Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very disappointing performance with my Nightawk X4S D7800 (100 MBit to not even 10!!!)

mastro
Star

Very disappointing performance with my Nightawk X4S D7800 (100 MBit to not even 10!!!)

I just got my new Fiber Internet connection, tested it with the provided router, from my internet provider, it reached 93 / 20 MBits download / upload, prettry happy with it...

Then i switched to my router thinking it would be even better to be GREATLY disappointed: 8.25 / 0.67 Mbit......

See it for yourself:

That is NOT acceptable, AT ALL!!!

Is there something wrong with my router? should I do something else?

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
mastro
Star

Re: Very disappointing performance with my Nightawk X4S D7800 (100 MBit to not even 10!!!)

Found the problem and fixed it, now my D7800 goes as fast as the ISP provider one...

It was QoS.

I started randomly shutting down stuff and testing speed until when I disabled QoS I saw the speed go up all of a sudden!!!

Apparently I just had to re-do my speed test in the QoS section. Now I have QoS enabled and router goes at top speed! Great!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies

@mastro wrote:

Then i switched to my router thinking it would be even better to be GREATLY disappointed: 8.25 / 0.67 Mbit......

What does "switched to" mean? You put it after your ISP's device? You replaced their device?

The D7800 (or is it the D7000v2 listed in your footer?) is a DSL modem/router. It will not work with a cable internet service, if that is really what you have. Fiber Internet could mean anything. ISPs love throwing words like fibre around to make themselves look good.

What is the device that gets you on to the internet?

If you have just plugged a modem/router into some other box, then you need to change the set up on the modem/router or on the ISP's modem.

How you do that depends on the hardware you are using.

Message 2 of 14
mastro
Star

It's a Fiber to the Cabinet FFTC.

VDSLv2

I already know the D7800 I have doesn't support the 35b profile but i didn't expected to perform so poorly.

By switched I mean used the D7800 as modem instead of the one provided.. seemed prettry obvious to me.

As it seemed obvious it was a VDSL since the D7800 doesn't support cable fiber.

Message 3 of 14

@mastro wrote:

By switched I mean used the D7800 as modem instead of the one provided.. seemed prettry obvious to me.

What is obvious to you is far from clear to other people who cannot read your mind.

@mastro wrote:

I

As it seemed obvious it was a VDSL since the D7800 doesn't support cable fiber.

Again you have a funny idea of "obvious".

The D7800 can support cable fibre, albeit not as a modem. See the section Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service in the manual:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Then again, is that the modem you have or is it the D7000v2 listed in your footer?

Message 4 of 14
mastro
Star

I don't want to be rude but you replied as assuming I was a complete idiot that didn't know what i was talking about.
In my opinion it was obvious to anyone who understand the topic and doesn't assume that I have no idea, but sure, I could be wrong.

I don't get why you say that my Modem doesn't support that network, I told you I connected with it so it DOES support it. The issue is with the performance of it. No hard feeling intended, I just want to know if there's an issue with configuration of this is the best I can get.

I'm going to explain it all again, this time, hopefully, not leaving anything out.

The fiber to cabinet (FTTC or FTTCab) get to the modem as VDSL2.

The D7800 support VDSL, you can see it from it's specs: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/D7800.pdf

If the modem didn't, as you said in the last post, I wouldn't even be able to connect. Instead, as you can see from what i shared, it DO connect.

The problem is that bandwidth sucks.

In more details:

FTTCab: Fiber get to the cabinet in front of the street, from there it is converted into VSDL using the traditional copper cable that reach my home with a standard phone connector (RJ11) carrying the VSDL signal.

That RJ11 is plugged into the modem VSDL input (Either the D7800 or the one provided by my ISP) and configured to connect (password VSDL ID etc..).

My computer connect to the modem/router via Ethernet Cable (or WiFi, but i tested all with cable cause the WiFi is expected to be slower then 100MBit).
If I use the D7800 as modem / router i get below 10 MBit download and well below 1 MBit upload. (ISP Modem is shut down in this configuration and not used at all)
If I use the modem / router provided by my ISP I get almost 100 / 20 MBit Down/Up (as it should). (D7800 is shut down in this configuration and not used at all)

My ISP specify that for a modem to work with their VSDL it has to support at least 8b and 17a profile, which the D7800 supports. But they suggest the 35b profile, which the D7800 is powerful enough to handle but currently doesn't support.

The 8b profile support at most 50 MBit download and 16 MBit upload.
The 17a profile support at most 100 MBit download and 50 MBit upload.

The 35b profile support at most 300 MBit download and 100 MBit upload.

So the 17a profile supported by the D7800 should, theoretically, be enough to support my network but it doesn't even come close to it.

This can mean either of these things:

• The D7800 sucks and I won't be able to use it to get proper network speed, ever
  • The D7800 is not well configured, and I was hoping to get suggestions / advices on the matter
  • My D7800 has some hardware issue

The ISP provided modem / router is not bad at all, but it doesn't support QoS and the WiFi signal is weaker and can't cover as well all the house. So if I could make the D7800 come close to the performance my network is capable off I'd prefer using it.

My ISP Provider is TIM Italy. The offer is called Tim Connect Gold Fiber.

I posted in this community to:

• know if someone else had similar issues
  • know if someone reach VSDL of 100MBit/20Mbit (Down/Up) with this router
  • obtain advices or potential configurations that could help

I really hope I now breaked all the things down without leaving anything for "obvious" and I'll get some feedback.

Message 5 of 14

@mastro wrote:
I don't get why you say that my Modem doesn't support that network,

Who said that? Not me.

Message 6 of 14
80njc80
Luminary

I have two D7800's.  No issues.  FTTN - circa 100mbs up and 40mbs down.

Message 7 of 14
80njc80
Luminary

I mean 100mbs down blah blah blah.

Message 8 of 14
mastro
Star

Any particular configuration you have for VSDL?

Message 9 of 14
80njc80
Luminary

I try and keep my setup as basic as possible i.e. turn off UPnP, media servers, no VPN or WPS etc etc.  I also reserve my media/gaming devices attached to a bridged unit in the reservation table 192.168.1.100 upwards.  Additionally, 99% of all other devices on connected on 5GHz channels.  I agree that the Netgear setup service is in part faulty but when it is done correctly I have had no issues.

I believe my internet settings are similar to what is documented on pg. 61 of the manual with exception to the location and provider fields etc.  There are too many other variables to note that could be causing you issue, software as well as environmental.

Message 10 of 14
mastro
Star

Found the problem and fixed it, now my D7800 goes as fast as the ISP provider one...

It was QoS.

I started randomly shutting down stuff and testing speed until when I disabled QoS I saw the speed go up all of a sudden!!!

Apparently I just had to re-do my speed test in the QoS section. Now I have QoS enabled and router goes at top speed! Great!

Message 11 of 14
80njc80
Luminary

Nice. Thought it would be a simple fix. I find the D7800 rock solid. Enjoy.
Message 12 of 14

Yes. Nice. And a new wrinkle on the QoS thing.

There are issues where an early response is "turn off QoS", when there is a bottleneck between modem and router for example. But that wasn't obvious in this case. Especially the "off then back on" bit.

Message 13 of 14
mastro
Star

I'm not sure if off then on fixed it.

I think what really fixed it was re-running the speed test:
QoS.png

Numbers there before was with my old ADSL line (which matched the "bad" performance test I shared in the first post)

But I can't know for sure because I did turn it off and on before re-running the test.

Definately something to keep in mind: if I ever increase the speed of my line I should go re-run that test.

But I think I'm at the limit for this router unless a new firmware add support for 35b profile 🙂

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series