Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router loses Wi-fi broadcast every 24hours or so

Greysquirrel
Aspirant

Router loses Wi-fi broadcast every 24hours or so

I recently purchased the d7000 v2 vdsl router to use with EE broadband.
Setup was straightforward and the router works fine for 24-48 hours when devices connected to Wi-fi start dropping off. If I disable Wi-fi on my iPhone and ask it to search again the SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz are not found and I have to reset the router. All is then fine for another day or so until the same thing happens. I have updated the FW to the latest on the site (although I see reference to a beta that is not publicly available.)

Any ideas, faulty router?
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
JR-
Tutor
Tutor

Seems like a common issue, make sure your firmware is up to date, 1.0.0.53, use separate Wi-Fi networks for 2.4 and 5ghz, with same password but different names, I.e add 5 to the 5ghz network name. Then, manually chose the network channels, I recommend 36 on 5, and start at 1 on 2.4, changing only 2.4 channel when the issue reoccurs. This is likely if your in a built up area as they seem to be succeptible to interference. Hope this helps, lots of threads on here already covering this if you search. 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 2 of 4
JR-
Tutor
Tutor

Update:. Really thought id bought a lemon with this product, however i seem to be makig good headway and the performance is best ive had to date with speed over wifi and etheernet on any device. After reading so many bad accounts i thought, damn, mistake. 

So, yes i got dropouts, losing 2.4ghs frequently. then my devices would drop off 5ghs and id have to switch off wifi then back on to access the network. Connection would drop even though it showed i was connected..

so, what have i done - i hope this helps, right now it seems to be very stable..

1 check your firmaware version, do it manually as the router may tell you there is no new version. Cant stress the impotance of this enough

2 check your channel settings in wifi, set to manual and change the channel on 2.4ghz incrementally until you reach a level of stability

3 same with 5ghz, although chanel 36 got it straight away for me.

4 set wifi to use the same password on 2.4 and 5 (dont need to do this but makes life easier)

check config page for broadband - make sure uptime isnt showing dropped connections to your provider, i had a line fault initally casuing line disconnects and this is a good indicator

5 use an app to check network speed around the home, i use wifi sweetspots on apple iphone for this and www.speedpfme for internet speed. If you are able to compare stats with a hardired device or computer all the better. This is the first time ive achieved parity in this regard.

6 ok, so after all  of this i still had the odd drop off on 5ghz. note that i have 3-4 5ghz devices and around 15 on 2.4ghz, leading me to suspect overload. I set the CTS/RTS to half the set value to see if this intial settign aleviated the problem So far so good, no dropouts.

one other thing to note, i have set my main devices to static IPs to ensure there is no conflict with addressing.

I also noted that until i altered the CTS/RTS parameters my wifes iphoine continually struggled with connections to instagram and whatsapp.

Right now, its working as i expected it to work, took a little persuasion but im getting there, if not fixed. I think networkingn is gettign more complex due to the number and complexity of the devices connected to it these days, including the Internet of things, watches, heating thermostats and suchlike as well as multiple games consoles etc. Im lucky in that i was brought up IT savvy and worked in IT most of my life so i have no issue reading, changing, logging, changing until resolved but most people arent like this. Thats why these forums are so important and reading the many posts here has speeded up resolution of my issues. Sp, note to self, read and read some more...

If i have any further issues and subsequent fixes, ill post here in the hope i can help someone else.

Message 3 of 4
JR-
Tutor
Tutor

Final update.

All working as it should and no more drop outs.

Main cause of my issues seems to be that the router will not happily co exist with other local routers on tha same channels. This affects the router in a number of ways:

1 router locks up occaisionally

2 devices drop off the router and struggle to re connect

3 throughput is eratic, speeds drop out continuously

4 refresh times on web pages or apps poor

If you read my posts you will see ive changed so many parameters in an attempt to resolve this. I have since reset to standard and started again, simply using a wifi scanner to see who is using what channels. I now operate 2.4 and 5ghz on separate channels away from my neighbours and i no longer suffer the issues ive had. (this does not include the line fault, which is also sorted out) anad note, one neighbour turns his router on and off when he needs it so tracking him down was purley by chance.

I would not have believed a router would be so suseptible to interference from other routers but it seems it is. Once set up correctly though, this is an impressive bit of kit. Oh, and the recent cloudflare issue locked the router up completely - i have it set to use cloudflare DNS servers and their failure sent it into a spin.. All in all worth the effort, range now covers my house entirely with good throughput in all rooms and to the end of my garden too, a first since its about 100ft from the router. 

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7