Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Subnet change from .68 to .1

AndrewCra
Aspirant

Subnet change from .68 to .1

D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900

Need assistance with set-up of home network. Following scenario and devices involved:

I have internet through a tp-link mesh extender, but I can manage this network. Unfortunately it is in the 192.16.68.1/24 network range and there is no way for me to change this, because I don't have access to this network configuration. So I got the Nighthawk and I'm trying to set-up my own wifi network and connect a cable to the tp-link for internet. My own wifi will be in the correct ip-range: 192.168.1.1/24

TP-Link wireless AP

• Deco M5 2.0
  • DHCP enabled
  • 192.168.68.0/24 subnet
  • SSID “HomeNetwork”
  • Not managed by me = no access to config
  • 2 RJ45 ethernet ports

Netgear AC1900 WiFi Router

• Needs to “extend” the “HomeNetwork” from TP-Link wireless AP, or be individual SSID, eg. “WorkNet”
  • 192.168.1.0/24 subnet
  • Fully managed by me
  • Port 1-3 Gigabit ethernet ports
  • Port 4 either Gigabit ethernet or Internet WAN port (dual function)

As you can see above, I need to connect and configure the AC1900 to basically act as an extender of the tp-link’s “HomeNetwork”. This should be on another SSID, important is that the subnet used from the AC1900 is 192.168.1.0/24

What I have tried:

1. Use AC1900 as DHCP Server
    1. Enable DHCP on AC1900
    2. WiFi Network with DHCP pool 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.230
    3. Port 4 uplink to tp-link as internet gateway
  2. Use AC1900 as simple wifi router 
    1. Disable DHCP on AC1900
    2. WiFi Network with DHCP pool 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.230
    3. Port 1 uplink to tp-link as internet gateway,
    4. IP configurations tried
      1. AC1900 with fixed IP
      2. AC1900 relying on tp-link to assign IP
  3. Use AAC1900 as simple wifi AP
    1. Lan setup:
      1. Netgear IP: 192.168.1.1
      2. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      3. DHCP: disabled
      4. WAN / Internet Port: UNUSED
      5. Uplink to tp-link via Port 2 of built-in router
    2. Static Route:
      1. Destination: 192.168.68.0
      2. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      3. Gateway: 192.168.68.1
      4. Metric: 2 (needed to be > 1)

The 3rd connection makes it impossible to connect to the Wi-Fi if I don’t have DHCP enabled. But with DHCP, the tp-link expectedly assigned an IP to my device. Afterwards I change my wireless adapter to static IP to 192.168.1.200, but lose internet connectivity.

Not sure what other configurations I can try to get this working properly. I’m sure I’m missing something somewhere?

Can somebody point me in the right direction in terms of cabling and configuration that I need to look at further?

I think this is basic set-up, however it does not seem to be possible to realize.

Surely I’m missing something somewhere?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Only the WAN/Internet port as uplink to your provider mesh. Don't interconnect the D7000v2 (or any other Ethernet router) WAN and LAN port - unless you want to create a mess. As you already figured... What concerns me is that it appears you still try to link the Netgear router LAN with the 192.168.0.x/24 subnet with the other Mesh system. A no-go.

Of course, with the Netgear getting a 192.168.68.x address from the Mesh on the Internet/WAB port, any system getting a DHCP config in the LAN provided by the Netgear router LAN or Wi-Fi will allow the Internet access, too

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

No, nothing basic here: Simply impossible to extend in the way you expect to do it on the same LAN. 

For what purpose you need this 192.168.68.0/24 IP subnet, it's not even managed by you? Why is this 192.168.1.0/24 so essential? In any bridge (access point mode), you need the same Ethernet broadcast domain, the same IP subnet.

Why is using the D7000v2 as a wired router as a NAT router, serving your own LAN and Wi-Fi, sooo impossible? This means using your own network -only-, getting the WAN from the Deko system, and configure the D7000v2 as an Ethernet (NAT) router, as lined out on the RT*M "Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service" on p.26 ff of the fine manual?

Message 2 of 11

As with all of these things, don't start without idea of "the solution", get back to basics and explain what you want to achieve.

Take this bit:

@AndrewCra wrote:

So I got the Nighthawk and I'm trying to set-up my own wifi network and connect a cable to the tp-link for internet.

What is this TP-Link? You say it is a wireless AP. Trying to configure a router to work with that is cart-before-horse territory.

Then there is the "Netgear AC1900 WiFi Router". Your message says D7000v2. That's not a router. It is a DSL modem/router. This is very different from a router.

Is the D7000v2 the modem that connects you to the Internet?

If so, the way to use it with an access point is to set up the D7000v2 and then to add access points to that.

But you also say of the TP-LInk

"Not managed by me = no access to config"

Then your description says: TP-Link Deco M5. That's not an access point. It is a Mesh router.

I assume that it get an Internet connection from some modem or other. What is that?

So what are you really trying to do? Hutch a ride on someone else's network? In which case, what is the D7000v2 DSL modem/router doing in there?

So, back to the original question. Forget about faffing around with IP addresses. As @schumaku says, it makes no sense.

What do you really want to achieve?

Message 3 of 11
AndrewCra
Aspirant

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies, I do appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me with this issue.

Please excuse if I don't understand some of the terminology used, or confuse technical details.

I have created a sketch to visualize what I'm trying to achieve here.

Please note the following:

1. I have paid access to the Deco M5 mesh extender (it's in my house, given to me). Both wireless and wired

2. The Netgear Nighthawk I had lying around and I'm trying to put it to use

3. Connecting a computer via ethernet (no static IP -> DHCP, and wi-fi turned off) to the ethernet ports on the Deco M5 mesh extender will provide internet access

4. I'm not trying to extend the original wireless network (SSID HomeNetwork), but rather create my own wireless network (SSID WorkNet) but using a different sub-net

5. I'm using devices and services that can ONLY be set to use subnet 192.168.0.1/24 or 192.168.1.1/24. Therefore using these on subnet .68 is not possible, hence why I want a dedicated wireless network

_HomeNetworks.png

Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Instead attempting the impossible, start with the D7000v2 in factory default status. Connect the D7000v2 WAN/Internet port (not the LAN port as shwon in the graphic attached) to the Deco as the Internet connection. Leave DHCP on the LAN enabled. Any device you connect to the D7000v2 LAN will get an IP address in the either the 192.168.0.x/24, including the D7000v2 WiFi if desired. Yes, the Internet connection is double NATed (some friends here will start arguing). Exactly fits your points 1..5. Problem solved? 

Message 5 of 11

@AndrewCra wrote:

4. I'm not trying to extend the original wireless network (SSID HomeNetwork), but rather create my own wireless network (SSID WorkNet) but using a different sub-net

Why?

Message 6 of 11
AndrewCra
Aspirant

Hi michael,

Thank you for this question.

I don't wish to extend an extended network. If I wanted that I could ask for another Deco M5 mesh extender to be added.

All I want is a different subnet, so the devices bound to subnet 192.168.0.1/24 and subnet 192.168.1.1/24 work.

This does not have to make sense to you, nor meet your requirements, please understand it's just what I want and need.

And if the Netgear Nighthawk is the wrong choice of hardware, please advise which hardware I would need, keeping the original constraints of the Deco M5 mesh extender in mind.

Thank you

Message 7 of 11
AndrewCra
Aspirant

Hi @schumaku

Thank you for this suggestion.

It's what I have tried originally and mentioned in my opening post. I might not have explicitly posted that I tried both the WAN and LAN ports for the uplink

If I leave DHCP on the netgear enabled, correct I get IPs assigned in the network specified under the DHCP pool, but the internet won't work. And if disable DHCP on the netgear, internet will work, but I get IPs assigned in the 192.168.68.1/24 subnet

Message 8 of 11

@AndrewCra wrote:

This does not have to make sense to you, nor meet your requirements, please understand it's just what I want and need.

It is not my inability to understand your replies that is the problem so much as your failure to provide answers that help us to understand what you really want to achieve. Only then can anyone tell you how best to get there.

Think of it like this, you ask us how to build a road to get from A to B.

We ask why?

You answer, so that people can get to work every day.

We might answer, have you thought of building a railway line?

As @schumaku has told you, you started off asking for the impossible. Sadly, you seem to be fixated on your idea of the solution.

All I want is a different subnet, so the devices bound to subnet 192.168.0.1/24 and subnet 192.168.1.1/24 work.

Why? What do you expect to achieve with that?

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Only the WAN/Internet port as uplink to your provider mesh. Don't interconnect the D7000v2 (or any other Ethernet router) WAN and LAN port - unless you want to create a mess. As you already figured... What concerns me is that it appears you still try to link the Netgear router LAN with the 192.168.0.x/24 subnet with the other Mesh system. A no-go.

Of course, with the Netgear getting a 192.168.68.x address from the Mesh on the Internet/WAB port, any system getting a DHCP config in the LAN provided by the Netgear router LAN or Wi-Fi will allow the Internet access, too
Message 10 of 11
AndrewCra
Aspirant

Thank you @schumaku for a constructive contribution.

Again my apologies if me asking my question, or my set-up goals haven't been clearly communicated, or upset anyone

I will do more research into how to get a network established and internet access with the current means.

Thanks again for any helpful contributions

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7