Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to setup router after reset (N600 - DGND3700v2)

Lorne50
Aspirant

Unable to setup router after reset (N600 - DGND3700v2)

I reset my router intending to set it up as a bridge but I can no longer get into the settings pages.  If I power up the router and connect it to my laptop with a network cable a browser window saying Netgear Genie pops automatically up but none of the options work and I see no way to bypass them.  If I select manual setup nothing happens when I press next,  If I select auto setup it says there is no ADSL cable connected but the cable works fine in my other router.  If I unplug the network cable and close the browser the pluging the cable back in auto starts the browser at the genie page.

I have tried to put www.routerlogin.net/basicsettings.htm into the browser but it defaults back to the genie page.  Also tried to close the browser and start with the http address in a run box but same happens.  Tried resetting again but no joy. 

How do I get it back to factory settings when the reset button does not do that ?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Lorne50
Aspirant

Re: Unable to setup router after reset (N600 - DGND3700v2)

I have got it working now.  Once I had got rid of the Genie app by getting an internet connection via the cable port I was able to move the ethernet cable to a LAN port, change the IP to one outside the DHCP range but in the same IP range as the main router (ie 192.168.0.something) and setup everything I wanted manually so it now operates as a WiFi repeater and I can access Readyshare or the setup screens from the other router or any Wireless connected device as well as those connected by cable to the Netgear.  Quite why they allow the router to get into a mode where it is impossible to get out of the Genie setup wizard without first connecting it to the internet is a mystery however.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
William10a
Master

Here is a link to the manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3700V2/DGND3700v2_UM_05June2014.pdf

How did you reset the unit the manual says there are too ways one clears the router the orther clears the modem?

Message 2 of 6
Lorne50
Aspirant

I reset it via the reset button on the back.

By trial and error I got a partial solution - if I connect an ethernet cable from the internet connected router to the cable/fibre port instead of a LAN port on the Netgear the genie springs into life and finds an internet connection and gives me access to the setup menu, however I can't set an IP address for the Netgear or any computer connected to it that is in the same range as the main router so the computers are on 2 networks and do not see each other.. 

The internet router has gateway 192.168.0.1 and DHCP set for 192.168.0.10-199.  The Genie set the Netgear up with IP 10.0.0.1.  I can change it to 192.168.1.1 but if I try any address that starts 192.168.0.? I get an error message saying there is a conflict with the WAN.  I tried turning off DHCP on the netgear but devices connected to it still have an IP that starts 192.168.1.?.

Any ideas how to get computers to see each other if I stick with this setup ?  If possible I like this setup as the USB ports are active on the netgear whereas they get disabled if I set it up as a wireles repeater.

Message 3 of 6
William10a
Master

@Lorne50 wrote:

I reset it via the reset button on the back.

By trial and error I got a partial solution - if I connect an ethernet cable from the internet connected router to the cable/fibre port instead of a LAN port on the Netgear the genie springs into life and finds an internet connection and gives me access to the setup menu, however I can't set an IP address for the Netgear or any computer connected to it that is in the same range as the main router so the computers are on 2 networks and do not see each other.. 

The internet router has gateway 192.168.0.1 and DHCP set for 192.168.0.10-199.  The Genie set the Netgear up with IP 10.0.0.1.  I can change it to 192.168.1.1 but if I try any address that starts 192.168.0.? I get an error message saying there is a conflict with the WAN.  I tried turning off DHCP on the netgear but devices connected to it still have an IP that starts 192.168.1.?.

Any ideas how to get computers to see each other if I stick with this setup ?  If possible I like this setup as the USB ports are active on the netgear whereas they get disabled if I set it up as a wireles repeater.

I see what you want I believe that a plain router would serve better this device is design with adsl phoneline  modem features.

You are talking the gray port next the yellow lan ports it is for a lan cable from a modem as would bypass the dsl modem part of the modem/router the 10.0.0.1  address will work the nat service of the router will keep your private network from the outside public internet network and the 192.168.1.1 and so on are ok they with the subnet range.

I would dhcp on it allows the router to hand out ip address to the diferent devices on you newtork

Here is a manual for the modem/router you have http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3700V2/DGND3700v2_UM_05June2014.pdf

May not be the right device for the job this  adsl telephone line modem/router.

What does the isp require of the attached device to use their service?

The usb port will not do any network it is for a external usb drive or hard drive to be used with ready share.

Message 4 of 6
Lorne50
Aspirant

I have got it working now.  Once I had got rid of the Genie app by getting an internet connection via the cable port I was able to move the ethernet cable to a LAN port, change the IP to one outside the DHCP range but in the same IP range as the main router (ie 192.168.0.something) and setup everything I wanted manually so it now operates as a WiFi repeater and I can access Readyshare or the setup screens from the other router or any Wireless connected device as well as those connected by cable to the Netgear.  Quite why they allow the router to get into a mode where it is impossible to get out of the Genie setup wizard without first connecting it to the internet is a mystery however.

Message 5 of 6
William10a
Master

I forget about Genie genie does have its issues and many of the features on the package adds require it never been a fan of apps to set up a router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7