Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Netgear D6220 with BT ADSL Broadband - How To?

dsjcshopmeister
Follower

Setting up Netgear D6220 with BT ADSL Broadband - How To?

Hi all,

I have an old-skool Netgear D6220 Router and I'm replacing my BT HomeHub with it.

I phoned BT and they told me to ask this question here, since they don't support the setting up of 3rd Party Routers ( though they do confirm they can be used with their network).

Has anyone ever set up a Netgear Router with standard BT ADSL-Based Broadband before?

I need to know:

Transfer Mode

DSL Mode

Multiplexing Method

VPI

VCI

Use VLANID? (checkbox)

VLANID Priority (if so)

Does BT Home Broadband require a Login

(If so) Username

(if so) Password

Encapsulation Type (PPPoE / PPPoA)

Get DNS Automatically from ISP?

NAT Enable/Disable

Use Default Router MAC Address?

All the above questions are from the Router's Advanced Internet Setup Configuration Page.

Anyone who has set up a Netgear Router to successfully work with BT Home Broadband (ADSL, not Fibre) I would really like to hear from you!

Much Thanks!

Message 1 of 2

Re: Setting up Netgear D6220 with BT ADSL Broadband - How To?

@dsjcshopmeister wrote:

I have an old-skool Netgear D6220 Router and I'm replacing my BT HomeHub with it.

The D6200 is a modem/router, not a router. It makes a difference.

Are you really on ADSL? There can't be much of that on the BT network these days. VDSL is more common. Even that is dying.

Which HomeHub do you have and why do you want to ditch it? I ask because BT's hardware may be horrible, I avoid it, but the router bit of the latest HomeHub may be more capable than the eight-year old D6220. Where did you acquire this dinosaur?

Has anyone ever set up a Netgear Router with standard BT ADSL-Based Broadband before?

Many many, times, but these days I am on VDSL and haven't had to handle ADSL in quite some time.

I need to know:

Transfer Mode

DSL Mode

Multiplexing Method

VPI

VCI

Use VLANID? (checkbox)

VLANID Priority (if so)

Does BT Home Broadband require a Login

(If so) Username

(if so) Password

Encapsulation Type (PPPoE / PPPoA)

Get DNS Automatically from ISP?

NAT Enable/Disable

Use Default Router MAC Address?

Most of those you can happily ignore. Mostly it is a case of using the default settings. So the first move could be to reset the D6200 and run its Internet setup wizard. It should detect most of the settings you need.

From memory, all you really need to worry about is the Encapsulation Type. It is PPPoE.

Your login details are your BT email address as the username. No password needed.

Rather than phoning BT, if you need more help try its on line-community. There won't be many ADSL people there, but you won't get the corporate brush off.

Welcome to BT’s official support community.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7