Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The D7000 and Devolo power line extenders are broadcasting on different wifi frequencies

Mickeytheone
Aspirant

The D7000 and Devolo power line extenders are broadcasting on different wifi frequencies

I have the fabulous D7000 NIghthawk router and I extend it using two devolo powerline extenders - the router shows up on the system with the same name and password as the devolo extenders with a separate wireless access point and I want them to be all the same.  How do I get just one signal so I can move from one access point to another without losing/waiting for the new signal, please?  Did I do something in setting up the whole system that created different access points?  Many thanks, Michael

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: The D7000 and Devolo power line extenders are broadcasting on different wifi frequencies

Hello Mickeytheone 

That is not really possible you would need business APs or a mesh network like Orbi.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
Mickeytheone
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply Darren - I definitely have two different signals with the same name and password, one in my office where the router is located and another from my two devolo extenders.  When I move from the position of the devolo's into the office, I lose the wifi signal until it recovers and vice versa.  I have wifi support to my iPhone and it actually disconnects when I go between the different signals.  When you mention mesh, I have had Sky Q installed with a mini box which is supposed to use mesh but I don't use it because my house is to long for the mesh, so I don't whether that is a cause.  Anyway, I do have two signals and it ruins the continuity of my signal - any ideas?

Message 3 of 6

@Mickeytheone wrote:

I definitely have two different signals with the same name and password...

Tried different SSIDs? Same password.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Mickeytheone wrote:

The D7000 and Devolo power line extenders are broadcasting on different wifi frequencies ... I definitely have two different signals with the same name and password, one in my office where the router is located and another from my two devolo extenders.

Absolutely normal. Under ideal conditions, each wireless access within the same reach point would run on a different, non-overlapping channel. In reality, this is almost impossible, because modern AP use almost all the channels (only three wild be non-overlapping channels) today on 22 or 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz. On 5 GHz, all channels are on-overlapping, but here a WLAN AP can use up to 80 or 160 MHz, the number of non-overlapping channels depends on the regulatory area. One ODM (with two or three vendors) had implemented a WiFi carpet technology. Cumbersome was the run-time and interferences created .. just like (or even worse) when operating AM or FM broadcast equipment on the same frequencies.

@Mickeytheone wrote:

I have wifi support to my iPhone and it actually disconnects when I go between the different signals.

Back to WiFi. Ideally, you operate all WLAN AP on the same SSID and the same passphrase. This does simplify the WLAN client roaming. Most business class WLAN AP do support pre-authentication, central key handling, and fast roaming (these are the requirements for a seamless handover, standardized as 802.11r) to keep a VoIP connection up while moving between different AP. This capability does not exist on consumer class WLAN AP and routers. Worse, the roaming decision is left to the WLA client, ie. in your phone. If you have a reasonable good WLAN coverage between the two AP with a good overlap, every decent client will change to the next better AP with ease. However, without 802.11r, there will be a short interruption in the data communication. For a mobile phone in reach of a 4G/LTE network, the challenge is even higher - of the WiFi coverage on the half way is not sufficient, it will connect to the mobile network provider. This does again add some delay in the roaming process. 

@Mickeytheone wrote:

When you mention mesh, I have had Sky Q installed with a mini box which is supposed to use mesh but I don't use it because my house is to long for the mesh, so I don't whether that is a cause. 

Any kind of WiFi extenders or a wireless mesh does require excellent WiFi connection to keep the backbone up and running reliably and in a reasonable performance. 

@Mickeytheone wrote:

Anyway, I do have two signals and it ruins the continuity of my signal

No, this is not the case. As I've tried to explain before, this does not compare with an generic radio like FM receivers and FM broadcast networks.

The trick might be to move the WLAN AP nearer together, or add another Devolo on the half way.

Undoubted, installing some CAT6A or better network cables and using simple business class APs like the WAC510 would make a much better solution.

Message 5 of 6
Mickeytheone
Aspirant

This is a brilliant reply and I thank you so much - the only thing is, it didnt used to be like that.  At one time, it was all one system, there wasnt separate same name/password frequencies I could tune into and I could move through my long house with everything connected.  I will explore having an extra power extender between the router and the nearest devolo and see what happens.   Many thanks, once again, Michael

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7