you for your replies 😁

I have checked the firmware version that my router has at the moment, as follows:

Firmware Version

V1.0.0.66_1.0.2

This me looks out of date which , leads me to my next question/s.

As it shows no updates by using the check for updates button within the routers admin page, I'm assuming there is an alternative way to obtain and install the updates.

I'm certainly no expert and this is all new to me. However, my understanding is that I need to download the update file, save it in a convenient place (such as the desktop) then go into the routers admin page and attach/ upload the file manually. (see attached)

I'm not certain this is the correct way of going about it, but I'm 80% sure that's right ?

Also, is there a place where you can find new Firmware versions for your router ?

I also noticed that over on the far left of the screenshot it says under NETGEAR.... D7000v2. Does this effect in any way which update I need ? or is Version 1.0.1.84 the correct and latest version regardless of this ?

Warmest regards and thank you again !

Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

Your version matches V2 of the D7000. 

You can get the firmware here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000v2

then just follow the manual update process. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 5 of 14
ROGA1
Tutor

Thanks again ! 😊

Is it ok to just jump straight to the very latest version without having to install previous versions first ?

Kind regards.

Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

You should be able to. Doesn't mean you will as I've seen a few where you had to go by steps but you could skip some versions. 

I'd try it. 

Message 7 of 14

@plemans wrote:

Doesn't mean you will as I've seen a few where you had to go by steps but you could skip some versions. 

I'd try it. 

Absolutely.

Those major changes are rare. From past explanations, they seem to be related to how the firmware allocates the memory where the device performs its magic.

These "gotchas" are rare. But if someone is making a big leap in firmware it might be a good idea to save the current settings, then reset the device before applying the new firmware. Then restore the settings.

That is another trick that has been shown to work in the past.

Message 8 of 14
ROGA1
Tutor

Well thanks again for all your replies.

I have looked at the release notes for each version, starting at my current version and going through to the latest version.

It would seam that in each new version security updates are the documented change.

I would then imagine that installing the latest version would also bring all of the previous updates with it ?

Regards 🙂

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

yes. Thats why you can jump to the latest. Its only when there's provisioning issues that you some times have to do a specific one first. 

Message 10 of 14
ROGA1
Tutor

I must say a BIG thanks again for your replies, much appreciated 🙂

Please forgive me for appearing stupid but this is all new to me and never done anything like this before.

Ok, I noticed that when I download the new update it's in a "zipped" file form.

Does this new update file have to be unzipped first before it can be uploaded to the router ? and if so, how is this done ?

Many thanks again. 

Message 11 of 14

@ROGA1 wrote:

Does this new update file have to be unzipped first before it can be uploaded to the router ? and if so, how is this done ?

Yes. "Unzipping" is one of those basic operations that everyone assumes that we all know about. (Like opening a file.) Not much help to someone who hasn't been there before.

The unzip process is built into Windows and Macs. They should be able to guide you through the process. (Just try a right click on the file or "double click" it and see what happens.)

Then follow  the upload instructions in the release notes, the manual or this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 12 of 14
ROGA1
Tutor

A BIG thank you again !

I just want to be certain that what I'm doing is correct as I'm not 100% sure. 

I have downloaded the latest zipped update file (see screen shot)

After downloading I moved the folder to the desktop, which appears as a zipped folder icon.

I then double clicked on the zipped folder and it shows the latest version file at the top, then below it shows a release notes internet link. Above these two files (see screenshot) there's an option / button that says "extract all" Do I need to press this button or is the file already unzipped ?

I think I can just move the update file on to the desktop for convenience then up;oad it to the router ?

Kind regards and many thanks again.

Message 13 of 14

@ROGA1 wrote:

I then double clicked on the zipped folder and it shows the latest version file at the top, then below it shows a release notes internet link. Above these two files (see screenshot) there's an option / button that says "extract all" Do I need to press this button or is the file already unzipped ?

Jeez, I hate Windows Explorer. Nasty piece of software.

Try to drag and drop the .chk file to your desktop. It should work. Or "Extract all" and read the Release Notes.

Ignore the label. It is not a "Recovered File Fragment".

I think I can just move the update file on to the desktop for convenience then upload it to the router ?

You've got it. Be careful when you do this. Do not interrupt the process or do it when the power is likely to go off. (In a thunderstorm for example.) It should take about five minutes.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7